Sign in to follow this  
Illyria

Somalia: A classic case of modern trusteeship

Illyria   

Somalia is a modern trusteeship of which affairs are being managed by the international community where its leaders, project manager to be more accurate, have neither the authority nor the capacity to oversee its affairs. Are its citizens aware of that? I wish to come back to develop the argument another day.

Mario B   

It's citizen are aware, that they are elements inside/outside the country who don't want a central authority to form in the Republic because......[ you fill in the details]

Wadani   

Illyria;934577 wrote:
Somalia is a modern trusteeship of which affairs are being managed by the international community where its leaders, project manager to be more accurate, have neither the authority nor the capacity to oversee its affairs. Are its citizens aware of that? I wish to come back to develop the argument another day.

Yet they have the audacity to tell Somaliland, a state where the citizens do have a say, to join it's abysmal state of modern trusteeship. SHM.

Baashi   

The answer to your question is NO. Unfortunately!

Mistrust between them has blinded them and gotten the better of them. And if one is to look back their short history one will tend to cut them some slack.

Government – as they come to know it – is a platform for the clan in power to do what it pleases at the expense of other clans. Justice – as they understand it – need political support.

They equate country to the government in power. If it proves to be incompetent or abuses its power they do not only abandon that particular government but they also throw the whole country with it. Any alliance foreign or otherwise to fight the abusive government is a fair game.

They may be under Trusteeship for some time to come if they don’t get their act together.

How could these politicians not draw some lesson-learned from the past?

Wadani;934595 wrote:
Yet they have the audacity to tell Somaliland, a state where the citizens do have a say, to join it's abysmal state of modern trusteeship. SHM.

This is not about you shuush.

trusteeship : trust territory: a dependent country; administered by another country under the supervision of the United Nations.

Administration of a territory by a country or countries so commissioned by the United Nations.

^^And in that definition, Somalia is not a trusteeship in the technical sense of the word. But Somalia is not a fully functioning, sovereign country either. In the context of one hyper supper power dominated world, one could argue few countries could claim to be fully sovereign. Even Pakistan, a nuclear armed, 200-million, country cedes the control of its airspace to Pentagon's unmanned drones ---the locals have to put up with the weekly tragedies of drone strikes and the deaths and destruction it leaves behind. My point being, if Somalia's inability to muster modern state capacities to control the security and political events that take place in its territories is what the author of this post is referring to, then obviously we are not alone.

But Somalia is not under trusteeship, modern or not, by definition. After twenty one years of a stateless status, Somalia is beginning to come back to fold the of nations. We are, I think, much better than the days when our politics were dominated by warlords that directly report to Ethiopia , Eritrea or the intelligence apparatus of other foreign countries.

Timur   

Mario B;934593 wrote:
It's citizen are aware, that they are elements inside/outside the country who don't want a central authority to form in the Republic because......[ you fill in the details]

Somalis are often paranoid about some boogeyman coming to steal their make-believe nationalism. Even the strongest countries in Africa are full-fledged colonies, so I fail to see what threat Somalia poses to anyone.

Illyria   

For clarity, let me define what I mean by:

- Somalia: The republic of Somalia as of July 1, 1960.

- Modern trusteeship: Different from post-colonial trusteeship, and meaning a failed state which can only operate with the help of the IC to resurrect its institutions up to a point where it can choose and decide for itself, and for its people.

Illyria   

Baashi,

Shocking ,eh?

How could these politicians not draw some lesson-learned from the past?

Traditionally ancient Somalis were known to have squabbled and pickered among themselves, but the minute external forces came to the scene, they used to forge a united front. What happened to that?

Xiin - you raised valid points, and I will come back to them as time permits.

Mario B   

Timur;934642 wrote:
Somalis are often paranoid about some boogeyman coming to steal their make-believe nationalism. Even the strongest countries in Africa are full-fledged colonies, so I fail to see what threat Somalia poses to anyone.

The elements i'm referring to are Somalis, I as far as I'm concerned....'Somalis, you have met the enemy, and it's you'. I have never been in the business of blaming secondary actors.

Illyria   

Gents,

I raised this topic for the simple reason that while Somalis are bickering over minor issues at the bottom of the barrel, the country is being managed or mismanaged by proxy agents. And for the record, I blame Somalis for all its ills and feeble. And I go by the simple axiom 'Lax waliba shillinkay is dhigtaa lagu gawracaa'. I ask myself how is Somalia today any different from Somalia of 1840?

To be continued ...

Illyria   

Xiin,

Would you agree there is a difference between a weak gov't which still manages its affairs, even tho' it is unable to stand strong against more powerful nations which seek to exploit its weaknesses, and a gov't which cannot make a decision of, say appointment of director generals, unless it has consulted or be dictated to from afar?

xiinfaniin;934641 wrote:
^^And in that definition, Somalia is not a trusteeship in the technical sense of the word. But Somalia is not a fully functioning, sovereign country either. In the context of one hyper supper power dominated world, one could argue few countries could claim to be fully sovereign. Even Pakistan, a nuclear armed, 200-million, country cedes the control of its airspace to Pentagon's unmanned drones ---the locals have to put up with the weekly tragedies of drone strikes and the deaths and destruction it leaves behind. My point being, if Somalia's inability to muster modern state capacities to control the security and political events that take place in its territories is what the author of this post is referring to, then obviously we are not alone.

And I am in agreement here.

But Somalia is not under trusteeship, modern or not, by definition. After twenty one years of a stateless status, Somalia is beginning to come back to fold the of nations. We are, I think, much better than the days when our politics were dominated by warlords that directly report to Ethiopia , Eritrea or the intelligence apparatus of other foreign countries.