Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

SFG at a Political Fork: Which Way Will it Take

Somali Federal Government, whatever its intentions were, seems to have failed to solve simple political conflicts in regions that do not even question its legitimacy and supremacy---imagine when the SFG engages with Somaliland, a region that does not even recognize SFG's legal authority. One finds a solace in the fact these political conflicts (Baydhabo, Marka, and Jubba region) are for the most part based on constitutional interpretation--- are less clannish in tone. But they are political conflicts that risk derailing SFG's focus of securing the country by defeating alshabaab and thusly require an immediate resolution. The point of contention is clear: who has the authority to setup local administrations. Is it the federal government or the local communities? The SFG insists that it is imperative for it to lead any effort to establish local administration. The locals (some more organized, and vocal than others) fundamentally disagree with the SFG's assertion and see it as an executive overreach, unconstitutional. SFG forced its way in Baydhabo with no success. SFG's attempt to setup for Jubba regions ended in a complete, and public failure. After coming short in his effort to convince Jubba region leaders to disband close to 500 delegates, stop the conference and allow the SFG to temporarily administer the region, the PM has flew back to Mogadishu. I am sure leaders at the top (PM and President) will regroup and deliberate where to go from here.

Question is which way will they go: will they continue marching on their current path or will they accept what they wish is at best premature for people are not ready for it, or worst regressive and reminiscent of the old regime and majority of the people wont accept it?

According to the constitution the legal set up and formation of the state should be approved by the parliament, the locals should organize their communities and the goverment should facilitate and coordinate the federal structure of the state remember the federal goverment is the legitimate goverment of the country. So all three are essential when it comes to building a grassroot administration. Another problem is Alshabaab, the region is not fully liberated so building a viable state at the moment will be very difficult. Another problem is who are the stakeholders and the locals who should verify who is a local elder and who is not lots of things need to be done before a state can be established.

^^Wrong thread I guess , xaaji xunjuf. After your laud prayers for violence, we shall never take you serious or credible.

Question is which way will they go: will they continue marching on their current path or will they accept what they wish is at best premature for people are not ready for it, or worst regressive and reminiscent of the old regime and majority of the people wont accept it?

Never ever called for violence i am a peace maker Xiinow, i am for peace and harmony in the region. The goverment stands strong in this they believe they are the true representatives of the people and are responsible for the people safety security and well being. Ofcourse they will try to conciliate the various communities and try to bring the stakeholders and the territory under the control of the federal goverment. And with the deployment of new troops from sierra leone the have what it takes to pursue their objectives.

^^You are being troll , xaaji xunjuf. This is not a post to pray for voilance. Take your filibuster to the aptly created threads waryaa

Xaaji Xunjuf;931726 wrote:
According to the constitution the legal set up and formation of the state should be approved by the parliament.

That is a lie, where in the constitution does it say that? Please post that section.

People confuse a lot of things. This government has nothing to stand on in therms of legality that's why thy are rushing to nominating people for the regions without proper explanations and deliberations.

But WW, I invite you discuss what is the next for the government . Do you think they will continue what they were doing which is rushing to influence the outcome of the federal movement in the South, which seems has not worked for the president, or will they wise up and correct course , and do the right thing which is focus on the capital and make it hospitable place to be for the weak and strong alike, focus major infrastructure i.e harbors, airports, roads etc, focus on institutional building i.e. national army, education etc, and focus on services i.e. health ...

which way will they take, WW?

Article 49

(b) The parameters and conditions it shall use for the establishment of the Federal Member States;

© The number of the commissioners, requirements of membership, nomination methods, office tenure, and their remuneration.

(4) The number and the boundaries of the districts in a Federal Member State shall be determined by a law enacted by the parliament of the Federal Member State, which must be approved by the House of the People of the Federal Parliament.

Xiin, Its very difficult to predict how Somalia would look like in 6 months or one year's time. The whole situation is up in the air, we hoped for a better Somalia and expected things to improve dramatically but now the situation looks like its going deep down and perhaps could revive the old clanish rivalries that once existed in south Somalia.

The President of Somalia lacks charisma, his personality weak, and had been losing credibility for all the reasons you listed in your first post. He was rumored to be controlled by few interest groups, whether be it HAG or Damjadiid its no secret that he's not an independent thinking man. If I talk about his cabinet, I don't much of a substance there its full of personas non grata and th PM don't even get me started.

You talked about the issue of SL, I think its better that they refused to talk and or take part in May conference. There is nothing this SFG could do or can change so its better they talk with the next government.

To sum up, someone said before that its a waste of 4 years, that's if they did not add blood and injury to the Somali politics.

Xx, that's nothing to do with the federal state but the number of states and boundaries. And most of these are self explanatory or explained in other sectioned on the constitution such as the boundaries. It said the boundaries will be that of the old 18 regions.

All in all, this is not needed now nor can it half or delay an administration that's in the process to be set up or making progress.

^^ The problem is if you encourage clan federalism some communities will always be dissatisfied, people think clan federalism will heal the wounds but it will just create more animosities between the clans. The president is not the problem its the people of Somalia so called stake holders qurba joogs who do not want a better future. They want to institutionalize clan states where one clan dominates the other, it can never work in Somalia.

^Its the other way around. Its the current system that promotes clan domination and clan superiority. Go listen to Professor Ahmed Ismail's latest lecture regarding Somali politics. He's saying only two clans rule Somalia, I agree with him and the best way to stop this is to at least minimize the power of the centre and let every region decide its own matters.

Waranle_Warrior;931748 wrote:
Xiin, Its very difficult to predict how Somalia would look like in 6 months or one year's time. The whole situation is up in the air, we hoped for a better Somalia and expected things to improve dramatically but now the situation looks like its going deep down and perhaps could revive the old clanish rivalries that once existed in south Somalia.

The President of Somalia lacks charisma, his personality weak, and had been losing credibility for all the reasons you listed in your first post. He was rumored to be controlled by few interest groups, whether be it HAG or Damjadiid its no secret that he's not an independent thinking man. If I talk about his cabinet, I don't much of a substance there its full of personas non grata and th PM don't even get me started.

You talked about the issue of SL, I think its better that they refused to talk and or take part in May conference. There is nothing this SFG could do or can change so its better they talk with the next government.

To sum up, someone said before that its a waste of 4 years, that's if they did not add blood and injury to the Somali politics.

This is what I think:

The President initially (somehow) thought he could engineer South Central regions to his liking using his interior minister. I think with Kismayo being the way it is, he will have no choice but rethink his strategy toward federalism. He cannot single-handedly define what federalism means for Somalis. It is notable that he dislikes it but cannot say so for obvious reasons. He will be best advised to take following steps to defuse the situation:

1- Help the consultative process in Kismayo, not hinder it, by personally going there and giving speech about how bad the federalism is for Somalia but affirm his obligation to uphold the constitution which mandates federalism as the supreme political structure of the land. Endorse the gathering and pledge support and cooperation for the resultant administration

2- Help Bay and Bakool community to organize similar conference in Baydhabo to establish state of their own. Do the same (visit, pledge support etc)

3- Repeat 1 & 2 for the remainder of the South Central region in a effective and productive manner...facilitating and all.

4- Address the question of Mogadishu and put concrete policies in place to remake the image of the capital. Address the plight of IDPs, the properties (personally owned or public)

5- Engage with the parliament to expedite fleshing out clauses relating revenue sharing , resource allocation, integration of national army and development money distribution

6- Once he gets all of this in place, talk to Somaliland (involving Khatumo & Puntland as stake holders in the outcome) as the leader of Somalia and hammer out a deal that does not damage Somalia's territorial integrity and does not cause political and security implosion to that stable region.

This is free advise from SomaliaOnline :D to our beloved President Hassan Sheekh

Although the professor has a point when he talked about the duopoly about Somalia. But there are other factors that play a role to, but if Somalia wants to have peace and Somalis want to rebuild their country they need to reintegrate, as people. Waranle you as puntlander is talking for Jubbaland because of Clan it kills the very own foundation of what federalism should be like. You are not involved on how gal hiiraan state should be established or other regions. We have brother Xiin a Puntlander who is also very much involved in the Jubbaland if the provincial regions of Somalia are separately administrated with a governor with a decentralized form of a state. You will not have problems like we are having now. Also another point that needs to be addressed if federalism was given a good chance to succeed it should not be based on clan. But Mudug and Galguduud hiiraan should join Puntland. Bay bakool gedo lower juba middle juba middle shabelle and lower shabelle should become one state. Than you have 2 very diverse strong federal states.