Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

my friend in Germany is going to Jordan to get a Syrian bride at refugee camp

Mooge   

when one of my friends told me this, i thought he was joking. but then i read new stories about this and i was like this is real.

Syrian-Female-Refugees-Out-of-the-Frying-Pan-into-the-Fire.jpg&h=402&w=599&zc=1

Mooge   

AMMAN, JORDAN—Nezar’s face is tight with expectation as she arrives for the meeting. She is a heavy-set mother of 12 and as she arranges herself on the small sofa in Um Majed’s living room she removes her black veil and the pious black gloves that allow her to shake hands with men who are not her relatives.

Um Majed sets down small cups of hot Turkish coffee to ease the tension. Nezar is a Syrian refugee and looking for a husband for her daughter. She lists the girl’s qualities.

“She is tall and pretty,” she tells Um Majed. “She finished the seventh grade.”

“There is one available. He is Saudi,” Um Majed answers.

This is what Nezar wants to hear. Saudis, flush with petrodollars, will pay well. She has high hopes for this Saudi.

So does Um Majed who will earn a $287 fee if the two sides agree to the match.

Um Majed, 28, is also a Syrian refugee, a former housewife from Homs. Um Majed isn’t her actual name but a respectable Arab moniker meaning ‘mother of Majed,’ her young son. She doesn’t want her full name published because of her shame about what she does for a living: procuring brides, some as young as 12, for men as old as 70 from all over the Middle East in exchange for money.

Nezar too was a homemaker in Homs who arrived in Jordan last year. Her husband was a taxi driver but he can no longer work because he has a heart condition. Her son is badly injured.

“He was a fighter with the resistance army and they were removing a roadblock the regime set up on the street when he was hit by a missile,” she explains. “Four others died. He has had three surgeries and needs another one.”

Her daughter Aya is their best hope.

“My daughter is willing to sacrifice herself for her family,” Nezar says. “If the war had not happened I would not marry my daughter to a Saudi. But the Syrians here are poor and have no money.”

Nezar’s daughter is 17. The Saudi groom is 70.

Stories of men fighting and dying to overthrow President Bashar Assad’s regime have fixated the world but for women the war has different, troubling dimensions. Syrian women and their children make up 75 per cent of the 429,000 refugees in Jordan. The vast majority do not live in the camps set up by the Jordanian authorities. They flood into cities like Amman where they live on the charity of kindly Jordanians and aid organizations.

Many of these women are not equipped to support their families, having been raised to keep the home and hearth while husbands and fathers provided for them. The true cost of how the war is ripping apart the nation is evident in the brutal life choices Syrian women are forced to make to survive.Grasping for the security of a husband and home, hundreds of girls are being sold into early marriage. These are undoubtedly forced marriages but the truth has several shades of grey: some mothers believe they are protecting their daughters from further hardship and violence, others are desperate to pay the bills. Yet their voices are rarely heard because their lives are lived behind closed doors, their private tragedies not shared with outsiders.

“If you see how Syrians here live you will see why they marry their daughters to whoever will take them,” Um Majed says. “People are poor and they will do anything to pay the rent.”

link

Wadani   

Yes, quite sad. I wonder if rebels/opposition in both Syria and Libya both think it was worth it? They've destroyed the very same countries they wished to liberate. This Somalia all over again.

Ridwaan   

Sad inscienero indeed, if only they'd come to an understanding, instead of ridiculing their own people and country how about using that strategy regaining their beautiful Golan heights from Isreal. Arabs are no different than Somalis, they got their priorities in a knot.

Mooge   

Wadani;929337 wrote:
Yes, quite sad. I wonder if rebels/opposition in both Syria and Libya both think it was worth it? They've destroyed the very same countries they wished to liberate. This Somalia all over again.

can you imagine if siyad barre wasn't ousted and everyone took your attitude? some things are worth the pain for long term happiness ninyoow. syria will come back but this Alawi monster has to be kicked out.

Wadani   

Mooge;929350 wrote:
can you imagine if siyad barre wasn't ousted and everyone took your attitude? some things are worth the pain for long term happiness ninyoow. syria will come back but this Alawi monster has to be kicked out.

Maybe worth it in the case of Syria, but definitely not in Libya. Gaddafi was nuthing like this Assad *******.

Reeyo   

^ Somalia civil war wasn't worth it. And I strongly believe this civil war in Syria is not worth it. Too much pain and self-destruction.

Wadani   

Reeyo;929352 wrote:
^ Somalia civil war wasn't worth it. And I strongly believe this civil war in Syria is not worth it. Too much pain and self-destruction.

I agree, Somali civil war was definitely not worth it.

Reeyo   

Xaaju-Gadafi was a tragic lost. Unlike Mubarak and Asad, both wet ****** that don't even deserve all this hate.

Wadan, true said, what has the civil war accomplished? Nothing but death, displacement and a loss of a nation.

Gadafi was a sick man him self with his green book he destroyed the life of many Libyans the Egyptians are the most civilized when it comes to the Arabs Mubarak time was up. i never like bad dictators only fair honest dictators.

Odey   

Xaaji Xunjuf;929331 wrote:
Syrian woman are very attractive woman.

Now we know where you are if we don't see your regular posts al Xaaji. Your classmates as you can see are getting 17 year olds at the age of 70!;)