Sign in to follow this  
Gheelle.T

'Things Fall Apart' author Chinua Achebe dies at 82

Coofle   

Wadani;929287 wrote:
Why do u consider black a wrong term?

Yaa Wadani...I am brown...Light brown..kkkk no one is white, Pigeons are white....Yellow, Brown, etc

Wadani   

Coofle;929326 wrote:
Yaa Wadani...I am brown...Light brown..kkkk no one is white, Pigeons are white....Yellow, Brown, etc

I expected more from u coofle. I can respect a Somali who says he/she's not black because he refuses to have his identity subsumed under an arbitrary racial category devised by European anthropologists; one unknown to his/her forefathers. Our nomadic forefathers were Muslim, then Somali, then their clan, then their sub clan...and so on. This is how identity was conceptualized within the Somali context....and it cannot be considered self-hate to continue with this method of self-indentifying if one chooses to do so.

But if one claims they aren't black to escape from his 'africaness' due to the internalization of the ineherent inferiority of the African vis a vis Europeans/Middle Easterners etc....then yes that's classic self-hatred.

Which do u fall under Coofle? Is caddee baan ku idhi.

Wadani   

Apophis;929386 wrote:
The man was a hero for those who feel the need to be defined by arbitrary identity; to others, he was a middle of the road type author.

So I assume u see identity like ur great grandfather would...minus the Muslim part. Am I right?

Reeyo   

Apophis;929386 wrote:
The man was a hero for those who feel the need to be defined by arbitrary identity; to others, he was a middle of the road type author.

Middle of the road?

“Then listen to me,' he said and cleared his throat. 'It's true that a child belongs to its father. But when a father beats his child, it seeks sympathy in its mother's hut. A man belongs to his fatherland when things are good and life is sweet. But when there is sorrow and bitterness he finds refuge in his motherland. Your mother is there to protect you. She is buried there. And that is why we say that mother is supreme. Is it right that you, Okonkwo, should bring your mother a heavy face and refuse to be comforted? Be careful or you may displease the dead. Your duty is to comfort your wives and children and take them back to your fatherland after seven years. But if you allow sorrow to weigh you down and kill you, they will all die in exile.”

― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

Wadani   

Apophis;929397 wrote:
Identity beyond human male/ female is irrelevant and intellectually indefensible.

So explain to me how my identity as an African and a Somali is irrelevant and intellectually indefensible. Im really interested to know.

chubacka   

Middle of the road writers don't tend to have an emotional impact on their readers. This guy was talented and he used his gift to great effect. As to identity being meaningless, how much horsemeat have you been eating lately?

Maarodi   

Wadani;929340 wrote:
I expected more from u coofle. I can respect a Somali who says he/she's not black because he refuses to have his identity subsumed under an arbitrary racial category devised by European anthropologists; one unknown to his/her forefathers. Our nomadic forefathers were Muslim, then Somali, then their clan, then their sub clan...and so on. This is how identity was conceptualized within the Somali context....and it cannot be considered self-hate to continue with this method of self-indentifying if one chooses to do so.

But if one claims they aren't black to escape from his 'africaness' due to the internalization of the ineherent inferiority of the African vis a vis Europeans/Middle Easterners etc....then yes that's classic self-hatred.

Which do u fall under Coofle? Is caddee baan ku idhi.

I think you guys are making the same argument albeit from different angles. I think what Coofle is saying is that these constructed categories do not accurately describe people (black, white, yellow etc). People come in different shades, hues and variations. Technically it would be inaccurate to call someone black or white unless they looked like these cats

yin_yan_cats.jpg

:o I couldn't resist. Love those cats.

Achebe was a great African author. I was a bit shocked and saddened by his death but inaa lilahi wa inna ilahi raajii'un,

Coofle   

Maarodi;929492 wrote:
I think you guys are making the same argument albeit from different angles. I think what Coofle is saying is that these constructed categories do not accurately describe people (black, white, yellow etc). People come in different shades, hues and variations. Technically it would be inaccurate to call someone black or white unless they looked like these cats

yin_yan_cats.jpg

:o
I couldn't resist. Love those cats.

Achebe was a great African author. I was a bit shocked and saddened by his death but inaa lilahi wa inna ilahi raajii'un,

Afkaaga caano lagu qabay.... I should start a whole threat about why Somalis are not Africans.

Wadani   

Coofle;930850 wrote:
Afkaaga caano lagu qabay.... I should start a whole threat about why Somalis are not Africans.

Not africans? Wth. so which continent r we from?