Maqane

Inside WordPress | Security Tips Thread

Chimera   

Abbaas, bro are you a programmer by any chance? Do you have the skills to create and sustain a MMORPG/MMO? Do you know the starting up costs of such an endeavour?

nuune   

^^ Can you identify any Somali games that will bring Somalis online and to play each other in multi-player modes, what games would you have in mind, any adventure, action, or just folklore games such as Dhaanto, Saar, Buraanbur, or maybe the childhood one's such as Quful-Quful, Kadhimey-Kadhim, Kuun-Kuunn-Lamina & Gariir for the girls, Jar or Shaxda for odayaasha, I am sure them mentinoed one's plus more can be developed into adventure games etc

considering the amount of time Somalis spend on the net is getting bigger, and mostly they do spend on Facebook and the likes, why not into Somali games, you can connect and play someone in Mogadishu while you are chilling in Rotterdam.

well by achieving that, two things are needed, a programmer/developer, and a network freak that builds up the infrastructure to run the games and maintain(much of the costs associated with the networking/server side can be generated from advertisement by having some banners like: "maraq iyo muufo" for tradional food ads by makhaayadah Soomaalida & "dhuuq oo dharag" for ads on makhaayadaha buffetka ah ee Soomaalida "jaceelkaaga dhabta ah halkan ka hel" for ads on relationships "waayeel iyo carruur cilmigu waa u siimmanyihiin" for education ads, and "sadaqo Alle waad liibaaneysaane" on ads for donations to run the server), so the main thing would come into programming the games, and to find programmers is easy, but implementing what you want, and this involves great deal of project development, each game can take up to 3-5 months once you have a dedicated team.

Lets wait Abbaas and see what he adds there, but you suggested something that doesn't exist yaa Daa'uud.

Chimera   

I would think adventure is the right platform for an MMO, could be historic, or a fantasy setting. I also think the other games you mentioned with proper instructions could be very popular amongst both the old and young. You just attach a link to your tv and you could play old school games with your relatives.

The game I am thinking about probably would take more than a year to construct, but I'm wondering about the start-up costs. Once you have the platform in place as a viable product, then generating maintenance revenue through ads is a lot easier. Its always the first step that is hazardous and demoralizing.

Good points BTW.

nuune   

Adventure would be the right way, since most of the mentioned games are of adventure nature, for fantasy, I would add Araweelo & Odey Biiqe on the scene, for some action, we can use Dhagdheer in there, this would be a game that would interest ladies same for Araweelo too oo nimanka xaniinyaha ka siibeyso, but nothing will beat the adventure games, imagine connecting old folks through the modes you mentioned and they play what they used to do in real life.

Start up costs depend on many things, I don't think it is possible to know out of the head what the startup cost would be without having some kind of list of what to expect from the project/games.

Outsourcing the project would be an ideal in places like Bangalore, costs can be kept minimum by outsourcing, and you tell them what you need/how you want/when/what etc, it would mean you will have to be there in person, most of the world's today game programmers are based in there, the know hows are there but they need guidance on what to expect from them.

Chimera   

Nuune, its better to start with a MORPG, rather than the one with the extra 'M' at the beginning. It would be much more affordable, and you would only need two programmers, a few artists, a network-manager, a VPS. With this you would eventually have a product in place, that actually exists, and which one can use to pitch for financial backing.

Such a venture would cost roughly; $10 thousand, while according to a Game designer I know, a proper MMORPG will set you back hundreds of thousands.

Chimera   

BTW, Nuune, Shax would make a great modern game if it was properly refashioned as a board-game. Do you know of any books, or articles that has all the rules of the game?

nuune   

Download it from here, in word document, sounds interesting: Shax4Win

Not sure if the guysdeveloping it made it into success, but download that word document, there wasn't direct link even though they referenced redseaonline at the end of the word document.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2B13qyVL0AMOxFin5vKU

600px-Nine_Men%27s_Morris_board.svg.png

kanaan dagey

16757.jpg

Another important link Shaxda it seems to have a download link for shaxda board, had to test this and see how good this shax windows program is.

How to play the shax,tutorial: Click here

Chimera   

That looks good, they should have turned it into a physical board-game like monopoly, one which you can put on the empty dinner table and start playing with the family.

Game wont run on my computer, were you guys able to run it successfully? if so how is it?

Btw Chimera if you are serious about this endeavour I would recommend you talk to the comic book guy you posted about earlier. I think he is from your neck of the woods and would make for a good designer

Chimera   

nuune;945426 wrote:

Outsourcing the project would be an ideal in places like Bangalore, costs can be kept minimum by outsourcing, and you tell them what you need/how you want/when/what etc, it would mean you will have to be there in person, most of the world's today game programmers are based in there, the know hows are there but they need guidance on what to expect from them.

BTW big bro, that method is outdated, now you have prepared game-engines like Truevision3D, where you don't have to start from scratch or spend time and valuable money relocating to another country. That extra money you can use employing closer to home,

nuune   

Brother, that sounds great, and I hope the platform they have has everything needed to produce the final game product, this must be what you see is what you get or drag and drop things, with the price they mentioned which looks too cheap, I doubt they can be equal to real life programmers, but as you said, someone closer to home has to be employed.

Somaliphilosoph, yeah I didn't worked for me either, but at least we know good idea of what can be done, shax is an easy thing to developusing one of the languages C, C++, Delphi or even Java, I have already figured out the hows, but in terms of time, that is the issue.

Maqane   

Chimera;944476 wrote:
Abbaas, bro are you a programmer by any chance? Do you have the skills to create and sustain a MMORPG/MMO? Do you know the starting up costs of such an endeavour?

No bro, i'm not a programmer nor do i have that skills or any gaming backgrounds unfortunately but i'm on my way to that world (programming).

Concerning the startup costs e.t.c of the MMORPG, see the links below. Btw "Stackexchange" is the best place for the developers so don't for get to check it out.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/11155/cost-of-game-development-and-maintenance-of-an-mmorpg

http://answers.onstartups.com/questions/25583/what-does-it-really-take-to-make-an-mmorpg-where-should-i-go-from-here

nuune;944926 wrote:
^^ Can you identify any Somali games that will bring Somalis online and to play each other in multi-player modes, what games would you have in mind, any adventure, action, or just folklore games such as Dhaanto, Saar, Buraanbur, or maybe the childhood one's such as Quful-Quful, Kadhimey-Kadhim, Kuun-Kuunn-Lamina & Gariir for the girls, Jar or Shaxda for odayaasha, I am sure them mentinoed one's plus more can be developed into adventure games etc

considering the amount of time Somalis spend on the net is getting bigger, and mostly they do spend on Facebook and the likes, why not into Somali games, you can connect and play someone in Mogadishu while you are chilling in Rotterdam.

well by achieving that, two things are needed, a programmer/developer, and a network freak that builds up the infrastructure to run the games and maintain(much of the costs associated with the networking/server side can be generated from advertisement by having some banners like: "maraq iyo muufo" for tradional food ads by makhaayadah Soomaalida & "dhuuq oo dharag" for ads on makhaayadaha buffetka ah ee Soomaalida "jaceelkaaga dhabta ah halkan ka hel" for ads on relationships "waayeel iyo carruur cilmigu waa u siimmanyihiin" for education ads, and "sadaqo Alle waad liibaaneysaane" on ads for donations to run the server), so the main thing would come into programming the games, and to find programmers is easy, but implementing what you want, and this involves great deal of project development, each game can take up to 3-5 months once you have a dedicated team.

Lets wait
Abbaas
and see what he adds there, but you suggested something that doesn't exist yaa Daa'uud.

Nuune, su'aal kuma jirto, ineey dadka Soomaalida ee isticmaala Internet-ka- Media-ha bulshada soo badanayaan, laakiin karti, waqti iyo wadashaqayn baa loo baahanyahay to get to know and target them. For now it's better to forget the MMORPG and to create something simple like 2d/3d dhagdheer looguna magac darro "Scape from Dhagdheer/ ka baxshasadii dhagdheer" lol

Btw, i'm focused on one-thing now, and that's not gaming unfortunately so i can't add much to this. Thanks for the great ideas Chimera and Nuune. We're out of date when it comes to technology so we should use and execute these ideas and connect the Somali Community around the world.