Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Somalis in Boston

Safferz   

Transplanted here last year and on my own, so I'd like to find the community in my new-ish city. Neighbourhoods, restaurants, hilib xalal shops, community centres, etc... give me the rundown! Are there any Somali Students' Associations at Boston-area universities that are active? Thanks :)

somalis are as rare as leprechauns missing in Irish fairytales to live in Boston. madex sare che is a special case altogether and you, my friend, are a CIA mole hoping to extract information on innocent Somalis, that'll lead to quick arrests. isku xishood malayacniyaho.

p.s - che, inaar improve your privacy settings on facebook. iska jiir inaar wa khaatar eh. :D

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;927284 wrote:
somalis are as rare as leprechauns missing in Irish fairytales to live in Boston. madex sare che is a special case altogether and you, my friend, are a CIA mole hoping to extract information on innocent Somalis, that'll lead to quick arrests. isku xishood malayacniyaho.

p.s - che, inaar improve your privacy settings on facebook. iska jiir inaar wa khaatar eh.
:D

Very funny :P I'm no spy, I'm just a Somali girl from Toronto studying here (the only Somali at this particular school, it seems). I was under the impression that Boston has a significant Somali population, so I was hoping for more info on where I can find the community, since I rarely venture outside of my immediate area.

The community is mostly concentrated in Roxbury, The place to start is the main mosque in Roxbury where there are always Somalis. Community here like everywhere else is dysfunctional but overall, they are good people. There's new student/professional group that is becoming effective, maybe your sort of crowd (assumptions). I know some students involved, I can connect you if you want? This would be good start.

Mosque is located at 100 Malcolm X Blvd Boston, MA 02120. It's on the orange line right across Roxbury Crossing station.

Safferz   

Thanks so much, Che! I'd love to hear more about the students/professionals group, so please do put me in touch. In the meantime I'll check out the Roxbury mosque, my parents are in town right now so I think it would be a great time to visit the area.

Safferz--- Felt the same way every time i visit that place... went to the "Somali Mall" a few times to purchase something for my mother.

That's about the closest i have ever gotten to them lol Good luck, I'll be contacting you when i start grad school there :P lol

^Them? What are we woman?

Saffarz.....PM me your email. I will connect you to one of the people there. I believe they are organizing an event this year for Somali students and professionals. It could be a good project to get involved.

Che -Guevara;927551 wrote:
Them? What are we woman?

Saffarz.....PM me your email. I will connect you to one of the people there. I believe they are organizing an event this year for Somali students and professionals. It could be a good project to get involved.

:D

Safferz   

Somalicentric;927548 wrote:
Safferz--- Felt the same way every time i visit that place... went to the "Somali Mall" a few times to purchase something for my mother.

That's about the closest i have ever gotten to them lol Good luck, I'll be contacting you when i start grad school there
:P
lol

For sure :) I think the occasional visit to the "Somali mall," mosque or even a hilib xalal shop for groceries would be nice, it can definitely feel isolating to be away from family and community. One of the reasons I decided to go to graduate school here was in part because I knew Boston had a Somali population, unlike the other schools/cities I was considering.

Thanks again Che, I'll send you a PM now!

NP Safferz,

Somalicentric. That's more like it:-)

The community is good but lacks proper leadership. It can be more vibrant and involved if the right people were to lead.

If it wasn't for my taxi driving cousin i doubt i would've even seen that side of Boston... i usually get my hipster dosage near Roslindale & keep it moving lol

Oba, stop the madness.

^Igaaryaho joogso

Roslindale? not too many of us there. You were barely in Boston itself. I think I can actually count how many times I have been to Rosindale over yrs lol. Well, Safferz will show you around when you come for school. You could thank SOL lool