Sign in to follow this  
Sighnomore

Help!

I want talk about skin bleaching. I know it's not something that is often talked about publicly/freely within our community. But the fact is that some of our girls are dying to be light. And some might just get their wish seeing as these concoctions are full of dangerous chemicals.

So come on-- out with it. We all know someone...why are they bleaching and why do they think it is worth it. I recently became interested in this subject because of my older cousin. She's a pretty girl, educated, religious and successful. She's also soon to be twenty-seven and has started bleaching. She thinks she's on the shelf so to speak because she is darker skinned. I talked to her about the possible repercussions but despite my concerns she thinks if she lands a husband it'll be worth it. She's seen her friends marital prospects change after bleaching and thinks hers will too. I don't know what to say to this... because we've all attended a wedding where a former dark skinned girl is suddenly light skinned and lauded as a cadeey and calanjo.

What should I do about my cousin?

nuune   

Nothing you can do about it, you advised her and all she wants is to become cadeey boolo caanaha labeentooda, then she is gone.

Ps: Somali men don't go after whitish girls , but maarriin is the color choice for Somali men, few light skinned girls sneak through without our knowledge but overrall it is the maarriin color, your cousin got her colors mixed up!

Somalia   

nuune;922455 wrote:

Ps: Somali men don't go after whitish girls , but maarriin is the color choice for Somali men, few light skinned girls sneak through without our knowledge but overrall it is the maarriin color, your cousin got her colors mixed up!

:D So very true..

NGONGE   

^^ I'd cut my left arm if "she" and her cousin did not have beards bigger than Maaddeey's. :D :D

p.s.

My post above was not a lie, I did bleach my face for months. :(

Blessed   

NGONGE;922507 wrote:
I have a confession to make. I actually used to skin bleach!
:(

I trust you gave it up as soon as Mrs said ' aqbaltu'.. :P

Sighnomore... A 27 year old doesn't need any hand holding, I'm sure that she's aware of the risks and all the good stuff that you can tell her, let her learn from her own mistakes...

NGONGE   

^^ Maya ayeeyo, adba waad ogeed inaan bariga lilah fi lilah iska casa! :P

This was on doctor's orders. I had to stop when my dear mother mentioned (in passing) that the medicine I was using was very popular with Somali women, etc, etc, etc... :D

Blessed   

^Where would you be w/out my lovely neice, ay? I didn't believe you at first, but I take it that you were treating eczema, not bleaching your skin to "enhance" your beauty.. lol

Tallaabo   

Sighnomore;922450 wrote:
I want talk about skin bleaching. I know it's not something that is often talked about publicly/freely within our community. But the fact is that some of our girls are dying to be light. And some might just get their wish seeing as these concoctions are full of dangerous chemicals.

So come on-- out with it. We all know someone...why are they bleaching and why do they think it is worth it. I recently became interested in this subject because of my older cousin. She's a pretty girl, educated, religious and successful. She's also soon to be twenty-seven and has started bleaching. She thinks she's on the shelf so to speak because she is darker skinned. I talked to her about the possible repercussions but despite my concerns she thinks if she lands a husband it'll be worth it. She's seen her friends marital prospects change after bleaching and thinks hers will too. I don't know what to say to this... because we've all attended a wedding where a former dark skinned girl is suddenly light skinned and lauded as a cadeey and calanjo.

What should I do about my cousin?

If she is religious why is she even considering bleaching her skin?

Tallaabo   

Actually, the dark colour has a huge advantage over the lighter shades. For instance:

1. Darker skins have more melanin to protect against harmful UV rays.

2. A dark fugitive chased by the cops in a broad daylight can literally stand in front of them in a shadow without being recognised