Sign in to follow this  
Rahima

Strong hair and nails.

raula   

^^^:D ma aragte...all this inactive/active ingredients can scare you to even eat food all together laakin waa iska Illaahey tawakal..Amin.

Blessed..get ready to be sued :D & Juxa can't provide you w/the legal standing on this :D too late

Blessed   

Raula,

Juxa will represent me or I will disown her. My cousin does the avocado treatment, I'd rather eat to be honest.

I've never heard of nail polish being toxic before.

Aaliyyah   

Yeah most people don't give it a second thought. Read this.

Is your nail polish toxic?

by Megan Coleman

Posted: 04.12.2012 at 12:33 PM

It's just about time to brake out the sandals for spring, which for many women means getting a pedicure. But do you really know what's in your nail polish?

According to a new study, nail polish contains toxic chemicals that could cause cancer or birth defects.

Every day, tons of people head to the salon to get their nails lacquered. Most folks are in and out, so they're exposed to the chemicals in the nail polish may be minimal. But what about the nail technicians? "Nail salon workers and owners have a right to work in a safe and healthy workplace," said Lisa Fu, of Health Nail Salon Collaborative.

At issue are three chemicals known as the toxic trio. The California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) says exposure to these chemicals may cause cancer and birth defects among other health issues. "There's short term health effects such as rashes, watering eyes or coughing and wheezing," Fu said.

Many labels claim to be free of these chemicals, but in testing on a limited number of nail polish brands, the DTSC found not all are telling the truth. Now, the department is recommending that al manufacturers be required to disclose what's in their products. For salon owner Phuoc Dam, that's the only way to solve the problem. He says regardless, he has to provide the brands that his customers demand. "They need to tell us the truth so we can trust in them," Dam said.

As for the nail polish companies, they say the report lacks perspective and balance since it fails to mention that a small amount of these chemicals are allowed in formulations by the Food and Drug Adminstration (FDA).

In a statement, the Nail Manufacturer's Council said no maker should mislead its customers, but points out that nearly all of the nail polish industry voluntarily cut down the amount of toxic chemicals years ago.

Some people are now calling for a ban of these toxic chemicals so consumers won't have to worry about choosing which types of nail polish are less toxic.

Do you think there should be a ban on these chemicals? Do you worry about exposure to toxic polish? Leave your thoughts below.

Aaliyyah   

Nail polish linked to cancer

Exposure to large amounts of the substance may lead to developmental problems, asthma and cancer

Article | April 17, 2012 - 2:08pm | By Nkechi Opurum

The Department of Toxic Substances Control, California has reported that about four in five nail technicians working long hours in hazardous conditions suffer health problems.

According to a survey carried out on 25 nail polish brands, three chemicals known as the "toxic trio", formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate (DBP), were found to be present in them.

The nail polish brand, which claim to be toxin-free, actually contain chemicals linked to cancer and birth defects. Exposure to large amounts of these chemicals was linked to an increased risk of developmental problems, asthma and cancer.

Debbie Raphael, director of the department, said that: "It is just disheartening, distressing and disturbing as a consumer and a regulator. The question that we want to engage industry in is, is it necessary to use these chemicals?"

Scientific research shows that salon employees are more exposed to chemicals at higher than recommended levels. This may result in headaches, respiratory problems and skin irritation.

chubacka   

Ducaysane;920331 wrote:
bal waxay ka hadlayaan maqla. maad cidiyahana is ka jartaan timahana iska xiirtaan.

As my niece would say D, HOW VERY DARE YOU.

Close the door on your way out.

Reeyo   

Iron and Vit D is all you need for a healthy hair and nails but I'm slow in taking them too. I hate pills of any sort.

Thanks for the tip.

raula;920210 wrote:
I would be cautious of toxicity to your liver/kidney when taking synthetic medications.Besides you might be be treating the underlying issue (i.e. diet/zinc/iron deficiency etc).

I agree with you.

Biotin only doesn't contribute to hair growth. There are more vitamins and minerals that you need in order to have hair growth. Taking high doses of biotin causes side effects and creates deficiences in the other vitamin Bs from the vitamin B complex because you create an imbalance since they work together as a group. So actually your doing more harm then good and it's better to treat the cause then the symptoms of hair problems. A simple bloodtest of your hormones and vitamins will give you better treatment for your hair.

Rahima   

^ 300 mcg of biotin is a very conservative dose- no chance of toxicity at this level.

But yes you are right- healthy hair and nails is best achieved by a healthy lifestyle which is often easier said than done. Sometimes popping a few pills with no real side effects at those doses makes it easier.

I discovered a little hair miracle lately. Its a hair-mask. I know, I too thought I had seen it all when the overly enthusiastic salesman at Lush suggested a 'mask' for my hair.

But a couple of tries and my hair genuinely looks so much better. I dont know if its just this or the combination of this and my aveda shampoo and conditioner but finally something that works for me.

Here is it: https://www.lush.co.uk/product/413/The-Hair-Doctor-Hair-Treatment

Aveda Shampoo (http://www.aveda.co.uk/product/5311/17037/Hair-Care/Shampoo/Shampure-Shampoo/index.tmpl) and its conditioner.

Aaliyyah   

chubacka;920067 wrote:

Also talking of hair ladies, what do you put onto your hair to moisturise it? I find oils to greasy and many of the other products in these afro caribbean hair shops have a horrible strong smell. Any advise appreciated.)

I use these products to moisturize my hair, they seem to be doing wonders for my hair.

-Mane n Tail conditioner (you can also use it as a leave in)

- Olive Oil replenishing conditioner (you can leave it on your hair several hours and then wash it off)...

- Olive Oil leave in conditioner

-Rinju 5-in-1 Complex (it is yellowish and creamy and contains 5 oils Olive,Carrot, Avocado, Coconut, and Jojoba oil)

-Coconut milk leave in conditioner.

I also use Olive oil, Coconut oil, and Castor oil. (With Castor oil a little goes a long way and it is not as greasy as the other oils).

Aaliyyah   

-Serenity-;921447 wrote:
I discovered a little hair miracle lately. Its a hair-mask. I know, I too thought I had seen it all when the overly enthusiastic salesman at Lush suggested a 'mask' for my hair.

But a couple of tries and my hair genuinely looks so much better. I dont know if its just this or the combination of this and my aveda shampoo and conditioner but finally something that works for me.

Here is it:

Aveda Shampoo (
) and its conditioner.

Thanks for the suggestions.