Sign in to follow this  
Rahima

Strong hair and nails.

Rahima   

Salaams Ladies,

I've discovered the secrets to strong nails and hair:

1. MSM

2. Biotin

Combine the two and it is a miracle- tested it myself and in six weeks my nails and hair are in the best condition since children.

Aaliyyah   

I bought biotin couple of years ago. I took it for like few days and stopped cuz I simply can't stand pills. Not to mention I was scared of the long term side effects. But, good to hear it worked for you. Lord knows how I love my hair lol and anything that works for it I would do it...I guess just not pills.

Rahima   

^ I couldn't find any evidence of long term side effects. I always take them now along with my Vitamin D.

Blessed- I feel you walaahi but for me it was after the kids, my hair became brittle but alhamdullilah i've noticed a significant difference with these two. I take 300mcg of biotin and 3000mg of MSM per day- they are separate.

Blessed   

Aaliyah, you can always over dose on biotin rich foods. Speaking of food for hair growth, my sister in law told my LO that eating lettuce will make her hair grow, she's been eating so much of it since.. lol

Rahima, my hair is brittle at the ends as well, I was thinking of going for a big chop.

chubacka   

Right, need to get some lettuce, haha, trying to grow my hair too. It gets to a certain lenght and then decides it's had enough.

Also talking of hair ladies, what do you put onto your hair to moisturise it? I find oils to greasy and many of the other products in these afro caribbean hair shops have a horrible strong smell. Any advise appreciated. (forgive me Rahima but I didn't think it was necessary to begin a new thread)

Aaliyyah   

*Blessed;920064 wrote:
Aaliyah, you can always over dose on biotin rich foods. Speaking of food for hair growth, my sister in law told my LO that eating lettuce will make her hair grow, she's been eating so much of it since.. lol

Rahima, my hair is brittle at the ends as well, I was thinking of going for a big chop.

igu haleeya in aan reerka lettuce ka dhameesto hada ka dib LOL..thanks for the advice.

Aaliyyah   

chubacka;920067 wrote:
Right, need to get some lettuce, haha, trying to grow my hair too. It gets to a certain lenght and then decides it's had enough.

Also talking of hair ladies, what do you put onto your hair to moisturise it? I find oils to greasy and many of the other products in these afro caribbean hair shops have a horrible strong smell. Any advise appreciated. (forgive me Rahima but I didn't think it was necessary to begin a new thread)

When I get home I will try to type up all the products I use. Insha'allah..

As for the oils ..put them on your hair but if you find them greasy wash out after two hours or so.

raula   

I would be cautious of toxicity to your liver/kidney when taking synthetic medications.Besides you might be be treating the underlying issue (i.e. diet/zinc/iron deficiency etc).

Now speaking of biotin rich foods..like raw egg yolks..my older sister used to make every month an avacado & egg yolk paste & mold it into our hair when we were little & my hair was healthy & fine back then (didn't relate it to such benefits back then but now i understand). Beryahaan..if i comb it in the AM before leaving for work, nasiib baan leyahay..

PS: i can't deal w/long/even slightly grown nails (since macalin dugsi indoctrinated us back in the days..that sheydaanka harsada...:D I have never grown my nails long, nor do i wear nail polish or artificial ones for that matter..i fee OFF somehow if they are less than normal..or some would say perhaps bland :D).

Blessed   

Chubaka.. I'm an oil girl, I can't take creamy moisturisers. My favourite brand is Sunsilk but haven't seen it in London yet..

p.s I take no responsibility for any lettuce deprivation experienced by SOL families.

Aaliyyah   

Raula, I never allowed my nails to grow either. But, I used to put nail polish on sometimes till I heard some brands of it cause cancer. Then I put all the nail polishs away ...