Sign in to follow this  
QansaxMeygaag

Somali Concept of Beauty

Do SOLers still subscribe to the traditional Somali concept of beauty or things have moved on several notches?

Traditionally - as captured by the concept of Qalanjo, literally a "she-elephant"; big, tall, and every other connotation... plus think the Qalaafo song...qunyar socod iyo qamuusiga aan kuraaco.....

I once watched Iman on a Channel 4 documentary titled "When Black Became Beautiful" on how she was rejected by African Americans as a "white woman dipped in chocolate"....and her experiences in re-defining concepts of black beauty in the fashion industry.

Every book I've read describing Somali women - unfortunately most of these books are written by Europeans/reer-galbeeds - describes this tall, graceful, exotic creature, almost like a carving as the ideal...

What do contemporary Somalis on SOL think?

Let the debate start!

Very hard to say. Tradition could mean different things to different people, from the pre indepence days, to the Dirac and Gabasaar, to the Guntiino, to the Jalaabiib and everything else Somali women wore since then. I don't think there is any consensus as to what most people would think is beautiful or traditional.

somalis compare the beauty of women to animals such as Horses, camels and birds such as goronyo, basically the beauty originally comes from animals in somali philosophy.

Rahima   

^ I've decided that Somali men compare women to animals because once upon a time they thought they owned us- thanking the lord this is not the case anymore. Being called qalanjo by a man is insulting- elephants are bloody ugly.

Rahima;919387 wrote:
^ I've decided that Somali men compare women to animals because once upon a time they thought they owned us- thanking the lord this is not the case anymore. Being called qalanjo by a man is insulting- elephants are bloody ugly.

So why was she called Qadiijo Qalanjo and she happily danced away...Doesn't look like she feels insulted....

Rahima   

^ Maybe she's never seen an elephant?lol

To be honest i use it too but i think as of caawa- no more.

On the topic though, i think Somalis have a warped view of beauty. Small waist, big hips, cankles and hair all over the body?

Malika   

The colonialism mentality - gabadh caad , the buck stops there, it doesn't matter how ugly she is as long as she is light skinned, she is beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, but there is something about a tall woman, with long filled legs, mariin skin colour, dark gums, big /wide eyes - captivating even if I say so as a woman...marke socooto naa sidha geel haa uu luliysoo..masha'allah..Lol

As a previous poster alluded to, beauty for somalis is midhab cad iyo hilib. So whilst the west are obsessed with the likes of Iman, back home somali folk would be convinced she was afflicted with a deadly disease.

Malika;919395 wrote:
The colonialism mentality - gabadh caad , the buck stops there, it doesn't matter how ugly she is as long as she is light skinned, she is beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, but there is something about a tall woman, with long filled legs, mariin skin colour, dark gums, big /wide eyes - captivating even if I say so as a woman...marke socooto naa sidha geel haa uu luliysoo..masha'allah..Lol

I couldn't resist this pun using two words "gabadh cad" and "buck" - so gabadh cad even if she has buck teeth?:D

@Rahima, Malika and Qoordheerey - will young Saado Ali Warsame fit your general description of colour (cad to marrin??), hilib, tall, nice stocky legs, dark gums, big/wide xuurul-cayn eyes, and style of walk ("marke socooto naa sidha geel haa uu luliysoo..masha'allah").

Talking of camels and camel imageries, I couldn't resist this qaraami song...I doubt the petite singer will make the criteria, but she will definitely catch the eye of an cadaan guy...

Nin-Yaaban;919361 wrote:
Very hard to say. Tradition could mean different things to different people, from the pre indepence days, to the Dirac and Gabasaar, to the Guntiino, to the Jalaabiib and everything else Somali women wore since then. I don't think there is any consensus as to what most people would think is beautiful or traditional.

I agree it is very complex, but there is that certain girl every abwaan seems to write a song about....changes in dressing is another complex kettle of fish altogether....

Wadani   

Traditional somali standards for female beauty are: midab saafi ah oo noqon kara maariin ama casaan, cirid iyo dibno (bushumaan) madow, ilko cad oo siman, san dhuuban, waji qorqoran, indho waawayn, qoor dheer, timo dheer oo jilicsan ama jileeca xiga, xaad saaran gacmaha iyo lugaha, waa inay dheertahay, dhex dhuuban tahay, hilibna ay ku yeelataa kubabka, gacmaha iyo meelaha kalee xasaasiga ah lol.

Maxaan ka tagay?

Wadani   

Salahudin, hablaha Soomaali galbeed waa runtaayoo aad bay u qurux badanyihiin. Laakiin baryahan dambe waxaan aad ula dhacay quruxda hablaha HG.