Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Afgoye Istunka- Annual Stick fight

Alpha Blondy;917462 wrote:
hey,

we were discussing today. its mad!

do you know the history of this tradition?

Al.

Ha, wow what a coincidence. I have right here in front of me a book with a chapter focused on this. I will report back to you.

my friend from the south was telling us the actual istunka ceremonies started today in Afgoye. it was apparently banned for several years by the Al-Shabab. the fact that its started again may be another signal that further proves Somalia is peaceful, once more.

i await further info from you. thanks.

Al.

The Istunka, a history:

A festival held in Afgoye during the 'Somali' new years

A mock stick fight between two sides of the town is the core of the city

It began in the middle ages by the gaalomadow, and later passed it to the Silcis and the Geledi.

It started with the use of daggers and swords, but now sticks are used for safety reasons

The fight:

Held between the two sides- Tolweyne, and Yabdhaale

Each village/section provides its team

Preparation begins 2-3 months prior to the festival in which captains arrange practices with their sticks and discuss tactics as well as choosing a uniform

The objective is to drive the other side off the field

Teams enter the arena stamping rhythmically chanting verses

They practice singing these verses beforehand even in Dugsi!

The two sides meet at the arena facing each other, with the woman behind them cheer leading

Some of the Verses sung:

Aay Ulay ma oodno, albaabna ma saarna

Ninkii isku aado waa imaan karaa

Ruuxa gooye Rabbi waarye.

Ka ma roorayo- ha roorin!

Walaalkissa ka roorow wadne weynaan

Waaga laga waaye waaratiina

Significance:

Afgoye's most popular sprting event

Seen as a training for war

Fight is seen by a small minority to bring good health to the people and fertility of the crops, as well as the fertility of woman ;)

Antecodes:

During a Dervish raiding down the Shabelle, a group invaded Afgoye on the day of the festival. The participants of the mock stick fight turned their festival into an actual fight against the invaders, which they defeated

Western education during colonial rule has caused much of the youth educated in schools to perceive the fight as old fashioned and barbarious

Haatu   

This reminds me of a thread I wanted to start in the Dood Wadaag section. Please contribute to it when I make it SP.

Alpha Blondy;917467 wrote:
my friend from the south was telling us the actual istunka ceremonies started today in Afgoye. it was apparently banned for several years by the Al-Shabab. the fact that its started again may be another signal that further proves Somalia is peaceful, once more.

i await further info from you. thanks.

Al.

Oh wow, I was just wondering if it was still practiced. So does that mean it is Somalia's new years at this moment? I am inclined to agree, not only does is it an indication of peace, it signals some culture restoration

Haatu   

SomaliPhilosopher;917505 wrote:
From my understanding the Somali new years is based on a solar calander as well as the Chinese new years, which may explain why it falls around the same time

Care to explain more in the new topic I made in Dood Wadaag. Don't worry you can reply in English so don't be scared ;)

Alpha Blondy;917510 wrote:
so before you doubted my claim of istunka starting today? was that before or after you realised it was chinese new year?

I never doubted your claim.. When I said I'm inclined to agree, I was referring to the proposition of the reestablishment of Istunka as an indication of peace