Sign in to follow this  
metta

Somalis will have Western names in a generation or two

metta   

*Blessed;917358 wrote:
That's an interesting find, what is the history of Muslims in Canada? First migrants are mostly Shami Arabs, right?

I'm not sure about the name thing..

Yup. Mostly Syrian and Lebanese.

Reeyo   

^^Another attempt at consuming all there is 'Arab' in our culture.

I am all for a revolution to urge Somali parents to name their kids Somali names,

Wadani   

Reeyo;917466 wrote:
^^Another attempt at consuming all there is 'Arab' in our culture.

I am all for a revolution to urge Somali parents to name their kids Somali names,

+100000

What I hate most about this trend is not being able to identify a Somali by their name, it's easy to distinguish Iranians,Turks, Arabs and Malaysians from each other, but with Somalis it's getting harder every generation. It doesn't matter if the adopted names are Western or Arabic, the effect is similar.

Alpha Blondy;917718 wrote:
^ do you have a somali name?

My siblings and I all have Arabic names, but our last name is Somali. Yet, both of my parents have Somali names, which seems to be the case in most families.

^ are you happy with you name? would you have preferred both your name and surnames being Somali? anyways most somali surnames are arabic too. unless, of course, yours is sharmarke, guleed or rooble, dualeh etc. i have a very traditional name and i'd much prefer if i had a normal name like everyone else. I feel the name that best compliments my personality is aidarus or one of those fancy and popular names like khalid, faisal, jamal etc. i feel my real name doesn't do me justice but considering its meaning and the reason behind it, i'm happy with it....... i feel forever cursed carrying this name and its causing me serious set backs in life. at least its a traditional, somali and unlike these foreign names. my surname is arabic and means knowledge, apparently.

there are options available if ever you feel like a change. you can do a deed poll and get a new name.

Lidia   

Somalis with foreign names existed back in Somalia before the great escape to the West. One person that comes to mind is the famous General, Moragan. That said, I don't find it an issue if someone wants to give their kid a Western name- as long as it does not contradict Islam. I also believe that it is smart to adopt a non-Somali name, because I believe it can help further opportunities. Many Immigrants are now choosing to give their children Western names in order to assimilate into their communities. For example, the Chinese have made it a point to give their children Western names.

Wadani   

Lidia;917892 wrote:
Somalis with foreign names existed back in Somalia before the great escape to the West. One person that comes to mind is the famous General, Moragan. That said, I don't find it an issue if someone wants to give their kid a Western name- as long as it does not contradict Islam. I also believe that it is smart to adopt a non-Somali name, because I believe it can help further opportunities. Many Immigrants are now choosing to give their children Western names in order to assimilate into their communities. For example, the Chinese have made it a point to give their children Western names.

But the Chinese also have a Chinese name given at birth, which is their actual name. They use the western name just for job/education/assimilation purposes.

wyre   

oba hiloowlow;917359 wrote:
My father did bidca ninyahow ma aniga magacey isku bixiyay Im a follower of the xeer saaxiib.
:D

My father did bidca kulahaa

kan waa kuwi lahaa odayga iyo habarta is qaba ee labaatan jirro iska dhalay diin iskuma qabtiin, aabe iyo hooyo diin iskuma qabtaane haddaan isku kiin meherinaayaa oo kale, ilaahey abuurtiisa badanaa :D

wyre;917971 wrote:
My father did bidca kulahaa

kan waa kuwi lahaa odayga iyo habarta is qaba ee labaatan jirro iska dhalay diin iskuma qabtiin, aabe iyo hooyo diin iskuma qabtaane haddaan isku kiin meherinaayaa oo kale, ilaahey abuurtiisa badanaa
:D

whoa.png

what are you talking about wyrow?