Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

The Lives of the Sahabah

BiLaaL   

Too often one expresses words which he/she later regrets or speaks in situations where silence was more appropriate.

There are valuable lessons in the following examples of how the Sahabah guarded their tongues and spoke only when necessary with foresight and measured wisdom.

The Silence of the Sahabah R.A.

The Statements of Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. and Anas R.A. about Guarding the Tongue

Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. said, ''The limb that a person most needs to purity is his tongue."

Anas R.A. said, "A person can never have Taqwa until he controls his tongue."

The silence of Mu'aadh R.A. and the statement of Abu Bakr R.A.

Abu Idress Khowlani says, "I once entered the Masjid of Damascus when my eyes caught sight of a man with sparkling front teeth. He was a very quiet man and whenever the people with him disagreed on some issue, they referred it to him and readily accepted his verdict. When I enquired who he was, I was informed that he was Mu'aadh bin Jabal R.A.

Aslam narrates that when Umar R.A. once found Abu Bakr R.A. pulling at his tongue, he asked, ''What are you doing, 0 Khalifah of Rasulullaah SCW?" Abu Bakr R.A. replied, "There is not a part of the body that does not complain of the sharpness of the tongue."

Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. and Abdullaah bin Abbaas R.A.rebuke their Tongues

Abu Waa'il narrates that when Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. once climbed Mount Safa, he caught hold of his tongue saying, "0 tongue! Speak what is good and reap the rewards. Shun speaking evil and you will remain safe before having to regret." He then narrated, "I have heard Rasulullaah SCW say, 'Most of man's sins stem from the tongue."

The statement of Abdullaah bin Mas'ood About the Dangers of the tongue

Isa bin Uqba narrates that Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. once said, "I swear by the Being besides Whom there is none worthy of worship that nothing on earth is more deserving of a long prison sentence than the tongue."

Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. once said, "Beware of futile speech. All you need to say it that which would get your needs fulfilled."

Another narration states that Abdullaah bin Mas'ood R.A. said, "The people guilty of the most sins on the Day of Qiyaamah shall be those who most engaged in idle talk."

Ali R.A. and Abu Dardaa encourage Silence

Ali R.A. said, "The tongue is the basis of the body's well-being. When the tongue is upright, the other limbs are all upright. However, as soon as the tongue is out of control, no other limb stays under control." Another narration states that he once said, "Keep a low profile and you will not be talked about (thus saving you from pride). Remain silent and you will remain safe."

Another narration states that he said, "Silence invites towards Jannah." It was also Ali R.A. who mentioned the following couplets (which mean):

"Never disclose your secrets except to yourself

Because there is an advisor to every advisor

And I have also seen many misguided men

Who do not leave upright men unscathed (by their insults)"

Abu Dardaa R.A. once said, "Learn to remain silent just as you learn to speak because silence is a great source of self-control. You ought to be more interested in listening than speaking and should never speak about things that do not concern you. You should also not laugh when there is nothing to laugh about or go somewhere you do not have to go."

Abu Dardaa R.A. also said, "There is no limb of a Mu'min that Allaah loves more than his tongue because it is by means of this that he will enter Jannah. At the same time, there is no limb of a Kaafir that Allaah hates more than his tongue because it is by means of this that he will enter Jahannam."

BiLaaL   

The Generosity of the Sahabah R.A.

Reviving and emulating the generosity practiced by the Sahabah is required more than ever in Islamic history. If the Muslims’ of today practiced even a tiny portion of the generosity shown by the Sahabah, much of the poverty present in the Islamic world would cease to exist.

The following narrations highlight how and the Sahabah spent their wealth and everything that Allaah granted them in the path of Allaah and in avenues where Allaah's pleasure is found. They loved spending their wealth to please Allaah more than they did on themselves. This meant that they preferred others above themselves (to the point of suffering poverty), so that they could gain the pleasure of Allaah Subhanu Wa Ta’alla.

I hope the examples found in these narrations will inspire all of us to be more generous with the wealth Allaah SWT has blessed us with – and to benefit the poor and those in need. May Allaah SWT grant us the quality of being generous as the Sahabah were

The Generosity of Ummul Mu'mineen Aa'isha and her Sister Asmaa

AbdulIaah bin Zubayr R.A. says, "I have never seen women as generous as Aa'isha R.A. and (her sister) Asmaa R.A. Their forms of generosity were however different. As for Aa'isha R.A., she would collect things and then distribute them when she had collected a considerable amount. As for Asmaa R.A., she would never keep with her anything for the next day.

The Spending of Aa'isha R.A. and the Incident of a Poor Person with Her

Imaam Maalik reports that the report reached him that a poor person once came to beg from Aa'isha R.A. the wife of Rasulullaah SCW. She was fasting that day and had no food at home besides a piece of unleavened bread. When she instructed her servant to give it to the beggar, the servant entreated, "You will then have nothing to terminate your fast with." However, Aa'isha R.A. insisted that she give it tothe beggar. The servant continues the story and says, "I then gave it to the beggar. That evening some family or some person who usually did not give us gifts, sent for us some cooked goat meat with many pieces of bread. Aa'isha R.A. then called for me and said, 'Eat some of this. It is much better than that piece of bread (that we gave away).'"

Imaam Maalik reports that another narration also reached him about a poor person who asked Aa'isha R.A. for some food at a time when she had a grape in front of her. She then said to someone (present there), "Take a grape and give it to him." Looking at the single grape, the person expressed surprise. Aa'isha R.A. said to him, "You seem surprised. How many atoms' weights do you see in that grape?" (Here she was referring to the verse of the Qur'aan that states: "Whoever (sincerely) does an atom's weight of good will see it (its consequences when he is rewarded for if) ... ")

The Behaviour of Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. with Beggars

Aflah bin Katheer says, " Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. never refused any beggar and even a leper with fingers dripping with blood could be seen eating with him from the same plate."

The Practice of Talha R.A. and the Statement of Rasulullaah SCW

Salama bin Akwa R.A. reports that when Talha bin Ubaydullaah R.A. purchased a well at the foot of a mountain, he invited people for a meal. It was then that Rasulullaah SCW said, "You, 0 Talha, are 'Fayyaadh' (an extremely generous person)."

Ja'far bin Abu Taalib R.A. Feeds the Poor

Abu Hurayrah R.A. says, "The person who most benefited the poor was Ja'far bin Abu Taalib . He would take us home and feed us with whatever he had in his house. In fact, (when there was nothing) he would break open the butter container so that we could lick whatever butter remained."

Umar R.A. Donates his Land in Khaybar

Abdullaah bin Umar R.A. narrates that Umar R.A. received a piece of land in Khaybar. He then approached Rasulullaah SCW saying, "I have received a piece of land in Khaybar. Never before have I received any property more excellent than this. What do you advise me to do with it?" Rasulullaah SCW replied, "If you wish, you could make the property an endowment and donate the proceeds in charity." Umar R.A. therefore made the land an endowment on the condition that it should never be sold, never be given away as a gift, never be inherited and that its proceeds be given to the poor, to his relatives, to free slaves, in the path of Allaah and to guests. He also stipulated that the caretaker of the land may take from the proceeds what is normally paid and what is required to feed his guests. He however had no permission to amass wealth from it.

Abu Talha R.A. Donates the Orchard of Bir Haa

Anas R.A. narrates that Abu Talha R.A. was the wealthiest of all the Ansaar in terms of the date plantations he owned. However, what he loved most of all his possessions was the orchard of Bir Haa. It was situated opposite the Masjid and even Rasulullaah SCW used to go there to drink from its pure and excellent water. However, Abu Talha R.A went to Rasulullaah SCW as soon as the verse was revealed in which Allaah states:

3_92.png

You shall never reach (true, perfect) righteousness until you spend of that which you love…{Surah Al-Imran, 92}.

He said to Rasulullaah SCW "0 Rasulullaah SCW, indeed, Allaah has stated: 'You shall never reach righteousness until you spend of that which you love.' Bir Haa is certainly the possession that i love most, so it is now Sadaqah for the pleasure of Allaah. I aspire for the good of this and that Allaah will keep it as a treasure for me (in the Aakhirah). 0 Rasulullaah SCW, utilise it as Allaah shows you." Rasulullaah SCW said, ''This is an excellent investment! This is an excellent investment!"

The Statement of Abu Dharr R.A that there are Three Partners in one’s Wealth

Abu Dharr R.A. stated, "There are three partners in one's wealth. (The first is) Predestination that will not consult with you as it takes your valuable and useless wealth either by destruction or by death (of animals). (The second is) The heir who is waiting for you to put your head down (in the grave) so that he my drag everything away while looking down on you. (You are the third partner) So do your best never to be the most helpless of the three partners. Verily Allaah says: 'You shall never reach (true, perfect) righteousness until you spend of that which you love…{Surah Al-Imran, 92}.

The Spending of Abdur Rahmaan binAuf R.A.

Anas R.A. narrates that while Aa'isha R.A. was in her room, she heard a lot of noise in Madinah. "What is that?" she enquired. The people informed her, "That is the caravan of Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf R.A. that had arrived from Shaam carrying everything with it." Anas R.Asays that there were seven hundred camels in the caravan and that all of Madinah was resounding with the noise. Aa'isha R.A. then said, "I have heard Rasulullaah SCW say that he saw Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf R.A. entering Jannah on his knees (exhausted after accounting for all his wealth)." When these words reached Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf R.A., he said, "I shall do my best to enter Jannah standing upright." He then donated all the camels in the path of Allaah SWT together with their carriages and the supplies they carried.

The Condition of Umar R.A when Abu Moosa Ash'ari R.A. Brought a great deal of Wealth

Abu Hurayrah R.A. says that he brought to Umar bin Khattaab R.A. eight hundred thousand Dirhams from Abu Moosa Ash'ari R.A.. Umar R.A. asked, what have you come with?' 'I have come with eight hundred thousand Dirhams,' replied Abu Hurayrah R.A. Umar R.A. asked further, 'Is it all lawful?' 'It certainly is,' was the reply. Umar R.A. stayed awake the entire night until the Adhaan was called out for Fajr. His wife then asked, "Have you not slept last night?" He replied, "How could Umar bin Khattaab sleep when so much wealth has come that has never come since the beginning of Islaam? Umar has no assurance that he may die when all this wealth is still with him and he has not spent it where it ought to be spent''.

Talha 'Fayyaadh' (The Very Generous)

Su'da R.A. the wife of Talha R.A. reports that she once came to Talha R.A. and found him to be extremely distressed. She asked, "Why are you so distressed? Have we caused this grief to overcome you?" He replied, "By Allaah! You have caused me no distress at all. You are a most excellent wife. It is some money that has been collected with me (that I am concerned about)." Su'da R.A. reports further. She says, "I advised him to send for his family and his tribe and to distribute it amongst them. After he had done so, I asked the treasurer how much money there was. He informed me that it amounted to four hundred thousand. His daily earnings amounted to a thousand Waafi (approximately 1666 Dirhams) and he was given the title of Talha Fayyaadh (The Very Generous)."

BiLaaL   

The Hardships faced by the Sahabah RA

To fully appreciate the brilliance of the Sahabah RA, it is essential to learn of the hardships they endured during the early days of Islaam.The brilliant qualities we’ve come across thus far were borne out of extreme hardships which the Sahabah RA faced. Their enduring Imaan and tawakal was cultivated and perfected in the midst of these unimaginable hardships – which all of the Sahabah, be they rich or poor, strong or weak – all faced as one. The qualities of the Sahabah RA we marvel at today came about through tremendous sacrifices and rightfully earned them such an esteemed position amongst admirers and foes alike.

Here are just some of the hardships they faced.

The Comments of Miqdaad (ra) Concerning the Conditions Under Which Rasulullaah was Sent to Propagate Islaam

Nufayr narrates that they were once sitting with Miqdaad bin Aswad (ra) when someone passed by. The person said, "Blessed are the eyes that saw Rasulullaah SCW. By Allaah! We dearly wish that we had seen what you saw and were present in the gatherings you were present in!" Nufayr says that he had heard the man carefully and (when Miqdaad became angry) he was surprised because the man had good words to say. Turning to the man, Miqdaad (ra) said, 'What makes you people wish to be present at a time that Allaah made you absent from without you knowing what would have become of you had you been present then? By Allaah! There were many people who were present during the time of Rasulullaah but Allaah had thrown then headlong into Jahannam because they did not accept him and refused to believe him. Will you people rather not thank Allaah for being born as people who know only Allaah as your Rabb and believing in everything that Rasulullaah SCW brought? (You were fortunate that) Hardships had been borne by people other than yourselves."

Rasulullaah SCW Gives Glad Tidings of Jannah to Ammaar and his Family when he sees them being tortured

Jaabir (ra) wnarr ates that when Rasulullaah SCW once passed by Ammar (ra)and his family (his parents) as they were being tortured by the Mushrikeen, he said, "0 family of Yaasir! Hear the glad tidings that your promised abode shall be Jannah."

Sumayya (ra) the mother of Ammaar (ra) Becomes the First Martyr in Islaam

Abdullaah bin Ja'far (ra) narrates that when Rasulullaah SCW once passed by Ammar (ra) and his family (his parents) as they were being tortured by the Mushrikeen, he said, "Be patient, 0 family of Yaasir. Be patient, 0 family of Yaasir for your promised abode is Jannah."

Mujaahid stated, "The first martyr was Sumayya (ra) the mother of Ammaar (ra) who was martyred during the early days of Islaam when Abu Jahal pierced his spear into the most private part of her body."

Abu Bakr (ra) Endures Hardships and difficulties

Aa'isha (ra) narrates that on one occasion when the eighty three companions of Rasulullaah SCW got together, Abu Bakr(ra) insistentlyasked Rasulullaah SCW for permission to preach Islaam openly. Rasulullaah SCW said, "0 Abu Bakr! We are too few." However, Abu Bakr (ra) continued insisting until Rasulullqah SCW gave the permission. The Muslims then scattered in different areas of the Masjidul Haraam, each one taking a place amongst his tribesmen. Abu Bakr (ra) then stood up to deliver a sermon.

The Mushrikeen then attacked Abu Bakr (ra) and the Muslims and wherever they were in the Masjidul Haraam, they were beaten very severely. Abu Bakr (ra) was trampled and beaten most savagely. The wretched Utba bin Rabee'ah started hitting Abu Bakr (ra) with his shoes that had a sole stuck onto another (making them thick and hard). He hit Abu Bakr (ra) SO much and also jumped on his stomach that the soles actually twisted and the nose of Abu Bakr (ra) could not be differentiated from his face.

The Banu Taym tribe (to which Abu Bakr (ra) belonged) came running and pushed the Mushrikeen away from Abu Bakr (ra). They then carried him in a sheet and took him home. By then they were convinced that he would die. The Banu Taym then returned to the Masjidul Haraam and announced, "By Allaah! We shall definitely kill Utba bin Rabee'ah if Abu Bakr dies!" thereafter, they returned to Abu Bakr (ra) and together with (his father) Abu Quhaafa, they started talking to Abu Bakr (ra) to get him to respond. Abu Bakr (ra) finally spoke after the day had passed and asked, "How is Rasulullaah SCW?" His people rebuked and criticised him. They then stood up (to leave) and said to (his mother) Ummul Khayr, "Take care of him and give him something to eat or drink."

When his mother was alone with him, she insisted that he eat, but he kept asking, "How is Rasulullaah SCW She said, "I swear by Allaah that I have no knowledge about your friend." He said, "Go and ask Ummu Jameel bint Khattaab about Rasulullaah SCW." His mother left to meet Ummu Jameel and asked her, "Abu Bakr wants to know from you about Muhammad bin Abdillaah." Ummu Jameel responded by saying, "I neither know Abu Bakr nor Muhammad bin Abdillaah. However, if you like, I shall go with you to see your son." Ummul Khayr agreed and Ummu Jameel accompanied her until they came to Abu Bakr (ra) who was lying down (unable to even sit) and extremely ill. Coming closer, Ummu Jameel cried, "By Allaah! Those who did this to you must be people of kufr and sin! I hope that Allaah takes revenge from them on your behalf."

Abu Bakr (ra) then asked, "How is Rasulullaah SCW?" Ummu Jameel said, "Your mother is listening." He said, 'You have nothing to fear from her." She then replied, "Rasulullaah SCW is safe and sound." "Where is he?" Abu Bakr (ra) asked further. Ummu Jameel said, "He is in the house of Arqam." Abu Bakr (ra) vowed, "I swear by Allaah that I shall neither eat or drink until I go to Rasulullaah SCW."Th e two ladies then waited for a time (late at night) when the movement of people had calmed down and people were resting. Giving him support, they then took him to Rasulullaah SCW. (When he saw Abu Bakr (ra) Rasulullaah SCW) hugged him and kissed him. For a month, the Muslims who numbered thirty-nine individuals stayed with Rasulullaah SCW in that house.

The Comment of Ali (ra) Concerning the Courage of Abu Bakr (ra)

While addressing the people, Ali (ra) once asked, "0 people! Who is the most courageous person?" "You are, 0 Ameerul Mu'mineen," the people submitted. Ali (ra) then said, "Although I have defeated everyone who has confronted me, the most courageous person is Abu Bakr (ra).

Ali (ra) then lifted the shawl he was wearing and wept until his beard became wet. He then said, "I ask you to swear by Allaah whether the mu'min from the court of Fir'oun was better or Abu Bakr (ra)." When everyone remained silent, Ali (ra) said, "By Allaah! A moment of the life of Abu Bakr (ra) is better than the earth full of people like the Mu'min from the court of Fir'oun. While the Mu'min from the court of Fir'oun concealed his Imaan, Abu Bakr (ra) made his Imaan public."

Umar (ra) Endures Hardships and difficulties

Abdullaah bin Umar (ra) narrates, 'When (my father) Umar (ra) accepted Islaam, he asked, Which person of the Quraysh is the best informant?' When he was told that it was Jameel bin Ma'mar Jumhi, he went to him early in the morning. I followed my father to see what he was doing. Although I was then still a child, I understood everything I saw. When he arrived, Umar (ra) said, '0 Jameel! Do you know that I have accepted Islaam and entered into the religion of Muhammad SCW By Allaah! Jameel gave no response and left, pulling his shawl along with him. Umar (ra) followed him and I followed my father."

Abdullaah bin Umar (ra) narrates further that Jameel arrived at the door of the Masjidul Haraam as the people were sitting in their gatherings around the Kabah. He then screamed at the top of his voice, "0 assembly of the Quraysh! The son of Khattaab has become a heretic!" Standing behind him, Umar said, "He is lying! The fact is that I have accepted Islaam and I testify that there is none worthy of worship but Allaah and that Muhammad SCW is Allaah's Rasul." The people then attacked Umar (ra) and they continued fighting him until the sun stood above their heads (midday). Exhausted, Umar (ra) then sat down and the people stood over him. He said, "Do as you please. I swear by Allaah that we now number three hundred strong and we shall either leave Makkah for you or you leave it for us.''

Hardships Bilaal (ra) Endured for the Sake of Allaah

Urwa bin Zubayr (ra) narrates that Bilaal (ra) was a slave of a lady from the Banu Jumh tribe. The Mushrikeen used to torture him on the burning sands of Makkah, making him lie flat on the hot sand (and place a heavy rock on his chest) so that he should commit Shirk. However, he would continuously say, "Ahad! Ahad!" When Waraqa bin Naufal, the cousin of Khadeeja (ra) would pass as Bilaal (ra) was being tortured, he would say, "Ahad, Ahad, 0 Bilaal (Allaah is certainly One).

A narration of Ibn Is'haaq states that when the afternoon heat grew intense, Umayyah would take Bilaal (ra) outside and throw him down on the burning sands of Makkah. He would then command others to place a heavy rock on the chest of Bilaal (ra) used say to him, 'You shall be left like this until you die or reject Muhammad and worship Laat and Uzza!" Despite his extreme suffering, Bilaal (ra) would continuously say, "Ahad! Ahad!"

Another narration of Mujaahid states that the Mushrikeen used to lead Bilaal (ra) through the two mountains of Makkah with a rope around his neck.

BiLaaL   

^ Wa iyyakum. May Allah SWT make us of those who take lessons from the blessed Lives of the Sahabah RA.

The Lectures of Ameerul Mu'mineen Umar bin Khattaab (RA)

His lecture after Burying Abu Bakr (RA)

Humayd bin Hilaal reports from someone who was present for the burial of Abu Bakr (RA) that after Umar had finished with the burial, he dusted off the sand from his hands. Standing where he was, he then delivered a lecture saying, "Allaah is testing you with me and me with you (by making me your leader) and has kept me alive after my two companions (Rasulullaah SCW and Abu Bakr (RA). By Allaah! It will never be that any of your matters are presented before me (to be settled) and is then done by anyone other than myself. It will also never happen that something happens in my absence and I am then negligent in settling it with integrity. When people behave well, I shall be good to them, but when they do evil, I shall punish them." The man reporting the narration says, "By Allaah! This was exactly what Umar (RA) did until the day he departed from this world."

His Lecture the day he became the Khalifah

Sha'bi narrates that when Umar (RA) became the Khalifah, he ascended the pulpit and said, "Allaah should never see me considering myself worthy of sitting where Abu Bakr (RA) sat." He then climbed a step lower and after duly praising Allaah, he said, "Recite the Qur'aan and you will be noted for it. Practise its teachings and you will be amongst its bearers. Weigh yourselves before you are weighed and beautify yourselves (with good deeds) for the great presentation on the day you will be presented before Allaah and nothing of yours will be hidden from Him. Remember that no one has such a right over you that compels you to obey him while disobeying Allaah. Take note that in respect of the wealth of Allaah (public funds), I regard myself to be like the guardian of an orphan. I shall therefore stay away from it if I have sufficient means and will use it within reason if I am ever in need of it."

Another narration states that Umar (RA) said the following in his sermon: ''Take reckoning of yourselves before your reckoning is taken (on the Day of Qiyaamah), because it (the reckoning you take of yourself) is easier. Weigh yourselves before you are weighed for the great presentation on the day you will be presented before Allaah and nothing of yours will be hidden from Him."

Two Lectures that Umar (RA) delivered when he Became Khalifah and his Explanation of the Rights his Subjects have over Him

Urwa bin Zubayr (RA) and others have reported after duly praising Allaah, Umar (RA) reminded the people about (the greatness of) Allaah SWT and about the Day of Qiyaamah. Thereafter, he said, "0 people! I have been appointed over you and I would have never accepted the post had it not been for the hope that I may develop into one who is the best for you, the strongest for you and the most powerful for you when tackling matters of importance to you. Merely waiting for reckoning concerning my administration of your rights is enough to worry and depress Umar because it will be judged how I took up the matters, how I handled them and how I have been treating you. It is from my Rabb that I seek assistance because Umar has neither any strength nor strategy if the mercy, assistance and help of Allaah SWT was not there for him."

Another narration states that Umar (RA) said the following in his lecture: "Allaah SWT has appointed me to be in charge of your affairs. Although I know what is most beneficial for you from all that which is before you, I still seek Allaah's help in making the decision. I beseech Allaah to watch over me when doing this just as He watches over me at other times. I also ask Him to inspire me to exercise justice when distributing things amongst you as He has commanded me to do. I am merely an average Muslim and a weak servant unless Allaah comes to my aid. The post of Khilaafah that I have been entrusted with will not alter my character in any way, Inshaa Allaah (because I understand well that) all grandeur belongs to Allaah SWT and His servants have no stake to it. None of you should therefore say that Umar has changed since becoming the , Khalifah. I know what truly lies within me and I will come forward to inform you of it (I will not defend my wrongs). Therefore, any person who has a need, who feels wronged or wants to object about any facet of my character, should come to me (to redress matters) because I am merely a normal person amongst you (and am prone to err).

You should adhere to Taqwa in your private and public lives and when dealing with affairs that are sacred and that impact upon your honour. At the same time, ensure that you fulfil the duties that are binding upon you. None of you should ever goad others into bringing their cases to me (thinking that I will certainly rule in their favour) because no pact exists between me and anyone else (forcing me to rule in his favour). I love you to be on the right and hate to rebuke you. You are a people whose majority reside in Allaah's cities and people living in cities usually have no plantations or milk-giving animals. They therefore have no access to these necessities apart from what Allaah brings to them. Allaah has promised you tremendous honour and I shall be questioned about the trust given to me and about the post I occupy. Inshaa Allaah, I shall personally tend to matters that are before me without appointing anyone else to do it. However, I cannot tend to matters that are far from me without the assistance of trustworthy persons who are well-wishers to the masses. Inshaa Allaah, I shall never entrust my duties to anyone else apart from such (trustworthy and well-wishing) men."

A Lecture that Umar (RA) Delivered at Jaabiya

Moosa bin Uqba reports that the following is the lecture that Umar (RA) delivered at Jaabiya: "After praising Allaah and sending salutations to Rasulullaah SCW, I wish to advise you to fear that Allaah Who shall remain alive forever while everything else shall perish. It is by obedience to Him that His friends are honoured and it is by disobeying Him that His enemies wander astray.

Indeed, people have a natural dislike for their rulers, so I seek Allaah's protection from Him finding me or you with malice ingrained within us. I also seek Allaah's protection from Him finding us following our whims and giving preference to this world (over the Aakhirah). I fear that you should incline to the ways of those who oppress themselves, so you should never content yourselves to be with those who have been granted wealth. Hold fast to this Qur'aan because it is filled with light and healing powers, whereas everything else is filled only with misfortune. I have fulfilled my responsibilities to your affairs that Allaah SWT has made me responsible for and I have advised you in your best interests.

Another narration states that Umar (RA) appointed Ali (RA) as his deputy and then left Madinah by horseback so that he could travel faster. When he reached Jaabiya, he dismounted and delivered an eloquent lecture there. Amongst the things he said was the following: "0 people! Ensure that your private lives are in order and your public lives will automatically follow suit. Work for your Aakhirah and your matters in this world will be seen to (by Allaah). Remember that no man has a living father between himself and Aadam (AS) who can be of assistance to him at the time of death, neither has he any pact with Allaah (that will ensure his salvation). The person who wished to have the path to Jannah made apparent to him should stick with the greater body of united Muslims because Shaytaan always preys on the lonesome individual and stays far from two united persons. None of you should ever be alone with a (non-Mahram) woman because Shaytaan will be the third person with them (encouraging them to sin). The true Mu'min is he whose good deeds please him and whose sins bother him." The narrator states that this was Umar’s (RA) lecture that he has condensed into a few words. (Al Bidaayah wan Nihaayah (Vo1.7 Pg.56).

The Lecture Umar (RA) gave About how he Knew the Conditions of People and about other Matters

Abul Firaas reports that Umar (RA) once delivered a lecture saying; "0 people! We knew you people well when Rasulullaah SCW was in our midst because it was a time when revelation descended and Allaah used to inform us about your condition. Take note however that Rasulullaah SCW has left and revelation has ceased. Therefore, we now get to know you only in the manner we shall be stating to you: Whoever displays good behaviour, we shall think good of him and love him for the good. On the other hand, whoever displays evil behaviour, we shall think negatively of him and dislike him for his evil ways. Your secret affairs lie between you and your Rabb (and only He can judge you by them). There was a time when I was certain that whoever recited the Qur'aan did so to please Allaah and to attain what (reward) is with Him. However, I have since come to realise that lately some people recite the Qur'aan to attain that which is with the people. You must therefore aspire to please only Allaah when reciting the Qur'aan and when carrying out any good deeds. Take note also that I do not dispatch my governors to you to beat you or to take away your wealth. I am sending them only to educate you in your Deen and in the Sunnah practices. Whoever receives treatment other than this, should take the matter up with me and I swear by the Being Who controls my life that reparation shall be done.

BiLaaL   

The Lectures of Ameerul Mu'mineen Uthmaan bin Affaan RA (ra)

Utba narrates that after he became the Khalifah, Uthmaan (ra) addressed the people saying, "I have been made responsible for this task and have accepted it. Take note of the fact that I am a follower (of the Deen) and not one to introduce new things. Listen well! After the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of Rasulullaah SCW, you people have three rights over me: (The first is) That I follow that which you are unanimous about, that you have been practising and that has a precedent amongst those before me (during the periods of Rasulullaah SCW, Abu Bakr (ra) and Umar (ra); (the second is) that I follow the ways of the righteous ones in matters that you may have not been accustomed to doing; (the third is) that I restrain my hand from you except in matters that necessitate punishment. Remember that this world is a lush place that has been made desirable to people, because of which so many people are inclined towards it. You should therefore not be inclined towards the world and should never place your trust in it because it is not dependable. Bear in mind also that this world will never leave anyone besides the one who leaves it first."

Radr bin Uthmaan reports from his uncle that when the other members of the consultative assembly pledged allegiance to Uthmaan (ra), he left for the Masjid in great consternation. He then went to the pulpit of Rasulullaah SCW, from where he addressed the people. After duly praising Allaah and sending salutations to Rasulullaah SCW said, "You are in a place from where you shall soon be leaving and you have but a short duration of your lives ahead. You should therefore beat your deaths by doing as much good as you possibly can because death will certainly come to you, whether by day or night. Remember that this world is deception through and through. Allaah says:

Let not the life of this world deceive you (into believing that Qiyaamah will never come), and do not allow the great deceiver (Shaytaan) to deceive you about Allaah. {surah Luqmaan, verse 33)

Learn lessons from those who have passed on and then be resolute without giving way to negligence because death will never neglect you. Where are all those sons of this world and its brothers who inhabited the earth, left landmarks and who enjoyed it for an extensive period of time? Did the world not fling them aside? Throw the world aside just as Allaah has done and seek the Aakhirah. The people then went up to him and pledged their allegiance to him.

Various Lectures that Uthmaan (RA) Delivered

Hasan narrates that in an address to the people, Uthmaan (ra) started by praising Allaah and then said, "0 people! Adopt Taqwa because Taqwa is a great asset. Verily the greatest of all the intelligent people is the one who controls his Nafs and acts for his life after death. Glean from Allaah's light some light for the darkness of the grave and every person should fear that he be raised blind when he was sighted in this world. Concise words suffice for a wise person and it is only the deaf who have to be shouted to from a distant place. Remember that the person who has Allaah with him need not fear anything. On the other hand, what hope can there be for the person who has Allaah up against him?"

Hasan narrates that he saw Uthmaan (ra) delivering the following lecture from the pulpit: "0 people! Fear Allaah in your private affairs because I heard Rasulullaah SCW say, 'I swear by the Being Who controls the life of Muhammad that whenever a person does an act in private, Allaah dons him with such garments in public (such will be peoples' impression of him). Therefore, if the act is good, the garment will be good and if the act is evil, so too will the garment be." He then recited the verse:

... and (We have sent clothing to you) as a means of beautification, but (remember that) the clothing of Taqwa is best (because it offers you protection from all evil). {Surah A'raaf, verse 26)

Qutaybah bin Muslim narrates, "Hajjaaj bin Yusuf once addressed us and spoke of the grave. He then said, 'It is a place of solitude and a place of loneliness.' He repeated this so much that he then burst out crying and made everyone around him weep as well. Thereafter, he continued, 'I heard Ameerul Mu'mineen Abdul Malik bin Marwaan say that he heard Marwaan say in a lecture, ' Uthmaan (ra) once addressed us saying Rasulullaah SCW always wept whenever he saw a grave or spoke about the grave."'

The Final Lecture that Uthmaan RA Delivered

Badr bin Uthmaan reports from his uncle that in the final lecture that Uthmaan (ra) delivered in public was when he said, "Verily Allaah has granted you this world so that you may use it to acquire the Aakhirah and not for you to attach yourselves to it. whereas this world will come to an end, the Aakhirah shall be forever, so never allow what is temporary to make you arrogant and never allow it to distract you from that which is everlasting. Give preference to that which is eternal to that which is transitory because this world will certainly come to an end while you will have to return to Allaah (in the Aakhirah). Fear Allaah SWT because Taqwa is a shield against His punishment and a means to draw close to Him. Take precautions against Allaah changing your conditions (removing your bounties), remain united with the Muslims and never break up into splinter groups. He then recited the verse:

Recall Allaah's favour to you when you were enemies and He (Allaah) created love between your hearts. Then you became brothers by His grace. {Surah Aal Imraan, verse 103)

BiLaaL   

The Lectures of Ameerul Mu’mineen Ali bin Abi Taalib RA

The First Lecture that he Delivered after being appointed Khalifah

Ali bin Husayn narrates that when he was appointed Khalifah, Ali (ra) started his first lecture by praising Allaah. Thereafter, he said, "Verily Allaah has revealed a scripture that is a guide and which makes distinct what is good and what is not. You must therefore hold fast to what is good and abstain from what is evil. When you carry out the Faraa'idh for Allaah, Allaah will carry you into Jannah. Allaah has made many things sacred, and these are no secret. He has however made the sanctity of a Muslim more sacred than anything else and bonded the Muslims by sincerity and Towheed. The (true) Muslim is he from whose tongue and hands other people are safe unless it be done rightfully (to mete punishment when Allaah's laws are broken). It is not permissible to harm any Muslim unless it becomes necessary (when he transgresses Allaah's laws). Hasten to do good deeds before the universal occurrence (Qiyaamah) and before the individual occurrence as well, which is the death of each one of you. Many people have passed ahead of you and Qiyaamah is driving you from behind. Travel lightly (without sins) and you will meet (those who have passed away) because (deceased) people are waiting for those after them. lnstil the fear of Allaah into His bondsmen with regard to (abusing) His other bondsmen and lands because you will be questioned even with regard to tracts of land and animals. Obey Allaah and never disobey Him. Seize the opportunity to do good whenever you see it, avoid evil when you see it and remember the time when you were few in number and regarded as weak in the lands."

Two Types of Harvests

There are two types of harvests (the harvest of this world and that of the Aakhirah). While the harvest of this world is wealth and children, the harvest of the Aakhirah is good deeds. Allaah has however granted both to certain people." Sufyaan bin Uyaynah remarked, "Who else but Ali bin Abi Taalib (ra) is capable of speaking such wonderful words?!"

A scholar from the Banu Tameem tribe reports that Ali (ra) once addressed them saying, "There shall come a time when people will bite into each other and the wealthy will hold on to their wealth (refusing to spend it on others) whereas they have never been commanded to do that. In fact, Allaah says:

Do not forget kindness among yourself. {Surah Baqarah, verse 237)

(During those times) The evil ones will be regarded as honourable while the good people will be looked down upon. Furthermore, people will be buying from desperate people, whereas Rasulullaah SCW forbade buying from people who are desperate (because they are forced to sell, even if it is at a loss). Rasulullaah SCW also forbade sales that involve deception and the selling of fruit before it ripens."

His Lecture Concerning the Aakhirah and its Condition

Asbagh bin Nabaatah reports that Ali (ra) one day ascended the pulpit and after duly praising Allaah, he spoke about death. Ali then said, "Remember that after this shall come a day in which even a youngster will turn white, a grown man will break down and every expectant mother will abort her child. You will see people in a state of intoxication but they will not really be intoxicated. The fact is that (they will be in this condition because) the punishment of Allaah will be extreme." Another narration states that Ali then burst out crying and the Muslims around him also wept.

His Lecture concerning the World, the Grave and the Aakhirah

Saalih ljli reports that Ali bin Abi Taalib once addressed the people. After praising Allaah and conveying salutations to Rasulullaah SCW he said, "0 servants of Allaah! Never allow this worldly life to deceive you because it is a place of light difficulties, it is famous for its transitory nature and well-recognised for its treachery. Everything in it shall come to an end and is continuously passed on from person to person. The one who goes down to tap its resources cannot remain safe from its evil and even while its people enjoy prosperity and happiness, they are still involved in its calamities and deception. Living a good life in this world is condemned and its prosperity does not last. Its people are only its practice targets that it fires at with its arrows and eventually destroys with death.

Dear servants of Allaah! You and all that is with you in this world are following the same path as those who have passed on before you. They had lives longer than yours, they were more powerful than you, they constructed more buildings than you and their landmarks had weathered the times. However, their voices have been silenced and extinguished after their long sojourn. Their bodies have decomposed, their homes lie empty and their landmarks have been wiped out. They have exchanged their fortified palaces, their luxurious beds and their scattered cushions for rocks and stones stacked in their muddy and boxed graves dug in the wilderness, fortified with sand only. Although it (the graveyard) may be close to a town, its inhabitants are still estranged and even though it may be in the very midst of an inhabited place, its inhabitants are extremely lonely as the people of the town engage in their activities. They feel no affinity with other inhabitants and do not even engage in mutual neighbourly relations despite being so close to each other. How can they really have any relations when decomposition has ground them to dust and rocks and mud have consumed their bodies. After once being vibrant with life, they now lay dead and after once seeking good lives, they are now reduced to decayed bones. Their friends were pained as they took to live in the sand and undertook a journey from which there is no return. Farfetched! Farfetched indeed (is the thought of returning to this world)! Never (will they return)! The request to return is merely a statement they make (without any hope for a response) because behind them is a (impregnable) barrier until the day when they are resurrected.

You people will also be experiencing the loneliness and decay that they have experienced in the realm of the dead. You will be placed in trust in that resting place and that safety deposit box will take charge of you. What will your condition be when all matters will draw to an end, when everything contained in the graves will be raised, when everything contained in the heart will be exposed and you will be standing before your honoured King to have everything laid bare. Hearts will then flutter out of fear because of past sins. All veils and shrouds will then be torn apart and all your faults and secrets will be exposed. (He then recited the following verses:

On this day every soul shall be recompensed for what it earned. {Surah Mu'min, verse 17)

May Allaah make us and you all practise on His Book and followers of His friends until He enters us all into the home of eternal residence by His grace. Verily He is Most Worthy of Praise, Most Majestic."

His Lecture after the Battle at Nahnvaan

Ziyaad A'raabi narrates that Ameerul Mu'mineen Ali bin Abi Taalib (ra) once ascended the pulpit in Kufa after the scourge (of the Khawaarij) and after the battle had been fought (against them) at Nahrwaan. He started by praising Allaah but he then choked on his tears and wept so much that his beard was soaked and the tears, which started running off. He then shook his beard and the droplets of tears happened to fall on some people.Thereafter, he said, "0 people! Never be amongst those people who wish for Jannah without doing any good and who postpone repentance because of their long hopes (hopes to live long). They are people who speak like the abstinent ones yet they behave like those who hanker after the world. If they are given any portion of the world, they are not satisfied and when anything is held back from them, they are not content. They fail to express gratitude for what they are given and still seek to have more. They instruct people to do what they do not zthemselves do and forbid people from that which they themselves do not abstain from. They love the righteous ones but do not carry out their actions and they detest the sinful ones whereas they are amongst them. The Nafs of such a person overpowers him in matters he is uncertain about (to do worldly acts, the benefits of which are not certain) but does not overpower him in matters he is convinced about (to do acts for the Aakhirah, the benefits of which are guaranteed). When he achieves independence, he falls into sin, when he falls ill, he is grieved and when he suffers poverty, he loses hope and becomes weak-hearted. He takes benefit from both sin and Allaah's bounties without ever being grateful when he is blessed with well-being or even being patient when afflicted with hardship. He behaves as if only others have been warned of death and that only they have been cautioned and rebuked.

0 targets of death! 0 pawns of death! 0 containers of disease! 0 spoils of time! 0 booty of the ages! 0 fruits of generations! 0 light of the vicissitudes of time! 0 muted ones at the time of litigation (on the Day of Qiyaamah)! 0 those drowning in tribulations that have become an obstacle to them learning lessons! It is with proof and conviction that I state that no successful person can attain success without knowing himself and every destroyed person has destroyed himself. Allaah says:

'0 you who have Imaan! Save yourselves and your families from the Fire of jahannam).' {Surah Tahreem, verse 6)

BiLaaL   

The Abstinence of the Sahabah R.A.

Ramadan Kareem to you all. There is no better time to reflect upon the inspired lives of the Sahabah than in this blessed month of Ramadhan. In shaa Allaah i intend to continue to post incidents from the lives of the Sahabah during Ramadhan. The qualities we've come across in our previous posts and the ones to follow were realised after much toil and sacrifice in the way of Allaah SWT. I hope these incidents will spur us to improve all aspects of our Iman and character.

The Narration of Aa'isha (ra) stating that Abu Bakr (ra)left nothing behind

Aa'isha (ra) says, "Abu Bakr (ra) passed away without leaving behind a Dinaar or a Dirham. Just before his demise, he took all his money and deposited it in the Baytul Maal."

Another narration from Urwa (ra) states that when he was made Khalifah, Abu Bakr (ra) deposited every Dinaar and Dirham he possessed into the Baytul Maal He said, "I used to trade and seek my livelihood with this money. Now that I am the Khalifah, public affairs have preoccupied me from trade and earning a livelihood."

Umar (ra) Reminds People of a Verse of the Qur'aan

Abdur Rahmaan bin Abu Layla reports that when some people from Iraq once came to Umar (ra) he noticed that they ate very little (because they were used to good food and did not like his simple food).

He then said to them, "0 Iraqis! If I wanted, I could also have sumptuous meals prepared for me as you have. However, we wish to rather perpetuate our luxuries of this world (by forsaking them here) to find them in the Aakhirah. Have you not heard that (in the Aakhirah) Allaah will say to some people:

''You have used up your good things in your worldly life (and therefore have nothing for yourselves here) ". {Surah Ahqaaf, verse 20}

The Abstinence of Umar and his modest attire

Some of the Sahabah (ra) said, "0 assembly of Muhaajireen and Ansaar! Just look at the abstinence of this man and his attire. We have had to endure plenty of embarrassment on account of him because since Allaah has granted him victory over the domains of Rome and Persia and the far reaches of the East and West, many Arab and non-Arab delegations come to him and see him wearing the same robe with twelve patches. You people are the senior companions of Rasulullaah SCW who are veterans of many great battles. You are also the early vanguard from the Muhaajireen and Ansaar. Therefore, 0 companions of Rasulullaah SCW why do you not ask him to change his robe for something softer that would instil awe into someone looking on. He should also have (an elaborate) meal platter served to him every morning and another every evening from which he could eat and also feed the Muhaajireen and Ansaar with him."

All of them unanimously agreed that only two persons could suggest this to Umar (ra).They were Ali bin Abi Taalib (ra) because he was the boldest before Umar (ra)and also his father-in-law. The other was Umar’s (ra) daughter Hafsah (ra) because she was the wife of Rasulullaah SCW. Umar (ra) respected her because of her relationship with Rasulullaah SCW. When they approached Ali (ra) he refused to do it and referred the people to the wives of Rasulullaah SCW because they were after all the mothers of all Mu'mineen and could therefore address Umar (ra) without fear.They then asked Aa'isha (ra) and Hafsah (ra) at a time when the two happened to be together. When Aa'isha (ra) agreed to ask Umar (ra), Hafsah (ra) said, "I don't think that he will oblige. However, you will soon find out."

When the two ladies went to Umar (ra), he welcomed them in. Aa'isha (ra) said, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! Will you permit us to say something?" "Go ahead and speak, 0 Ummul Mu'mineen," replied Umar (ra). She said, "Rasulullaah SCW has passed on to his way to Jannah and to Allaah's pleasure without taking any portion of this world and without the world coming to him. Abu Bakr (ra) passed on in a like manner in the footsteps of Rasulullaah SCW after reviving his Sunnah, finishing off those who rejected Islaam and giving thorough replies to those who trod the path of falsehood.

He exercised justice amongst the people, distributed wealth amongst them with equity and pleased the Rabb of creation. Allaah then took him into His mercy and joined him with His Nabi SCW and those most high (the Ambiyaa in the high ranks of Jannah). Neither did he desire this world not did it come to him. Allaah has now conquered the treasures of Roman and Persian Emperors at your hands and gave you their lands. Their wealth has been carried to you and the ends of the East and West have fallen to your feet. We now anticipate even more from Allaah to bolster Islaam. Envoys from the various non-Arab tribes come to you and many Arab delegations also meet with you while you are wearing that robe that has twelve patches. Why do you not change your robe for something softer that would instil awe into someone looking on and have a meal platter served to you every morning and another every evening from which you could eat and also feed the Muhaajireen and Ansaar with you?"

When he heard this, Umar (ra) started weeping profusely. He then asked, "I ask you to tell me in the name of Allaah whether Rasulullaah SCW ever filled himself with even barley bread for ten nights or even five or three nights? Or did he ever eat both a morning and evening meal in a day until he met Allaah?" Addressing Aa'isha (ra), Umar (ra) continued, "Do you ever know of a time when food was served to Rasulullaah SCW on a table that was even a handspan higher than the ground? Or was it that when he wanted• food, it was placed on the ground and (after eating) it was then taken away?" Both ladies replied, ''We swear by Allaah that this was the case." He then said, "The two of you are the wives of Rasulullaah ~ and the mothers of the Mu'mineen. You have rights over all the Mu'mineen and especially over me. However, you have come to encourage me towards things of this world when I know that Rasulullaah SCW wore a woollen robe so rough in texture that it actually scratched his skin. Do you know about this?" ''We swear by Allaah that we do!" they both admitted. Umar (ra) continued, "Do you not know that Rasulullaah ~ used to sleep on a single folded robe? And, 0 Aa'isha, did you not have a coarse sheet made of animal hairs that Rasulullaah SCW used as a rug during the day and bedding during the nights? When we used to come to see him, we could always notice the imprints of the straw mat on his sides.

0 Hafsah! Remember that you told me that one night you double folded the bedding and finding it soft, Rasulullaah SCW slept through the night and woke up only with Bilaal's Adhaan. He then said to you, '0 Hafsah! What have you done? You had double folded the bedding last night, causing sleep to carry me through to the morning. What need have I for this world? Why do you preoccupy me with soft beds?' 0 Hafsah! Don't you know that all Rasulullaah SCW earlier and later error had been forgiven? Yet he went hungry in the evenings, spent his sleeping hours in Sajdah and remained in Ruku, weeping and humbling himself before Allaah throughout the hours of the day and night. This he did until the day Allaah took him into the fold of His mercy and pleasure. Umar shall never eat good foods, and shall never wear fine clothing because he has a perfect example in his two companions (Rasulullaah SCW and Abu Bakr (ra) ). He shall also never eat two meals at the same time except for having salt and olive oil together. He shall eat meat only once a month just so that his month passes like the masses." The two ladies then left and informed the Sahabah (ra) about what had transpired. Umar (ra) remained like this until he eventually left to meet Allaah.

The Abstinence of Uthmaan bin Afaan (ra)

His Clothing and Food and Sleeping on a Straw Mat in the Masjid

Abdul Malik bin Shaddaad says that he once saw uthmaan (ra) on the pulpit on a Friday wearing a thick lower garment sewn in Aden that was worth no more than four or five Dirhams. His upper garment was made of a reddish brown Kufi material.

When Hasan was asked about the people who slept in the Masjid in the afternoons, he replied, "During his period as Khalifah, I saw uthmaan bin Affaan (ra) sleep in the Masjid in the afternoon. When he then got up, the imprint of the straw mat was visible on his side. The people then used to say (out of astonishment). 'That is the Ameerul Mu'mineen! That is the Ameerul Mu'mineen!"

BiLaaL   

Continued from previous post…

The Abstinence of Ali bin Abi Taalib (ra)

His Food

A man from the Thaqeef tribe says, " Ali (ra) appointed me as governor of a place called Ukbara. It was a place in rural Iraq where no Muslims lived. Ali (ra) told me to meet him the following day at the time of zuhr. When I went to him, I found no doorman to prevent me from entering and saw him sitting down with a jug and a glass of water. When he asked for a bag to be brought to him, I thought, 'Perhaps he trusts me so much that he is going to give me a precious jewel'. I had no idea what was in the bag. It was sealed and when he broke the seal. I was surprised to find that there was barley flour inside.

He took some out of the bag, put it in a cup and then poured water into it. He drank the mixture and also gave me drink. Unable to contain myself, I said, '0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! You are having this in Iraq, when Iraq has foods much better than this?' He replied, 'By Allaah: I do not have these bags sealed because of stinginess. The reason (for sealing them) is that I buy exactly how much I need (from Madinah) and fear that it should not deplete (by spilling) because I would then have to cook something else (from Iraq). This is my way of looking after it because I don't like anything but pure foods to enter my belly.'"

The Abstinence of Mus'ab Bin Umayr (ra)

The Narration of Ali (ra) and the Statement of Rasulullaah SCW

Ali (ra) says, "One winter morning I left home extremely hungry with the cold almost killing me. There was a piece of undyed leather at home which was still smelly. I cut it to put my head through and tied it to my chest to ward off the cold. By Allaah, there was nothing at home that I could eat and had there been any food in Rasulullaah SCW house, some of if it would have definitely reached me.

As I was walking in one end of Madinah, I peeped through a hole in the wall of an orchard where I saw a Jew standing in his orchard. He said, 'What is the problem, 0 Bedouin? Are you prepared to earn a date for every bucket of water you draw from the well?' 'Certainly,' I replied, 'open the gate.' I entered the orchard after he opened the gate and started drawing water. He gave me a date for every bucket I drew until my hand was full of dates. I then said, 'That is enough for now.'

Thereafter, I arrived before Rasulullaah SCW who was sitting in the Masjid with a group of Sahabah (ra). It was then that Mus'ab bin umayr (ra) appeared wearing a patched shawl. Rasulullaah ~ mentioned the opulence that Mus'ab was used to (before becoming a Muslim) and seeing his condition (at the time), Rasulullaah ‘s SCW eyes filled with tears and he started weeping.

Rasulullaah SCW then said, 'What will be your condition when that time comes when one of you would be wearing an outfit in the mornings and then another in the evenings, and your homes will be adorned like the covering of the Kabah?' we replied, 'In that time, we shall be in a better position because we will have others to do the hard work for us while we free ourselves for Ibaadah.' 'No,' said Rasulullaah SCW 'You are better off today than you would be during those days’.

The Abstinence of Uthmaan bin M a dh' (ra)

Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) reports that after Uthmaan bin Madh'oon (ra) had passed away, Rasulullaah SCW came to him and bent over him as if advising him. Rasulullaah SCW then raised his head and signs of crying could be noticed from his eyes. Rasulullaah SCW then bent over (the corpse) again and when he raised his head, he was weeping. Thereafter, Rasulullaah SCW bent over him for the third time and when he raised his head this time, he was sobbing profusely. The Sahabah (ra) then understood that Uthmaan bin Madh'oon (ra) had certainly passed away and they all started to weep. "Stop," said Rasulullaah SCW, "This is from Shaytaan, so repent to Allaah." Addressing Uthmaan bin Madh'oon (ra) Rasulullaah SCW then said, "0 Abu Saa'ib! do not grieve, for you have left this world without taking anything of it with you."

Another narration states that Rasulullaah SCW said, "May Allaah shower His mercy on you, 0 Uthmaan! Neither have you taken from this world nor has it taken from you."

The Abstinence of Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah (ra)

Urwa (ra) reports that when Umar (ra) once went to see Abu Ubaydah bin ]arraah (ra) he found him lying down on a saddle blanket, using the animal's satchel as a pillow. Umar (ra) said, "Why have you not adopted that (luxuries) which your companions have adopted?" Abu Ubaydah (ra) replied, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen, this is sufficient to take me to the grave." In his narration, Ma'mar narrates that when Umar (ra) arrived in Shaam, the common people as well as the leaders came to meet him. "Where is my brother?" Umar (ra) asked. "Who is he?" the people enquired. "Abu Ubaydah," Umar (ra) replied. The people said, "Here he comes." When Abu Ubaydah (ra) came Umar (ra) descended from his animal and embraced him. Umar (ra) then went to Abu Ubaydah ‘s (ra) house and saw nothing there but his sword, his shield and his conveyance. The rest of the narration is similar to the one above.

The Abstinence of Salmaan Faarsi (ra)

His Abstinence as Governor

Hasan reports that the allowance Salmaan Faarsi (ra) received was five thousand Dirhams and he was governor of approximately thirty thousand Muslims. However, he still delivered lectures to the people wrapping a part of his robe over himself while spreading the other part on the ground to sit upon. He always spent the allowance (on others) whenever he received it and would subsist on the income he received from the baskets he weaved from the fibres of palm leave.

The Abstinence of Abu Dharr Ghifaari (ra)

Abdullaah bin Khiraash reports that he once saw Abu Dharr (ra) sitting in the shade in Rabdha. He was sitting on a piece of coarse sack cloth with his wife who was a black woman. (In pity) Someone said to him, ''You have no surviving children." Abu Dharr (ra) replied, "All praises are for Allaah Who has taken them from this temporary world and kept them as a treasure for us in the everlasting world."Why do you rather not use a mat that is softer than this one?" Abu Dharr (ra) responded by praying, "0 Allaah! Forgive me. Take from me as many bounties as You please."

Rasulullaah SCW had informed me that before the bridge of Siraat is an extremely slippery path. We would be able to pass it more easily when our loads are light and compact than when we are burdened with heavy loads."

The Abstinence of Abu Dardaa (ra) and the Reason for his Abstinence

A narration states that Abu Dardaa (ra) said, "I swear by the Being Who controls the life of Abu Dardaa! Even today I would not like to have a shop at the door of the Masjid that without missing a single salaah with Jamaa'ah, gives me a profit of forty Dinaars all of which I spend in the path of Allaah." "Why would you not like that, 0 Abu Dardaa?" someone asked. Abu Dardaa (ra) replied, "Because of the intensity of reckoning."

Another narration states that Abu Dardaa (ra) said, "It gives me no pleasure to stand on the step of the Masjid, buying and selling to earn a profit of three hundred Dinaars without missing a single salaah in the Masjid. I am not saying ,that Allaah has made trade impermissible and has not made interest Haraam, but I wish to be amongst those people whom neither trade nor commerce distracts from the Dhikr of Allaah.

Khaalid bin Hudayr Aslami narrates, "I once met Abu Dardaa (ra) lying on a bedding made of leather or wool. He was covered with a woollen blanket and his shoes were even woollen. He happened to be ill that day and was perspiring profusely. I said, 'If you wished, you could cover your bedding with the thin cloth and yourself with the Saffron coloured shawl that the Ameerul Mu'mineen had sent to you.' He replied, 'We have a permanent abode (the Aakhirah) towards which we are heading and for which we carry out our deeds (it is therefore best to give our wealth to the poor so that it may benefit us in the Aakhirah).

The Incident between him and Umar (ra)

Umar (ra) pushed open the door (of Abu Dardaa (ra) home), he found that it had no lock. The two men entered the dark room and Umar (ra) had to feel his way around until he found Abu Dardaa (ra)When Umar ((ra) felt the pillow of Abu Dardaa (ra), he found that it was made from the blanket used on animals. When he felt the ground, there was only sand and when he felt the clothing of Abu Dardaa (ra), he discovered that it was a flimsy shawl. Abu Dardaa (ra) asked, "Who is this? Is it the Ameerul Mu'mineen?" When Umar (ra) confirmed that he was the Ameerul Mu'mineen, Abu Dardaa (ra) said, ''You are late. We had been waiting for you all year." Umar (ra) said, "May Allaah have mercy on you. Have I not granted you sufficient wealth? Have I not given you plenty?" Abu Dardaa (ra) said, "0 Umar Do you not remember a Hadith that Rasulullaah SCW mentioned to us?" "which Hadith?" asked Umar (ra). Abu Dardaa (ra) replied, "(The Hadith in which Rasulullaah SCW said,) 'The limit of a person's possessions in this world should be like the provisions of a traveller.'" "Oh yes (I have heard the Hadith)" confirmed Umar (ra). Abu Dardaa (ra) then asked, "Now what have we done after Rasulullaah SCW, 0 Umar?" The two Sahabah then continued reminding each other (of the words of Rasulullaah SCW) with tears in their eyes until morning arrived.

BiLaaL   

Keeping The Heart Free from ill-Feelings and Jealousy

The Incident of Abdullaah bin Amr (ra) and a Sahabi Whom Rasulullaah SCW had Given the Glad Tidings of Jannah

Anas (ra) reports that they were once sitting with Rasulullaah SCW when he said, "A man from amongst the people of Jannah shall now appear before you." A man from the Ansaar then arrived with his beard dripping water from his wudhu and hanging his shoes over his left hand. The next day Rasulullaah SCW said the same thing and the same man again appeared as he did the first time. On the third day, Rasulullaah SCW again repeated his words and the man appeared yet again in the same state as he did previously. After Rasulullaah SCW had stood up (and left), Abdullah bin Amr bin AI AaS (ra) followed the man saying to him, "I had an argument with my father and swore not to go home for three days. Do you think that you could accommodate me at your place until the period expires?" When the man agreed, Abdullaah bin Amr (ra) stayed with him for three days.

Abdullaah bin Amr (ra) did not see the man perform any salaah during the night. All he did was to engage in Dhikr and recite "Allaahu Akbar" whenever he awoke at night and turned on another side. He then continued sleeping until the Fajr salaah. "Apart from this," Abdullaah bin Amr (ra) recalls, "I heard him speaking only good. After the three days had passed, I was on the verge of thinking that his deeds were not deserving (of the accolade Rasulullaah SCW paid to them), when I enquired, '0 servant of AIlaah! There was never any argument or severed tie between my father and I. (I wanted to stay with you because) On three occasions I heard Rasulullaah SCW say, 'A man from amongst the people of Jannah shall now appear before you.' On each of the three occasions, it was you who appeared. I therefore made up my mind to stay with you for three days to observe your actions so that I may follow suit. I have however not seen you do anything extraordinary. What is it that you do to deserve what Rasulullaah SCW said?" "There is nothing besides what you have observed," the man replied. When Abdullaah was leaving, the man called him back and said, "There is nothing besides what you have observed. However, another thing is that I harbour absolutely no ill-feelings towards any Muslim and I do not begrudge anyone for any good that Allaah has granted him." Abdullaah (ra) confirmed, "It is this that has conveyed you (to the status Rasulullaah SCW gave you)."

Another narration names the Sahabi as Sa'd (ra). The end of this narration states that Sa'd (ra) said, "There is nothing besides what you have observed, dear nephew. However, I never go to sleep with any ill-feelings for any Muslim."

Another narration names the sahabi as sa'd bin Abi Waqqaas (ra). The end part of that narration states that Sa’d said, "There is nothing besides what you have observed, dear nephew. However, I do not harbour any ill-feelings for any Muslim and never speak any ill about them." To this, Abdullaah bin Arnr (ra) remarked, "It is this that has conveyed (glad tidings of Jannat) to you.

Deriving Pleasure from the Happiness of the Muslims

Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) is Happy for the Happiness of the Muslims

Buraydah Aslami (ra) narrates that when someone once insulted Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra), he responded by saying, "You are insulting me when I have three qualities in me. Whenever I recite a verse of Allaah's Book, I wish that all of mankind also share the knowledge I have. (The second is that) Whenever I hear of a Muslim ruler exercising justice amongst the people, I become extremely happy even though I may never have the opportunity of having a case judged by him. (The third is that) Whenever I hear about rains falling upon any city of the Muslims, I become very happy (for them) even though I have no grazing animals in that area."

Hating the Sin and not the Sinner

Abu Dardaa (ra) and Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (ra) Forbid Swearing at a Sinner

Abu Qilaaba narrates that Abu Dardaa (ra) once passed by a person whom people were insulting for committing a sin. Abu Dardaa (ra) said to them, "If you people ever found him lying in a well, would you take him out of it?" When they replied that they certainly would, Abu Dardaa (ra) said, "Then do not insult your brother but rather thank Allaah for safeguarding you (from the sin)." "Do you not hate him?" the people enquired. Abu Dardaa (ra) replied, "I only hate his evil act. When he forsakes it, he is again my brother."

Another narration states that AbduIlaah bin Mas'ood (ra) said, 'When you see your brother commit a sin, do not assist shaytaan against him by saying, 'O Allaah Humiliate him! O Allaah Curse him!' Rather ask Allaah for safety (from the sin). We the companions of Rasulullaah SCW never said anything about a person until we knew in what condition he died. If he died in a good manner, we then knew for certain that he earned much good. On the other hand, if he died in a bad way, we feared for him."

BiLaaL   

The Sahabah (ra) Visit each Other

Anas (ra) reports that Rasulullaah SCW used to forge a bond of brotherhood between every two Sahabah. (The bond became so strong that) the night would seem extremely long for each one of the two until he had met his brother. They would show great love and affection to each other when they did meet and would ask each other what he had done since they last met. As for the others (between whom no bonds were formed), not even three days would pass any of them without him getting to know what had happened to his brother.

A narration states that when the companions of Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (ra) came to see him, he said, "Do you people sit in each other's company?" "That we do not omit," they replied. "Do you still visit each other?" he enquired further. "Certainly, 0 Abu Abdur Rahmaan," they replied, "When one of us does not see his brother, he would go walking to the end of Kufa to meet him." Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (ra) then remarked, "You people will certainly remain in good stead as long as you keep doing this."

Ummu Dardaa (ra) says that Salmaan (ra) once came walking all the way from Madaa'in to visit them (her husband Abu Dardaa (ra) in Shaam. He was then wearing a short shawl that just covered his knees.

Fulfilling the Need of a Muslim

Ali (ra) once said. "I cannot say which of the two favours of Allaah to me are greater. Whether it is a man coming to me with the sincere belief that I am able to fulfil his need or whether it is the favour of Allaah fulfilling his need or at least alleviating some of it at my hand. Fulfilling the need of a Muslim is something I love more than the earth full of gold and silver."

Walking to Fulfil the Needs of a Muslim: Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) Leaves His I'tikaaf to Fulfil a Need of a Muslim

Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) was once observing I'tikaaf in the Masjid of Rasulullaah SCW when a man came to him. After the man had greeted with Salaam and sat down, Abdullah bin Abbaas (ra) said, "It seems that you are extremely concerned about something?" "That is true, 0 cousin of Rasulullaah SCW the man replied, "I am indebted to someone and I swear by the honour of the occupant of this grave (Rasulullaah SCW) that I am unable to settle it." "Should I speak to him on your behalf?" Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) offered. "if you please," the man replied.

Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) then put on his shoes and left the Masjid. The man called out, "Have you forgotten what you were engaged in (your I'tikaaf)?" "NO," Abdullaah bin Abbaas (ra) replied, "It is something that I heard from the occupant of this grave and it was not a long time ago." His eyes then welled with tears as he continued, "I heard him say, 'Whoever walks to fulfil the need of a Muslim and applies himself in this regard, it will be better for him than ten years of I'tikaaf. As for the one who spends a single day in I'tikaaf for the pleasure of Allaah, Allaah will place between him and the fire of Jahannam three trenches larger than the distance between the heavens and the earth."

BiLaaL   

The noble traits of the Sahabah are so myriad and wondrous. The following narrations relate how the Sahabah RA respected, admired and honoured one another. The most illustrious of them practiced such modesty in front of his fellow Sahabah that they would diminish their own unique traits and instead chose to praise their companions. Rasulullah SCW also praised the Sahabah (RA) and testified to their noble traits. May we all follow in their noble examples and strive to improve our own character.

Rasulullaah SCW Testifies to the Excellent Character of Abu Ubaydah (RA)

Hasan reports that Rasulullaah SCW once said, "If I chose to do so, I could take each of my companions to task for aspects of their character except for Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah" (RA).

Rasulullaah SCW says that the Character of Uthmaan (RA) is Closest to his Own

Abdur Rahmaan bin Uthmaan Qurashi narrates that RasululIaah SCW once visited his daughter as she was washing the head of (her husband) Uthmaan (RA). Addressing her, Rasulullaah SCW said, "Beloved daughter! Treat Abu Abdullaah (Uthmaan RA) well because from all my companions, his character is closest to my own."

Rasulullaah SCW's Comments about the Character of Ja'far (RA), Zaid (RA), Ali (RA) and Abdullaah bin J a ‘f (RA)

Ali (RA) narrates, "Ja'far (RA), Zaid (RA)and I once came to Rasulullaah SCW. Rasulullaah SCW said to Zaid (RA), 'You are our brother and friend.' Zaid (RA) sKipped with joy. Rasulullaah SCW then said to Ja'far (RA), 'You resemble me both in looks and in personality'. Ja'far (RA) then skipped about even more than Zaid (RA). Thereafter, Rasulullaah SCW said to me, 'You are from me and I from you.' I therefore skipped about more than Zaid (RA) and Ja'far (RA).

Usaamah bin Zaid (RA) reports that Rasulullaah SCW once said to Ja'far (RA), "Your personality is like mine and your physical appearance also resembles my own. You are therefore from me. And you, 0 Ali. You are also from me and the father of my grandsons."

The Statement of Abdullaah bin Umar (RA) Regarding, Uthmaan (RA) and Abu Ubaydah (RA)

Abdullaah bin Umar (RA) says, "There are three men from the Quraysh who are the most handsome, have the best character and have the most resolute sense of modesty. when they speak to you, they can never be lying and when you speak to them, they will never regard you as a liar. They are Abu Bakr Siddeeq (RA), Uthmaan bin Affaan (RA) and Abu Ubaydah bin Jarraah (RA).

Another narration states that Abdullaah bin Umar (RA) said, "There are three men from the Quraysh who are the most handsome, have the best character and have the strongest sense of modesty. They are Abu Bakr (RA), Uthmaan (RA) and Abu Ubaydah (RA).

The Excellent Character of Mus'ab (RA) and Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (RA)

Aamir bin Rabee'ah (RA) says, " Mus'ab bin Umayr (RA) was a friend of mine from the time he accepted Islaam up to the time that he was martyred at Uhud. May Allaah shower His mercy on him. He accompanied us on both migrations to Abyssinia and was my travelling companion. I must say that I have never seen a person with better character than him nor one who had fewer differences with people than he."

Habba bin Juwayn reports that they were once with Ali (RA) when they started to mention some of the statements of Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (RA) praising him, someone said (to Ali), "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen we have never seen a man with better character, nor anyone who teaches as compassionately. nor anyone who is better company nor anyone more pious than Abdullaah bin Mas'ood (RA)." Ali (RA) asked, "I ask you to say in the name of Allaah whether this is the truth in your hearts." When they expressed that it was, Ali (RA) remarked, "0 Allaahl I make You the Witness that my opinion of him ( Abdullaah bin Mas'ood ) is as these people have expressed or even better." Another narration states that in praise for Abdul1aah bin Maslood (RA), the person even added, "He reads the Qur'aan, regarding what it makes lawful as lawful and what it forbids as forbidden. He has a deep understanding of the Deen and has immense knowledge of the Sunnah."

BiLaaL   

In the preceding post, one of the Sahabi whose character Rasulullah SCW praised is Abu 'Ubaydah Ibn Al-Jarraah. Let us learn more about the attributes of his noble character and why Rasulallah SCW gave him the title 'The Trustworthy of This Nation'

The following is taken from the book titled 'Men Around The Messenger' which is available here - http://www.kalamullah.com/books.html

ABU `UBAIDAH IBN AL-JARRAAH - The Trustworthy of This Nation

Who was the man whose right hand the Prophet (PBUH) held and said, `In every nation there exists a man worthy of all trust and the trustworthy of this nation is Abu `Ubaidah lbn Al- Jarraah." Who was the man whom the Prophet sent with reinforcements to `Amr Ibn Al-'Aas in the Dhaat As-Salaasil Expedition and made commander of the army that included `Umar and Abu Bakr? Who was this Companion who was the first to be called the Commander of the Commanders? Who was that tall, slim man with gaunt face? Who was that strong, trustworthy man about whom `Umar lbn Al Khattaab said on his deathbed, "If Abu `Ubaidah Ibn Al-Jarraah were alive, I would have entrusted him with the caliphate, and if Allah asked me about him, I would say, I assigned the caliphate to the trustworthy of Allah and His Prophet, Abu `Ubaidah Ibn Al Jarraah.

He embraced Islam at the hands of Abu Bakr As-Siddiiq at the dawn of Islam, even before the Prophet walked into Daar Al-Arqam. He emigrated to Abyssinia during the second emigration, then returned to stand by the Prophet at Badr, Uhud, and the rest of the great battles.

Even after the Prophet's death, he continued to be strong and trustworthy in his striving during the caliphates of Abu Bakr and the Commander of the Faithful `Umar. He renounced the world and endured its hardships. He pursued his Islam with an admirable asceticism, piety, firmness, and trustworthiness. When Abu `Ubaidah took the oath of allegiance to the Messenger and dedicated his life in the way of Allah, he knew exactly what those words "in the way of Allah" meant. When Abu `Ubaidah fulfilled his pledge as other Companions did, the Prophet saw in his conscientiousness and life style that which made him worthy of the epithet he had given him, namely, "The Trustworthy of This Nation"

Abu `Ubaidah's trustworthiness towards his responsibilities was one of his most outstanding traits. For instance, in the Battle of Uhud, he realized from the way the battle was conducted that the disbelievers' first priority was to kill the great Messenger (PBUH). To them, achieving victory was of secondary importance compared to killing the Prophet. Therefore, he decided to stay very close to where he was. Abu Ubaidah thrust his sword into the army of paganism that craved to put out the light of Allah once and for all. Whenever the fierce fight led him far away from the Prophet, he fought ferociously while his eyes were fixed on where the Prophet stood, watching him with great concern. Whenever Abu `Ubaidah saw a potential danger approaching the Prophet, he jumped swiftly to send the enemies of Allah on their heels before they could injure the Prophet. Finally, he managed to disperse them and darted towards the Messenger, who was wiping the noble blood that ran down his face with his right hand, then exclaimed, `How can they succeed after they tinged with blood the face of their Prophet who invites them to the way of Allah?" When Abu `Ubaidah saw the two rings of the Prophet's chain mail that had pierced his cheeks, he rushed and held the first one with his front teeth and pulled it out. Yet as it fell, it took out his upper front teeth as well, and the same thing happened to the lower front teeth when he pulled out the second ring.

When the Prophet (PBUH) appointed him as a commander in Al-Khabat Expedition, he had no supplies except for a knapsack full of dates. Notwithstanding the difficult mission and long distance, Abu `Ubaidah withstood this against all odds with tremendous self-denial and joy. He and his soldiers marched for miles with nothing to eat but a few dates daily until they ran out of dates and had to pick up withered leaves with their bows and crush and swallow them with water. Hence, the expedition was called Al-Khabat (i.e. The Struggle). They proceeded regardless of the danger and the risks. They did not worry about starvation or deprivation. The only thing that mattered to them was to accomplish their glorious mission under the leadership of their strong and trustworthy commander.

The Prophet (PBUH) loved this trustworthy one of his nation so much that he gave him preference over everyone else. For instance, when the Najraan delegation arrived from Yemen after they had embraced Islam, they asked the Prophet to send someone to them to teach them the Qur'aan, the Sunnah, and Islam. The Prophet told them, "I will send you a trustworthy man, a very trustworthy man. When the Companions heard this praise, every one of them prayed that the Prophet meant him with this praise and sincere recommendation. `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated thus. I have never craved command in my life except on that day, in hope that I would be the man whom the Prophet held in such high esteem. Therefore, I went in intense heat to perform my Dhuhr prayer. When the Prophet finished leading the prayer, he looked to his right, then to his left. I stood on my toes to draw his attention to me, yet he kept on looking round until he saw Abu `Ubaidah Ibn Al-Jarraah and ordered him, "Go with them and judge in fruth between them in the matters in which they dispute." Afterwards, Abu `Ubaidah traveled with them.

When Khaalid Ibn Al-Wallid was the commander of the Muslim armies in one of the great decisive battles, the first action of `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab, the new caliph at the time, was to dismiss Khaalid and assign Abu Ubaidah in his place. When Abu `Ubaidah received the message from `Umar he decided to conceal its purport. He pleaded with the messenger to keep it a secret with great admirable asceticism, intelligence, and fidelity. When Khaalid achieved his great victory, and only then, did Abu `Ubaidah relay to him the message with extraordinary politeness. On reading the Khaalid asked him, `May Allah bestow His mercy on you, Abu `Ubaidah. What made you keep that message from me?" The Trustworthy of the Nation answered, "I was afraid lest it should cause any confusion that might affect the army's morale. We do not crave life or its splendor. We are brothers before Allah."

Thus, Abu `Ubaidah was assigned as the commander-in -chief in Syria. His army was the mightiest and best equipped among the Muslim armies. You could hardly distinguish him from the rank and file of the army. He was always unassuming. When he heard that the people of Syria were infatuated by him and by his new rank, he asked them to assemble, then addressed them saying, "Fellow men, I'm a Muslim from the Quraish tribe. I will follow any of you like his shadow regardless of the color of his skin, if he is more pious and righteous than me."

May Allah greet you, Abu `Ubaidah. May Allah bless the religion that refined you and the Prophet who instructed you. He said that he was a Muslim from the Quraish. His religion was Islam and his tribe was Quraish. For him, this sufficed as an identification. His being the commander -in-chief, the leader of the greatest Muslim army in number, equipment, and victory and the obeyed and respected ruler of Syria were not privileges in themselves. He was not ensnared by the web of conceit or haughtiness. As a matter of fact, all these titles and high positions were the means to a sublime ultimate end.

One day, the Commander of the Faithful visited Syria and asked those who were at his reception, "Where is my brother?" They asked, "Who do you mean?" He answered, "Abu `Ubaidah Ibn Al Jarraah." Soon Abu `Ubaidah arrived and hugged Umar, then he invited him over to his house, where he had no furniture. In fact, he had nothing but a sword, a shield, and a saddlebag. `Umar asked him, smiling, "Why don't you furnish your house as people do?" Abu `Ubaidah readily answered, "O Commander of the Faithful, as you see, I have a room to sleep in and that is enough for me."

One day as the Commander of the Faithful Umar "Al-Faruuq" was conducting the affairs of the vast Muslim world, he received the sad news of Abu `Ubaidah's death. He tried to control himself, but his sadness got the better of him and his tears flowed. He asked Allah to bestow His mercy on his brother. He recalled his memories with Abu `Ubaidah (May Allah be pleased with him) with patience and tenderness. He exclaimed, "If I were to make a wish, I would have wished a house full of men just like Abu `Ubaidah."

The Trustworthy of This Nation died in the land which he had purified from the paganism of the Persians and the oppression of the Romans. Today in Jordan lie his noble remains which once were full of life, goodness, and satisfaction. It does not matter if you know where he is buried or not, for if you want to find his grave, you will need no guide; the fragrance of his remains will lead you to it.

BiLaaL   

The humility of the Sahabah

The humility of the Sahabah was unparalleled. Here are just a few examples of their humility.

Ali (RA) said: "Three Factors form the Core of Humility"

Ali (RA) once said, "Three factors form the core of humility: “That one is first to greet whoever one meets, that one is content with an inferior position in a gathering rather than one of superiority and that one dislikes ostentation and boastfulness."

Umar (RA) Ridicules Himself in his Sermon

Umar Makhzoomi reports that Urnar bin Khattaab (RA) once made an announcement for the people to gather in the Masjid. The people got together and when a large number had gathered, Umar (RA) mounted the pulpit. After duly praising Allaah and sending salutations on Rasulullaah SCW, he said, "0 people! I have seen the time when I used to graze animals for my maternal aunts from the Banu Makhzoom tribe. (As wages) They would then give me a handful of dates and raisins. I would then spend the entire day doing this and what days they were?!" When Umar (RA) descended from the pulpit, Abdur Rahmaan bin Auf (RA) said, "0 Ameerul Mu'mineen! All you have done is ridicule yourself." Shame on you, 0 Ibn Auf!" Umar (RA) exclaimed, ''When I was alone by myself, the thought came to mind that since I am the Ameerul Mu'mineen, there must be none better than me. (By doing what I did) I wanted to remind myself who I used to be."

Another narration states that Umar (RA) added, "0 people! I have seen the time when I had no source of livelihood apart from a few handfuls of raisins that my aunts from the Banu Makhzoom tribe would give me for bringing water for them." This narration ends with the words, "I found some pride in myself and therefore wished to humble myself (by telling the people what I did)."

Umar (RA) rides a camel on his journey to Shaam

Aslam reports that when Umar (RA) arrived in Shaam riding a camel, the people started talking amongst themselves (that he should have rather chosen a good horse for the journey). To this, Umar (RA) remarked, "Their gazes are on the conveyances of people (the Kuffaar) who have no portion (in the Aakhirah). They had rather look to the conveyances used by Rasulullaah SCW and the Muslims."

Umar (RA) Teaches Women how to make Flour

Hishaam narrates that he once saw Umar (RA) pass by a woman who was busy making Aseedah (a paste made from flour and clarified butter). "That is not how Aseedah is made," said Umar (RA). He then took a wooden spoon and showed her how to make it saying, "This is how it is done."

Hishaam bin Khaalid says that he heard Umar bin Khattaab (RA) say (as he taught some women to make Aseedah), ''You should never add the flour until the water is hot. When the water gets hot, you should then add the flour gradually as you stir with a spoon because it will then mix well without forming lumps."

Umar (RA) and Uthmaan (RA) allow People to Ride with them on their Animals

The grandfather of Maalik say that he saw Umar (RA) and uthmaan (RA) when they arrived from Makkah and camped at a place called Mu'arras (Dhul Hulayfah). when the party rode again to enter Madinah, everyone of them took a youngster to ride with him. In this manner, they entered Madinah. Even Umar (RA) and Uthmaan (RA) had someone riding with them. One of the narrator's students asked, "Did they do this because of humility?" The reply was, "Certainly. In addition to this, they also wished to benefit others (so that the person need not walk) and did not want to be like other rulers (who feel it below their dignity to allow a commoner to ride with them)." The narrator then proceeded to criticise the new trend (of rulers) to make youngsters walk behind them as they rode.

The Humility of Uthmaan

Hasan says, "I saw Uthmaan (RA) sleeping in the Masjid covered in a shawl. Although he was then the Ameerul Mu'mineen, there was none around him."

The Humility of Ameerul Mu'mineen Ali (RA)

Zaadhaan reports that even as Ameerul Mu'mineen, Ali (RA) used to walk alone in the marketplace where he would guide lost people, announce lost items and assist the weak. When passing by traders and grocers, he would open the Qur'aan and recite to them:

28_83.png

That home of the Hereafter We assign to those who do not desire exaltedness upon the earth or corruption. And the [best] outcome is for the righteous {Surah Qasas, verse 83}

He would then say, "This verse was revealed with reference to rulers and people with authority over others who (despite their positions, they) exercise justice and are humble”.

The Humility of Salmaan Faarsi

Thaabit reports that Salmaan (RA) was the governor of Madaa'in when a man arrived from Shaam carrying figs. Because Salmaan (RA) was wearing his simple lower garment and shawl, the man (not recognising Salmaan (RA) and thinking him to be a common labourer) called to him saying, "Come and carry this!" Salmaan (RA) obliged and when the people saw him and recognised who he was, they exclaimed, "This is the governor!" When the man pleaded that he did not recognise Salmaan (RA) (and wished to take the load back), Salmaan (RA) said to him, "Leave it until I reach your destination,"

The Humility of Abdullaah bin Salaam

Abdullaah bin Salaam (RA) was once passing through the marketplace carrying a bundle of wood when someone said to him, "What makes you do this when Allaah has freed you from it (you can always get someone else to do it for you)?" Abdullaah bin Salaam (RA) replied, "I wish to ward off pride because I have heard Rasulullaah SCW say, 'The person in whose heart is an iota of pride will not enter Jannah."

BiLaaL   

The Gratitude of the Sahabah

How grateful are we for the Bounties Allaah SWT has blessed us with? The Sahabah RA were grateful to Allaah for every bounty. They didn't categorize bounties into great/small. Every bounty from Allaah SWT was great in their eyes.

The Gratitude Umar (RA) Showed to Allaah for Elevating his Status

Sulaymaan bin Yasaar narrates that when Umar (RA) once passed by a place called Dajnaan, he said, "I once saw myself grazing animals in this place for (my father) Khattaab. By Allaah! As far as I know, he was a stern and harsh man. (By the grace of Allaah) I then became the guide of the Ummah of Muhammad SCW.He then recited the following couplets (which mean):

"There is nothing in the things you see besides superficial enjoyment

While wealth and children are temporary, all that shall remain is Allaah"

The Statement of Umar (RA) Concerning a Leper

Ikramah (RA) reports that Umar (RA) once passed by a leper who was also blind, deaf and dumb. Addressing the people with him, Umar (RA) asked, "Do you see any of Allaah's bounties in this man?" When the people replied that they saw none, Umar (RA) said, "Why not? Do you not see that he is able to urinate with ease without the urine holding back or coming out with difficulty? This is an extremely great bounty from Allaah."

Umar’s Letter to Abu Moosa Ash'ari and his Statement Concerning People who are Grateful

Hasan Basri narrates that Umar (RA) wrote the following letter to Abu Moosa Ash'ari (RA): "Be content with the sustenance Allaah provides for you in this world because Allaah gives more sustenance to some of His servants and less to others to test all of them. He tests those whom He has given plenty to see whether they are grateful. His gratitude to Allaah fulfils the duty he owes to Allaah for the sustenance and bounties Allaah has blessed him with."

Umar (RA) once said, "The grateful ones always received more from Allaah so seek more from Allaah. This is because Allaah says:

14_7.png

And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor];

The Statement of Ali (RA) Concerning Bounties and Gratitude

Ali (RA) once said, "Every bounty should be followed by gratitude and gratitude is followed by an increase (in the bounty). Gratitude and an increase in bounties are directly proportional to each other. Therefore, Allaah will never stop increasing the bounties on His servant until the servant stops being grateful (in which case they stop)."

The Statements of Abu Dardaa (RA), Aa'isha (RA) and Asmaa (RA) Concerning Gratitude

Abu Dardaa (RA) said, 'When a night or a day passes without people seeing me suffer any difficulty, I see this as an extremely great bounty from Allaah." Another narration quotes him as saying; ''The person who sees Allaah's bounties only in food and drink has a limited understanding and has his punishment ever present."

Aa'isha (RA) once said, "Gratitude is binding on the person who drinks even plain water that enters his body without difficulty and then exits without difficulty."

When (her son) Abdullaah bin zubayr (RA) was martyred, Asmaa bint Abu Bakr (RA) happened to lose something that Rasulullaah SCW gave her and which she kept in a bag. When she finally found it after some searching, she fell into Sajdah (in gratitude to Allaah).