Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

The dark side emerges ...

Reeyo   

I would highly recommend you all read the actual article before you raise your superficial defence shields for a 'fellow Muslim city' and spout nonsense about what the elusive 'West' does as comparison.

Blessed I understand, I used the same heading the writer did for dramatic reasons I presume. And I don't follow your reasoning that you must live and experience a city before you know anything about it.

To be honest I've never liked the city and it's ideals simply because it is very materialistic (as many other cities are) and seems to only appease certain types of ideals.

But I honestly do believe that there is something inherently morally wrong in that city and it's not just the lazy Arabs that are living off the hard work of others or the labour laws and it's fake glittering buildings that symbolise a wealth without substance...there is more there.

N.O.R.F   

Again, the labourers are not 'slaves'. They went there on their own accord. Work and get paid. They're provided with accomodation, transport and lunch breaks. The money they make supports their families.

They work for british/european/indian/chinese construction companies who set their wages. Some are treated better than others but its the companies who are dodging the labour laws where some are mistreated. Not the locals or the ruler.

This isn't a superficial defense but from experience in living in DXB and working there (in the construction field).

The author could perhaps talk of the brits who have bought cars and homes on credit only to do a runner. Or maybe the highest number of expat arrests being Brits.

^ NORF,

save your energy sxb. these are the same brits who complain when the arab 'playboys' converge on knightsbridge with their expensive sports cars. there is some jealous involved here, i reckon.

Reeyo   

N.O.R.F;912754 wrote:

They work for british/european/indian/chinese construction companies who set their wages. Some are treated better than others but its the companies who are dodging the labour laws where some are mistreated. Not the locals or the ruler.

The author could perhaps talk of the brits who have bought cars and homes on credit only to do a runner. Or maybe the highest number of expat arrests being Brits.

This alone speaks volume for me.

1. The country's laws and authority matters little as international corporations call the shoots.

2. The many ex-pats that are drawn to the tax-free and high status jobs find themselves broke and arrested because they were told to believe something that didn't exist?

N.O.R.F   

^What about the other part? :D

1. International companies are fined and their executives locked up whenever cases of abuse occur (check local news articles).

2. The expats broke the laws you're refering to in point 1.

Just don't believe what you read. The UAE has the strongest labour laws in the region and these laws are enforced by the labour ministry. The place isn't perfect but nowhere is.

Alpha, whenever I fly back into Heathrow from Dubai its like I stepped back into the 80s :D

Reeyo   

^ Haha. I like that, trying to even the playing field. Here is the thing I don't care what London looks like, what matters is that it is a reality that I can face not a mirage in the desert that deceives me everytime I think I've reach the place to satisfy my thirst. (Metaphorically)

:)

N.O.R.F   

Dee it depends. I also didn't like Dubay before moving there. Now, I consider it to be one of the best cities in the world (and no city is perfect). Maybe Burco will get close to it one day (without the debt) :D

Reeyo   

In that case 'Mr Brit' take care and don't let the sharks sell you sand and then punish you for not paying for it fast enough. :)

hold on, hold on, if i may interject here.....Reeyo, besides the article, are we able to infer from all these anti-dubai hateration, you were involved in some DXB airport issues with those waaxshi type officials.

why this incessant purposeless hateration please?