Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

Wearing white

^ Nice! I don't believe I have ever seen a bride wearing green, I like.

I personally detest any Somali bride wearing the 'white dress' I'm simply against it because it's not part of our culture. I think the white dress should ONLY be worn by those who marry outside the race to symbolize their departure from our community that's if they ever have a wedding LOL.

Horta, what's up with Somali sisters that marry outside the race? Why don't they ever have a wedding? And why is it they disappear from the community as soon as they marry outside the race unlike other cultures.

chubacka   

^ That's a bit mean, to make those sisters wear white :D

From my experience the girl's family is usually not happy about the choice of partner and the nikah is rushed through when the girl digs her heels in. (All the more power to her I say, the only problem is if it ever goes through, you have about 20 family members bleating we told you so)

I find it wierd when brides in Somali wear the white dress. There are georgeous white dresses out there but it's always a bit predictable and you need to be about a size 0 to pull it off. :D

Aaliyyah   

Garowe girl, the somali community isn't too supportive of people who marry outside of their race. So even if they do have a wedding perhaps the parents don't even want to invite the whole city to the wedding as they would if their daughter or son married within their race. Those weddings are usually small and only few close people are invited. I guess to sort of keep it low key.

As for the color of the wedding dress...islamically speaking you are suppose to be different and not follow the ways of the Christians. And probably it would be recommended strongly that you choose a different color.

Gold or red dress would be nice.

Reeyo   

RED? Aaliyyah, please don't encourage that colour as a wedding dress.

Malika and Blessed; both of your choices sound beautiful.

G-G; I wouldn't know. Do they normally not have a wedding? :/

Chubacka- There is nothing weird about Somali brides wearing the white dress back home it's nothing of phenomenon they were doing that back in the 50's and 60's not mention females back in Somali never ever covered till they married. The Somali today is far different to the Somali back then.

Aaliyyah;913123 wrote:
Garowe girl, the somali community isn't too supportive of people who marry outside of their race. So even if they do have a wedding perhaps the parents don't even want to invite the whole city to the wedding as they would if their daughter or son married within their race. Those weddings are usually small and only few close people are invited. I guess to sort of keep it low key.

Come on Aliyah! If she was marrying a Somali guy she would have demanded a lavish wedding and loads of money but when it's a bloody white convert she is happy to sleep on the floor and submit to everything he demands. And there are many parents that are supportive of their daughters marrying outside the race. I find it laughable that a lot of self-hating sisters always try to justify their actions in relation to their convert husbands. They shamelessly state that their convert husbands are so pure, pious and prefer a low key wedding when in fact we know that this far from the truth. However, if a fellow Farah wanted to marry her she wouldn’t hesitate in demanding a fifty thousand dowry and a flashy wedding. And why is it the converts are always considered and ‘labelled’ to be better than all the Somali brothers?

^You make good point, come to think I have never seen a big wedding involving a Xalimo and revert. It's always low key. I guess the accommodating goes one way. The weddings have happen so fast, meet this morning and in bed together by nightfall.

Wadani   

GaroweGal;913262 wrote:
Chubacka- There is nothing weird about Somali brides wearing the white dress back home it's nothing of phenomenon they were doing that back in the 50's and 60's not mention females back in Somali never ever covered till they married. The Somali today is far different to the Somali back then.

Come on Aliyah! If she was marrying a Somali guy she would have demanded a lavish wedding and loads of money but when it's a bloody white convert she is happy to sleep on the floor and submit to everything he demands. And there are many parents that are supportive of their daughters marrying outside the race. I find it laughable that a lot of self-hating sisters always try to justify their actions in relation to their convert husbands. They shamelessly state that their convert husbands are so pure, pious and prefer a low key wedding when in fact we know that this far from the truth. However, if a fellow Farah wanted to marry her she wouldn’t hesitate in demanding a fifty thousand dowry and a flashy wedding. And why is it the converts are always considered and ‘labelled’ to be better than all the Somali brothers?

Wow, GaroweGal ileen khatarrrr baad tahay. I like the way u think.

nuune   

^^ Che hehe and baby pops out the next evening, wey dhacdaa, waa iga gaarsii aan giraangiree sidii garanuug gaajeysan

Nuune...The whole affair is so fast. I can't hate on the reverts though. I gotta know what they tell these Xalimos. One thing is sure, they use religion very effectively and women used it as shield.

The most surprising story I heard was this woman who married revert within week of meeting him and moved in with him and his other wife in two bedroom apartment. I mean that's some serious game on the guy's part or serious self-deception or delusion on hers. Needless, she was divorced with kid. N they have networks, it's usually women married to reverts that encourage other women,alot time to their own detriments.

On plus side, there are many good couples who marry for the right reasons and are very involved with their respective communities.

nuune   

^^ That network is everywhere, very common in London, up until recently, an event named Somali Marriage Day was held, another one due to be held on Feb, hada revert sheekada wey ka taktey, Tima Jilic ayaa ugaarsi ba'an ugu jiro gabdhaheena, seen yeelnaa mar hadii meel kasta naloo fadhiistey, inteen aadnaa

Wadani   

As long as they stay in qurbaha with their ajanabi husands, then there's no problem. Somalia is for Somalis, period.

Garowe girl. The somali girls I've seen that married non somalis all had big weddings. I feel people are more open to the idea now contrary to few years back when families usually only had the meher and nothing else. Unfortunately those type of girls you mentioned many of them face problems with their marriage later on. That is because they've streched their criterias beyond what they would normally do and is able to handle in the long run. Many are caught up with the beauty of a person converting, that they overlook the personality traits which is vital as no humans are far from perfect regardless conversion or not. It's very sad & this does not only happen to them but with many easily impressionable youths who are religious nowadays.

As for the white dress, anything but white and black is fine with me, I find them boring and too common.

lool@Nuune, good luck to them all. Is the event for Somalis only?

Wadani....some of the children born out of these relationships are very Somali, more Somali than Somalis.

Saxansaxo....some religious centers create cults obsessed with marriages, to the point, common sense goes out of the door.

We are hijacking the thread, a thread dresses of all things loool

nuune   

we not hikacking the thread, it talks about white, and whites are overtaking our women, now hada waaba Asian

No, pre-screening arranegments are held in advance, where Somali men would be excluded, waa racism iska caadi ah, or maybe cunaqabateyn, because the Somali women(gabdho and garoob) will request no Somali men to come to the session,it is cunaqabateyn, wallee Asian ayagaa ka shallaayi doona ee dhaaf.