Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Sex, Power, and the Siad Barre Regime

Taleexi   

By: Hassan M. Abukar

Jan. 11, 2013

“The measure of a man is what he does with power.” Plato.

“Power was my weakness and my temptation.” J.K Rowlings, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Two incidents intrigued me about Siad Barre, the man and the president. One related to him personally, and the other involved members of his government.

In the early 1970s, some of the teenagers in my Isku-Raran neighborhood in Mogadishu told me a bizarre story. Because our neighborhood was mostly dark at night and did not have sufficient street lights, boys used to hang out in front of the old Somali Youth League Center which was well lighted. They said that after mid-night on several occasions they had met President Siad Barre driving his old Fiat 125.

Read more: http://wardheernews.com/Articles_13/Jan/Abukar/11_Sex_Power_and_the_Siad_Barre_Regime.html

Coofle   

Interesting...But Waa sheeko la ogaa, Somalis pre-1990s were faithless and immoral, ,,culture "Dhaqan" was the only bounding entity, once they choose to take take it off, they were "Habar-dugaag". mating at will...

I was agitated at the middle of the story, How come a man doesn't defend his honor 'women", its worth to die for,,,but then, What goes around comes around, they were unfaithful and adulterous themselves...Subxanallah,

Coofle   

Che -Guevara;908634 wrote:
Coofle, wow such sweeping generalization.

Balaayadu waa macalinka Qudha ee waad mahadsantahay la odhan

~Xasan sh. Muumin

The only lesson we learned from our pre-1990s era is that morals are building blocks of a successful nation. the fruits of the previous generation have spoiled the country....most contemporary leaders were the breed of siyaad barre, his brood. (siilaanyo, Faroole etc)

The next generation is now taking matters to their hands, but their biggest flaw is that wali dagaalkii 91-kii ayaa madaxa kaga xidhan oo psychological trauma ayay ka qaadeen, they are extra-cautious to freaking limits.

Generation Y (those born at late 70s and beyond) are the country's last hope....Ina kiciya odayaasha aynu eryanee.