Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Somali language is very poor

Raamsade   

oba hiloowlow;908591 wrote:
Wadani,man labo walaalo oo is dilay i interpreted as two twins killed eachother or fought eachoter when they found out that they were going to be blind i was wtf i had to read it 3-4 times to understand it was about euthanasia.

Blessed so what is the somali word for suicide ama euthanasia

Words come into existence because there is use for them. You can't expect a society to have words for concepts, practices and objects they never had use for. Suicide in Somali is "is-dil." But it wasn't prevalent.

The word euthanasia is a medical/technical term coined in the early 20th century industrail Europe. Euthanasia was never an issue for agrarian society like Somalis, so why would there be a Somali counterpart. But we did have close-enough word to Euthanasia called Qumayo-tuur... that is a tradition where the ugliest and barren Xaliimos were thrown off cliffs leaving behind only the comely and fertile.

Showqi   

Oba sxb iminka ayey ku haboon tahay in aad erey cusub oo Soomaali ah inoo sameyso. since Raamsade said that we dont have a Somali word for euthanasia. Oba go for it euthanasia maxaad ku macneyn lahayd?

Wadani   

Raamsade;908691 wrote:
Words come into existence because there is use for them. You can't expect a society to have words for concepts, practices and objects they never had use for. Suicide in Somali is "is-dil." But it wasn't prevalent.

The word euthanasia is a medical/technical term coined in the early 20th century industrail Europe. Euthanasia was never an issue for agrarian society like Somalis, so why would there be a Somali counterpart. But we did have close-enough word to Euthanasia called Qumayo-tuur... that is a tradition where the ugliest and barren Xaliimos were thrown off cliffs leaving behind only the comely and fertile.

I'm facinated by this practise of qumayo-tuur. Can u please elaborate on it? How did they select the victims? What regions of Somalia was this practised? Did they bury them once they were thrown off the cliff or were they left to rot and be eaten by scavengers?

Raamsade   

Wadani, you need to ask the dinasours among us (you know who you are!) I'm too young to know anything about that tradition. But I don't mind resuscitating that practice I can think a number SOLers who I like to throw off cliffs.

Wadani   

lol will do. But hey, y'd u describe Somali society as agrarian when it's for the most part nomadic? There are significant sections of the Somali society who practise farming, but I do believe that they are outnumbered by the geeljire's.

Raamsade   

Agrarian encompasses nomadism too. Agrarian = based on agriculture or eking out a living from the land. Nomadism is one form of agriculture. Anyways, geeljire is superior to everyone else I don't care what others say.

Afkeen waa hodan, waana dhameystiranyahay si buuxdaba wali. Qof hadduu asaga Afsoomaaligiisa garashadiisa yartahay in uu afka eedeeyo ma'aha.

Mataano dhagoolayaal ah oo loo fasaxay inay isdilaan kadib markii ay... Aniga islamarkiiba waa u fahmay inay isdilaan inay rabaan maadaama meesha ku jirto 'loo fasaxay.' Laba iska hor imaaneyso oo isdilaayo ma dowlad ayaa u fasixi karto.

Wadani;908588 wrote:
How is it poor? What deficiences have u spotted in the article that are a result of limitatons within the language and not the writer?

+5

Mustafe   

I think the thread starter was born on top of a tree in order to have started a lame thread like this. Have you not heard of Salaan Carrabey and Hadraawi waryaa?