Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Farta Af Soomaaliga - Cusmaaniya

Haatu   

Abwaan, just the fact that it was ours makes it more deserving than the Latin.

As for you lot claiming it makes it easier to learn english, what about the jews, the indians, the Arabs, the Thai etc??? Do they have great difficulty learning english?

Khadafi   

Haatu that cismaaniya script does look like it got influences from amharic/tigrigna gez scriptues, the ba bi bu letters look like that.

No faaido at all. Its not even a "ancient somali script". For all i know it was created in the 1900.

A more ancient somali scripit would be Sheekh Yuusuf kowneyn (rax) script with the arabic letters created by him in 1900 century. Though it never gained popularity as was always used by the elitist wadaads of somalia of that age it is nevertheless historic.

I personally think that the latin was the best choice. Now days a somali author can easily write a book by publishing it easily because of the latin scriptures. It wouldn't be easy for a Somali to publish his books with those only Somali used letters of cismaaniya script.

Nevertheless Cismaan Keenadiid alle ha u naxariisto efforts should be appreciated. A gifted person as he was understood the difficulties somalis had when they didnt have their own script, So he made his own script.

Haatu   

Khadifa, rejecting a script just because some letters look similar to that of another script is childish. Do we suffer from such inferiority complex that we reject anything that remotely resembles the Xabasha? Also, I never called it an 'ancient script'. I said it was invented in the early 20th century. Also, to reject it just because we lack the printing materials is also not a valid excuse. Sure, it will cause a little bit of inconvenience at first, but many countries on Earth have experienced this problem and have overcome it. Are we not capable of building/inventing our own machines that can print Cusmaniya? Take for example the Khmer of Cambodia. They went through civil war and genocide and were left utterly underdeveloped but that didn't stop them using the Khmer script for their language. They weren't intimidated by the lack of materials so why should we. I'm sure there are plenty of manufactures in China who will happen make such a machine if an order comes in. All that's needed are brave businessmen to take the plunge.

Latin was the best choice then but it really doesn't make a difference today. Government education is non-existent and most of the state schools aren't functioning I believe (although I could be wrong about this). Also, the Somali education curriculum is long dead and outdated. Introducing the Cusmaniya script is fairly easy today if there's the willpower to achieve it.

Sign in to follow this