Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Acclaimed/Famous Somalis in your Community

The civil war did not discriminate between the acclaimed (for good or bad) Somalis with us 'ordinary' folk in scattering us across the globe. Lets identify where the makers of Somali history (artists, athletes, politicians, ect.) and their families have ended up and to which Diaspora communities they belong. Lets see which famous Somali lives in your area, which can be used for academic, social, or simply trivia purposes.

Please add on to the list both in people and regions

Virginia

Mohamed Ali Samantar (Former Somali PM/Warlord)

Abdi Bile's family is in Virginia. I think the man himself is a nomad.

Toronto

Xasaan Adan Samataar (musician)

Texas

Asli Hassan Abade (First Somali female Pilot)

Virginia

Mohamed Ali Samantar (Former Somali PM/Warlord)

Abdi Bile's family is in Virginia. I think the man himself is a nomad.

Toronto

Xasaan Adan Samataar (musician)

Texas

Asli Hassan Abade (First Somali female Pilot)

Buffalo

Farmaajo (Former PM)

Minnesota

Ohio

Jacpher   

oba hiloowlow;907264 wrote:
the only famous somali in my city is indhacaddes daughter
:D
:D nacala tulatik

Waryaa dee cadaaladda ha ka tagin. She's not responsible for the crimes of her warlord father.

On the topic, there are couple of them here but the only former Somali leader I enjoyed his presence is the former Prime Minister Cabdirizaaq Xaaji Xuseen. I run to him often at the masjid. He's the most humble leader I've ever seen. Odaga cimrigiisa Alle ha u barakeeyo.

Jacpher;907298 wrote:
On the topic, there are couple of them here but the only former Somali leader I enjoyed his presence is the former Prime Minister Cabdirizaaq Xaaji Xuseen. I run to him often at the masjid. He's the most humble leader I've ever seen. Odaga cimrigiisa Alle ha u barakeeyo.

Where is here?

Abwaan   

oba hiloowlow;907264 wrote:
the only famous somali in my city is indhacaddes daughter
:D
:D nacala tulatik

:D Saaxiibtaa maxaa u caynee?:D

It would have been nice to live the same are as individuals like Abdi Bile, Abdirazak H. Hussien. I don't know famous people that live near my area.

Malika   

I dont know any 'famous somalis' but am in aware of the sprung of newly qualified doctors,nurses, lawyers, teachers and other professionals in my area, despite, the recent news ..

Here is to the young champions!!

Cawaale   

Interesting thread. I have many famous Somalis in my city. We had politicians like Ina Cumar Jees, Ali Mahdi, AbdiKasimi's(He is till around thou), the Buubaa's and Adam Ade's sons. Also there are/was entertainer's families such as Salaad Darbi's daughter, Xudeydi's sweet heart, Omar Shooli, Ina Dalmar(artist), Dalha(an artist and a parliamentarian who also used to academic professor).

Also Xasan Xundubey of BBC lived here and Abukar Boston(BBC and Xidigtii October). Sheikh Mohamed Idris's family too. The list is long because somehow Egypt was one of the first escape destinations during the civil war.