Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

You're going to Somalia for the first time as an adult...

Reeyo   

Imagine you're going to Somalia for the first time or as an adult.

What would you most like to see?

I grew up with reewayado and classical qaarami instrumental songs. Watch my parents dance around the house heeso qaaday. And was I disappointed when I first went to Somalia/Land and saw NO MUSIC anywhere.

So i got into my head that I'd actually see live rewayado and hear musicians. (I was 17)

No-one knew anyone that played ud, and sadly no Omar Dhules :(. Disappointed.

So what would you like to see and do?

Wadani   

Reeyo a lot of it has to do with the cultural transformation that has occured in Somalia in the last 2 decades. Axmad Ismaaciil Samatar was lamenting about the very same thing in a town hall meeting he was at last month. He said he was in Mogadishu for an extended period of time and did not witness a single song, gabay or buraanbur being performed anywhere in the city. He practically said the Somali culture was on it's death bed.

Reeyo   

Ducaysane: Waxan ahaya waxan ma ku kurdimiyaso- computer magac ban haya. :)

Al- I am sentimental, lakin think. Your home country for the first time!, you must of had some expectations? You know in Hargeisa I've been to many aroos and not one live music or dancing. In fact the place I found something close to live music was Burco and they mixed it up with alot of calacal English tunes like Maria Carey and Spice girls lol

Apophis: Yeh the dress sense is bad, but anything else beside perving on women? lol

Wadani: Where was that? I think it's been buried and left to rest long time ago sxb. There is no culture after the brutality of Arabism and now the desperate need to copy reer qurbah and TV. It's sad, even in schools they don't teach Somali poetry anymore preferring English and Arabic.

In the west I think our parents's romanticism of a great free poetic Somalia is non-existence and they lied lol.

Reeyo   

Jacpher: LOL You've clearly not been back home them. Your duaa would very different.

Oba: Why not, go for it.

Jacpher   

^With all that's wrong with Somalis back home, giving heaven to warlordsm, clan institutions, drug, murder and no peace/stability, your major concern is the country has no live club dancing???

Yes, I have heard lots of good things and need lots other improvement but I highly doubt Somalis back home miss live dj club dancing in the wee hours of the night. Did you realize a lot more people get gunned down after fajr prayers.

Reeyo   

Naxar You wont be disappointed then. The ocean and the sea are un-corrupted, as beautiful and majestic as God created them. Camels with shimmering coats and elegant long necks roam the landscape.

Reeyo   

Jacpher;906827 wrote:
^With all that's wrong with Somalis back home, giving heaven to warlordsm, clan institutions, drug, murder and no peace/stability, your major concern is the country has no live club dancing???

Yes, I have heard lots of good things and need lots other improvement but I highly doubt Somalis back home miss live dj club dancing in the wee hours of the night. Did you realize a lot more people get gunned down after fajr prayers.

You are a sour one. I was not talking about clubs, just music and plays my friend. The way my parents described it. That was all, just a little wishing for some of the things my parents experienced.

Don't get all heavy on me and start listing all the killings and what-not.

Jacpher   

^What's with the name calling gabar? I thought we're here to exchange ideas?

I just pointed out people back home have other priorities. To tackle peace and stability, problems with drugs, rape, murder, stolen properties, just to name a few. Those are on their top list. And yes, there's music played in the country, in the coffee shops, restaurants, TV sets, cars. I agree with you Somali culture needs some reform but I don't know if live music clubing is the direction we need to go.