Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

Intolerant of tolerance.

Reeyo   

A recent occurrence has made me take a closer look at this 'beautiful' and 'praiseworthy' word: 'Tolerance'. And I've come to the conclusion that it is an act of cowardice and it is a vice. An evil vice that turns our morals into ash and makes us weak. In order to grant another his or her individual autonomy and grant them their 'right' to lifestyle and choice we must put aside our own beliefs of what is right and wrong. What makes this even worst is you are painted as 'judgmental' and 'narrow-minded' when you object and demand your right to not tolerate something that is clearly wrong! Or you fall into the paradox of tolerating the intolerable!

So inorder to be 'open-minded' and 'liberal' place any real virtues and beliefs you may have and follow the crowd and baa as a choir.

I know I am ranting folks and I know we live in testing times and we standby as our basic human capacity to follow our own conscious decision is stripped away. However it's a different matter when this 'detached indifference' approach we take is towards 'others' and when suddenly its family and friends.

Maybe I am wrong.

Wadani   

What has prompted this rant? Have u had a relative or friend come out the closet? Leave the diin? Marry a gaal?

Reeyo   

I truly appreciate your consideration Al. (Complete sarcasm intended) :)

Wadani: Will me answering you justify anything?

Reeyo   

Apophis;905590 wrote:
It all comes down to this: do you have the right to force your believes on others? If yes, then they have the right to do it back to you.

I knew some genius would say this. Let's just say I wouldn't want to force my beliefs on others and vise-vice however I darn-right will not passively accept something I believe is wrong and I will not avoid confrontation in letting them know they are wrong. What I don't like and will not support is this idea of accept it. No!

Wadani   

Reeyo;905589 wrote:

Wadani: Will me answering you justify anything?

I actually agree with u, so need to justify anything to me. I was just curious, and since this a venue where anonymous nomads share thier experiences, I saw no harm in u telling us what prompted this.

Reeyo   

Wadani: I would rather not walal, simply because I will get a little aggressive and negative if I attempt to describe it. However my biggest issue is how others have responded to my stance and this branding of 'intolerant' and 'judgmental' on my person. Why must I be passive with my beliefs so as not to 'judge' another.

Walle this whole 'relativism' notion of impartiality and meekly accepting wrong ideas and lifestyle simple to appease another is sickening. It is making the statement 'there is no truth' stronger.

Wadani   

Fair enough walaal. I know that some thing are difficult to share even in an anonymous venue. This postmodernist nonsense of relativity and the absence of right/wrong and absolute truth has eroded the moral fabric of the West. Y do u think the favourite quote of young ppl is 'only God can judge me'. We have been stripped of our moral agency, and it can be utterly suffocating at times.

Reeyo   

Wadani;905626 wrote:
Fair enough walaal. I know that some thing are difficult to share even in an anonymous venue. This postmodernist nonsense of relativity and the absence of right/wrong and absolute truth has eroded the moral fabric of the West. Y do u think the favourite quote of young ppl is 'only God can judge me'. We have been stripped of our moral agency, and it can be utterly suffocating at times.

It is not only suffocating its distorting our ability know right from wrong.

Apophis: I remember that but do you also remember the Christian Orphanage that was threatened with closure and funding cuts because they believed that homosexual couples couldn't adopt? How far can we go with this contradictory applying of laws and public opinion on others simple because they have their own different value and belief system?

I don't think your race cards applies here mate.

Jacpher   

The world is never black and white. There's nothing as absolute 100% tolerance or intolerance. Laws are made to be broken or bent by the powerful. The so-called European liberals weren't so liberal when it comes to certain issues. The hardcore religious aren't as conservative as they claim to be. Wars have been waged to force other believes onto people. Liberty is not so much liberty, sweet or fair at times. Where does one draw a line? Depends.