Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Somalis take everything from us, white people

Reeyo   

'Are they....Somalis or...?'....

What is wrong with the reporter?

I don't know how an a white immigrant can stand there and point the finger at other immigrants for coming to Australia and finishing the 'water'? Alla daadhkan.

Mustafe   

Horta why do all Somalis speak English exactly the same? And why do they pretend to be journalists in languages they can not speak properly? Its utterly annoying. Bal muu af somali iskaga hadlo oo ciyaalka xaafadda mid ku yidhaahdo war ii turjum? And the lady is full of crap, I don't think the said minstry discriminates against any one based on race when it comes to housing. Waa first come first serve. Too bad If the Somalis are better at calculating than whites when it comes to getting the new houses lol.

Aaliyyah   

Mustafe;902085 wrote:
Horta why do all Somalis speak English exactly the same? And why do they pretend to be journalists in languages they can not speak properly? Its utterly annoying. Bal muu af somali iskaga hadlo oo ciyaalka xaafadda mid ku yidhaahdo war ii turjum? And the lady is full of crap, I don't think the said minstry discriminates against any one based on race when it comes to housing. Waa first come first serve. Too bad If the Somalis are better at calculating than whites when it comes to getting the new houses lol.

Just because he is speaking English, does that mean he is pretending to be an English journalist?..war bal eega fuuduushan LOL..and why does he had to call someone else to speak on his behalf when he did a fine job interviewing this woman.

As Reeyo said above some somalis have an accent. And that is nothing to be ashamed of. Dadka qaar af ingriisi wax wayn mooda. Qofkasta mar bu luqad bartaa hadey noqoto af ingriisi iyo afkaleba.

Aaliyyah   

Apophis;902082 wrote:
At least she gave credit to the original landowners. And she doesn't sound maliciously racist, just ignorant.

I wasn't offended at all. I was amused the whole time I was listening to her. She sounds left out...waxay rabta in ay soomaalidu salamaan oo la hadlaan. LOL

Aaliyyah   

uchi;902081 wrote:
lol how did that get online? I actually filmed that lmao. Bloody SBS channel!.

LOL you filmed this? does that mean you were the interviewer? or you simply filmed it.

Aaliyyah   

^ yeah there is some truth to that. But, it is not just specific to Somalis. Many immigrant communities keep to themselves. I am sure it has to do with both language barrier and cultural barrier. Maxay nimanka maqaahiyada fahdiya u sheegi lahayeen habar cad lol fadhi ku dirirkooda dhinac miyeey kasoo fadhisan laheed lol...at least let them say hello though. That should suffice :)

At the heart of any exaggeration or stereotype is a grain of truth. The general public perception in the west of the Somali community being filled with freeloaders and criminals is not without merit.

Apophis;902193 wrote:
^ that maybe true but it would only be significant if the percentage undertaking such activities are more than the general population and also the comparable immigrant population. Analysed from that perspective, I believe we are no more "good" or "bad" than our peers.

Aaliyyaah: you have a point (btw, your name has too many letters).
:D

I disagree. If you compare Somali-Canadians with Chinese/Korean/Iranian/Lebanese-Canadians it become clear that Somalis are not on par with the average immigrant. There's also the visibility issue, if one drives through a run down neighbourhood in Toronto, the most identifiable group will almost always be Somalis (black + Muslim attire), making us the easiest group to pick on. The constant stream of Somali homicides on the news makes matters worse.

Apophis;902200 wrote:
I would compare Somalis with other Africans rather than Middle Eastern and Asians.

Even then, the Eritrean and Rwandan communities here are generally well off. No matter how low you set the bar, we seem to be under-achievers. According to the Toronto District School Board, people who speak Somali and Portugese had the lowest graduation rates. If you consider the fact that Portugese boys typically have a job lined up in the construction business, where does that leave us?

Aaliyyah   

Apophis;902193 wrote:

Aaliyyaah: you have a point (btw, your name has too many letters).
:D

It only has one extra "y". Lol..and that was because Sol wouldnt allow me to spell it right.