Sign in to follow this  
Apophis

High holidays

Garnaqsi   

Jacpher;902030 wrote:
This script is beyond confusion. He is obsessed with religion and why religion exists and what religious people practice. Don't people like him are so miserable that they find a little comfort in crying discrimination at the faithful holidays. Some script like him was crying on TV recently why the word God is on the dollar bill, why local school has a prayer text written on one of the walls of the school.

It must suck to be an atheist this time of the year.

Honestly, no one came off bitterer in this thread than you did. Perhaps you need a hug?

Since your not tied to any religion, why not celebrate them all. Aside from morning prayers or mass in the mornings, these holidays have very little religious intent behind. Take Christmas or Easter for example, started as pagen tradition but basically consist of parties and gift exchanging. Have egg nog at Christmas, try some xalwad @ Eid, have some chocolate at Easter, throw some color at people in dewali...

Khadafi   

Apophis;901997 wrote:
I'm a man with no rituals, even secular ones (I don't even know if secular rituals exist). I get the feeling that humans need special holidays; every society has it's sacred days and they seem to be very important. For historical reasons, most of these holidays have been tied to religion, Eid for Muslims, Christmas for Christians and Diwali for Hindus etc

People seem to need and enjoy these holidays which is something I've never quite understood. When I was younger I used to partake in Eid (wasn't really enjoyable) but this is no longer an option so I'm left wondering, not being quite sure, if I'm missing out on a humanistic need for a "holy" day. I guess if I was alive in the 70s I would, maybe, have 21st of October as a high holiday but what to do now?

What do fellow faithless and faithfull think of this? To the former group, what do you celebrate (outside of personal events)?

Why complicate things? Just go with the flow and celebrate those days despite their religious background of those holidays, Think about it, Ciida, make yourself inited to somebody and eat nice food, maxaa ka maqan markaas? But dont spoil the dinner by raising doubtfull un-somali questions about religion :cool:

Apophis   

Naxar Nugaaleed;902219 wrote:
Since your not tied to any religion, why not celebrate them all. Aside from morning prayers or mass in the mornings, these holidays have very little religious intent behind. Take Christmas or Easter for example, started as pagen tradition but basically consist of parties and gift exchanging. Have egg nog at Christmas, try some xalwad @ Eid, have some chocolate at Easter, throw some color at people in dewali...

It would be relatively hollow celebration but I guess I could celebrate Eid but not Christmas; I don't want to turn into a Coconut. The rest sounds kinda fun.

Wise words Khadafi; I'll take them on board and no raising of un-Somali questions :D

N.O.R.F   

Apophis;902225 wrote:
It would be relatively hollow celebration but I guess I could celebrate Eid but not Christmas; I don't want to turn into a
Coconut

You already have :P

Work during the festivals and holiday the rest of the time. Go on, be a rebel :)

Apophis   

Your comment is meant to slander my character but instead of my usual curt reply I choose to follow Jesus's(Issa) message:

...."whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" - Matthew 5:38–5:42 KJV

So slander me again buddy :D

Mustafe   

Naxar Nugaaleed;902221 wrote:
Fun thing to do also, when someone wishs a happy Christmas, tell Eid Mubarak Or vice versa lol

Anigu Happy Christmas iyo Eid mubarak labadaba waan ka soo horjeedaa. 5000 text messages bay kuu soo dirayaan markaasaa inbox kuba kaa buuxsamayaa. And then you spend half an hour the next day deleting them all lol.