Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The New Macallin Dugsi in Somalia

A_Khadar   

Lol@Che, "he was touchy".. That is sad indeed if he done some wrong with the little kids..

Dugsi wasn't fun at all though I wasn't get beaten that manytimes but I still recall getting sticks to beat us from as far as Goofafka Daynile. Darn it that was hard and long days of no food and little water.

Tuujiye   

loooool@ Abtigiis... lool Macalin raanboo dugsigiisa miyaa kan?

Nuune waqtigaan haduu dugsi dhigan lahaa, baas ayaa lagu furi lahaa damiin nimadiisa daraadeed.. damiin kabiir laga dhigay asagaa igu horeeye.. I think macalinka adeerkiis uu ahaan jiray...

that pic is classic walaahi...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

raula   

^^lol@Rambo. ma Nai baad ka dhacde beryahaan :D

lol@ Apo. Mine was fresh of the boat from Somalia & we went to evening & weekend dugsi. He was learning Swa & we were figuring out af-somali, it was an adventure. One thing though..he used to say, always when laughing..don't laugh out loud that your teeth can be seen (very minamalist). This kid (clown of the city) was asked wat RAQABATUN (neck) meant in somali..& he said "QORAHA/QODHAHA)...loool...needless to say we saw Macalin's silver back tooth that day :D All in all though, what i learned those 4 years of schooling only were profound & has sustained me ever since ( I remember some things like it was yesterday)-All aspects of learning the religion (whether it was af-carabi, Tawxiid, Fiqi, etc) & translations of quran etc. Macalin Xasan-May Allah grant you Janna (amin). Macalin was mellow guy but his wife (haweeya) was another story (witch).

Rahima   

I hated dugsi- mind you I generally did well but it was the environment that I detested. Seeing other students getting beaten would upset me and even though it was in Australia the dugsi teachers back then didn't seem to care that it was a crime.

When it happened to me though, that was a different matter. I was 10 and we were doing subcis- I made a mistake (the first one) and the teacher hit me on the thigh with the metal end of a belt. After a few minutes I started to feel some stinging. Without excusing myself I got up to go to the bathroom and then when I saw the blood that was it. All I remember was that I walked over to the teacher (a girl in her mid twenties) and started belting the living daylights out of her. She was on the small side and I was a very tall 10 year old so it was a fair fight. When the other adults saw they dragged me off her and of course I got a good whooping from hooyo- but boy was I chuffed, she never hit me again.

Many years later when I was in my late teens she asked for my forgiveness- I forgave her.

I see her regularly now and we get along very well.

Abwaan   

Abtigiis;900837 wrote:
Abwaan, tareeysadu waa marka looxa laga soo bixi waayo. Marka wa shamsu la gaadho waa hal saban ah ama F-1 laga shanqadhinaya.

By the way, the place is Dhuusamareb and the teacher is guarding against Che's friends the Alshabaab.

lol Che mar hore ayuu hubka dhigay oo nimankaan ma raacsana.

The Somali dugsis are nothing but child abuse institutions. Torture centers that churn out permanently traumatized children who become deranged adults once they grow up. Also lets not forget, they were and remain very verdant recruiting grounds for religious deviants like Al Shabab, Ehlu Sunna & others.

Blessed   

Rahima,

You go girl1 I didn't have you down as a fighter. lol. My last dugsi did the same, the same people run a dugsi that is under close observation because parents have finally woken up to and complained about their children getting beats.

I don't like Somaali dugsi, beatings aside most of them in my opinion (from experience) don't instil love of Allah and the deen and will never send my child to one. I did go to this dugsi run by the Somali community organisation, our teachers were not wadaads but your average guys who knew Quran.. on Eid, we used to have riwayad type parties and some of our teachers would be singing love songs and playing the guitar lol

Malika   

Dugsi was fun only when there was 'maulid' in some rich Indian/Arab/Somali household - we got to dress, sing qaswiida and eat, eat and eat. The only bit I didnt like was the macaaliim's wife - she was called Ayeeyo [ A somali woman that run the madrasaa, whom was married to the Yemeni sheikh]..She used to sneak up on us with the longest stick - whooped at us randomly, we responded with random recitation - most of the time, was whatever the person next to you was shouting..lol

I underestimated how much I learned at that dugsi - to this day, whatever knowledge I have the root was in those small rooms. Whenever I am in Dar es salaam, I visit my macaalims. Ayeeyo passed away few years back- Illahi janadaa firdows kaa warabiyoo..After all, she looked out for us[somali kids]

corruption of girls was such a norm - sheikh kasta gabadh yar uu awoowe unoqoon kara ayuu qabee.

Tuujiye;901195 wrote:
loooool@ Abtigiis... lool Macalin raanboo dugsigiisa miyaa kan?

Nuune waqtigaan haduu dugsi dhigan lahaa, baas ayaa lagu furi lahaa damiin nimadiisa daraadeed.. damiin kabiir laga dhigay asagaa igu horeeye.. I think macalinka adeerkiis uu ahaan jiray...

that pic is classic walaahi...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

HaHaHa.

Reeyo   

Dugsi was a nightmare for most Somali kids. I hated all my female maclins and still hate them today when I see them around. I think they were taught with the stick and they believed it was the only method. But worst then the stick was the constant humiliation and the verbal abuse. I remember once ragging the jilbab of my Qur'an teacher after she mention some really bad family issues and made me feel shit in front of all them mean semi-aggressive kids.

At the age of 12 I walked out and never returned.

raula   

Malika lol@the macalin's wife. Ma aragte..something about them women :D n'ways all good still. Yeah we loved Maulid days..they were grande w/food & sweets. I am not sure if other places did it but we had something called "SHAADHALI (swahili or in soomali SHAADALI)-For my sides it was always on THURSDAY EVENING/NIGHT. A family will bring to the masjid bread sandwiches w/tea while we do some SUBAC (only ciyaal dugsi after maghrib prayers before ishaa (Cishaa). this tradition stuck w/me hence my fav day of the week being THURSDAY till today. No matter what ,THURSDAY is what i look forward to of all days of the week. OH what memories (nostalgic indeed).