Sign in to follow this  
Ambassador

The bookshelf thread.

chubacka   

Bel Canto Ann Patchett

The Looming Tower al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 Lawrence Wright

Loved this amazingly well written book about the rise of Al Qaeda and the lead up to 9/11.

Really did not like We need to talk about Kevin. Very long and not an easy read.

Reeyo   

guerilla;900551 wrote:

I picked up the Wheel Of Time two weeks ago, and I'm already on the 5th book. If anyone likes fantasy this is one of the best, by Robert Jordan

I've recently started this, read the Eye of the world and picking up the Great Hunt. I haven't read a fantasy for so long I actually feel like a teen reading Harry Potter for the first although the comparison is so wrong however lol. I've heard so much about the religious mythology/philosophical battles of Christian eschatology, Hinduism and Budhism's Nevada/ wheel of creation.

Lakin 13 books with more to come! One long story. :D

I am current reading the Life of Pi for the obvious reason. Must read the book before the movie.

Isra   

Reading Now: Twelve Tribes of Hattie - Ayana Mathis

Favourite Books

- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

- No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

- The Road by Cormac McCarthy

- Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison (LOVE IT)

and many more...but those come to mind quickly

Keep them coming folks. So far I've managed to get my hands on "Darkness at noon" suggested by Raamsade. I also have 100 years of solitude but I have not had the time for it yet. Thanks and keep them coming.

guerilla   

Reeyo;900574 wrote:
I've recently started this, read the Eye of the world and picking up the Great Hunt. I haven't read a fantasy for so long I actually feel like a teen reading Harry Potter for the first although the comparison is so wrong however lol. I've heard so much about the religious mythology/philosophical battles of Christian eschatology, Hinduism and Budhism's Nevada/ wheel of creation.

Lakin 13 books with more to come! One long story.
:D

I am current reading the Life of Pi for the obvious reason. Must read the book before the movie.

Forget Life of Pi!

Robert Jordan has come close to replacing Miguel de Cervantes as my favourite story teller, I admit the Eye of the World took quite a while to pick up but you won't want to put down The Great Hunt. Of course there'll be people likening the stories to myths (religion included) and various philosophies, but the stories are more than that, it's about the characters, sword fights, harrowing adventures and wolves! :D

I feel like I've discovered fantasy for the first time, there are so many lacking fantasy books out there, I can't believe I never heard of Robert Jordan till I stumbled on the Eye of the World in my local library..the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills

Read young Reeyo and may the light be with you!