Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Women remove hijabs or make names sound more English to beat discrimination..

Blessed   

This has been happening for eons, but glad there's public debate about it here. Anyone here ever felt the pressure to tweak their name, remove hijab to get jobs or had it pointed out at an interview?

• Some employers' attitudes worsened when they realised women with European-sounding names were black.

• Some Muslim women were removing their hijab to increase their chance of getting work.

• Black and Asian women complained of being asked during job interviews about their plans for marriage and having children.

• Fewer Pakistani and Bangladeshi women were taking up their children's free nursery places than white women.

The report found ethnic minority women "deselecting themselves" from the jobs market and deciding not to apply because of the extra barriers they faced.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/07/ethnic-minority-women-jobs-crisis?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Reeyo   

I am glade its being talked about as well. I've always wore my hijab but I have had comments. I've always given my colleagues the opportunity to ask me questions about my hijab and my prayer. Once I explained it it became normal for them.

I have a really good Nigerian friend who changed his name to get employed because he honestly felt because of his ethic name he wasn't getting interviews. In the end he started his own business.

Blessed   

Hello Reeyo,

I'm glad that you can have an open dialogue with colleagues about the deen. I've never had issues with colleagues or ever felt the need to explain myself, to be honest but a few potential bosses in the past have flagged up the hijab as an issue which always left me amused, it never got me down as I wouldn't like to work with ******, being a slave to a bloomin contract is already an unwelcome reality. Which brings me to your friend, kudos to him. He did what many of us dream about..

Reeyo   

Blessed walal, ignorance breeds hate really quickly where I live. I've had issues in the past where I was accused of being anti-social because I wouldn't go out on 'work nights out' and never did the office chatter and gossiping, and I was actually complained about to my manager.

After that I've learnt from earlier on to be open and initiate conversations on me if they don't feel comfortable just to get it out there 'I am Muslim and I act a certain way because of my faith' Allahmduillah it just worked out.

This is nothing new. European immigrants to North America have always anglicized their names and the more recent Asian immigrants are doing the same. It's a lot harder to change your skin colour or ethnic background though. Is it really that important of a factor in Britain?

Blessed   

Reeyo,

Such an odd behaviour from your colleagues, some places can be a bit OTT with team spirit malarkey….

Maarodi,

Seen that before, I do like Levits ideas but off course that are always exceptions... and there are many good examples of great Khans and Ahmeds, even in an unequal society.

Blackflash, not sure what you're asking?? Names or rather ethnicity is obviously a factor which needs to be addressed as the report has shown. There are strict policies in the public sector where employers are expected to promote diversity but the private sector is often unregulated.

*Blessed;899769 wrote:

Blackflash, not sure what you're asking?? Names or rather ethnicity is obviously a factor which needs to be addressed as the report has shown. There are strict policies in the public sector where employers are expected to promote diversity but the private sector is often unregulated.

I phrased it poorly, what I should have asked is "does the hijab really play a role in employment/career opportunities?" I've worked in a couple of corporate offices and I've noticed that even some of the division/team leaders wore hijabs, so I was wondering if this phenomena was specific to Britain.

Reeyo   

Blackflesh-We have a word for it 'institutionalized racism'. Hence large number of ethic minorities are unemployed. Its even legal in countries like France. (Hijab wearing women can be refused worked on that basis alone)

israa   

Haven't gone as far as removing my hijab, but I definitely act and somewhat dress western to not seem too "foreign":rolleyes: I'd feel very self-conscious otherwise.