Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Traditional Dance

STOIC   

Today I was listening to a radio program done by Hadhwanagnews about the history of Somali traditional songs/dance. The program was spearheaded by the one and only knowledgeable Somali traditional folklore unofficial historian Brother Yusuf Shaciir from Hargeisa. I had the privileged of listening to this young man several of his youtube clips.He is a walking Somali dictionary! I was amused at how he was able to tell the origin of some famous Somali traditional songs. We the Somali-sijui have also an incredible traditional dance we call ciyaar-Somali.This dance has an arresting and immediate beauty.If you had the privileged of invited in one of Somali-sijui wedding you must have witnessed this unique dance style.The dance normally have deeply rhythmical feel to it and you could see the dancers feeling it earnestly!The drum and the voice of the women normally regulate the dance.I think we have something unique to contribute here...Watch the beginignof this clip

Abwaan   

I like the Hariimaadee......Sida goodir xarig galay u goohay, golaheenna sharafta leh u goohay.....STOIC...waan soo dhaweyneynaa this union in Isiolo. Waxaan u fahmey in labada beelood maanta kala guursadeen marka waa xamaasadeysan yihiin.:D

Malika   

^The original Somalis live in Isiolo - for your information. They are so original, one think time had stood still for them. This dance has remained in the sijui circles ...love the dance.