Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Grieving for Somali Olympian Samia Omar

The first time I met Somalia Olympian Samia Yusuf Omar was two years ago in Hargeisa, Somaliland, where she had agreed to be interviewed. I remember she stepped off the plane from Mogadishu in a new royal-blue dress and headscarf, track trousers tucked underneath.

In April, a boat carrying Omar from Libya to Italy ran out of petrol and the Italian navy ship which came to rescue passengers threw ropes over the side. Omar tried to grab the rope, missed, fell into the water and drowned. News about her death emerged during the London Olympics and was later picked up by Italian newspapers. She made the trip to Italy to search for a coach.

The first week I spent with Omar, back in 2010, she was noticeably reserved, yet stubborn. She ran the 200 meters race at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and was still shy when speaking to reporters. She would respond to my constant inquiries into how she was doing with a simple, “fine”. And then, frustratingly, refuse to answer too many personal questions about herself.

Not that she was ever a fan of speaking to the media. The BBC had called her in 2008 soon after she arrived in Beijing for the Olympics, in hopes that she would share her experience with them. But Omar wasn’t interested in being interviewed, so she pretended she couldn’t hear the journalist and hung up.

READ ON . . . . .

JB,

i understand this Teresa Krug used her coverage of 2010 SL presidential elections as a launch-pad before hitting the jackpot. she left SL apparently before i arrived but she seems like the folks from Abarso Tech - with their civilising paternalism, ''we know you better than yourselves'' white-apologist nonsense which her story seemingly conveys. was her friendship with the somali athlete more valuable than her other friendships? and would Samia consider Tesera a friend or just another prying pseudo-journalist in a post-conflict areas.

why exploit the suffering, the personal tragedy and untimely death of someone to further elevate yourself . i don't like when white people exploit these complex situations for their own end.

Female-Starving-Sudanese-Toddler-and-Vul

teresa is the same as the photojournalist who inhumanly stood by as the vulture stalked the child to further his career!

Cawaale   

AUN Samia iyo Soomaalida tiraha badan ee badaha, saxaraha ku dhintay. And those who died of hunger too.

Alpha, Sxb stop generalising people. Some journalists are genuine messengers. And in the case of the photo you posted I want you to know that the photographer was not only after fame. Kevin(an African journalist) who won the Pulitzer prize for the above disturbing photograph of a Sudanese child in the year of 1994 has committed suicide in the same year!

Alpha, don't try to extract fame in every situation ......

I personally know both Teressa and Samia ........... Allah ha u naxariisto Samia, she was the most dedicated person I've ever met. If not the time and the situation in Somalia, she would be a world icon by today.

Abwaan   

Ilaah ha u naxariisto... I hope in garoomada Soomaaliya mid ka mid ah loogu magacdaro, si jiilasha dambe ay u ogaadaan baalka ay Samia ka gashay taariikhda Soomaaliya.

Jacaylbaro;896112 wrote:
Alpha, don't try to extract fame in every situation ......

what? what are you talking about JB?

did you have problems comprehending what i wrote?