Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Dating/marrying a non-Somali

It is not like Odaysomali to start such topics but:

To the male but also female members, would you consider a non-Somali person for dating/marriage? Could you see yourself with a non-Somali spouse?

If yes why? If not, why not?

Wadani   

This topic has been beaten to death on this site already. But it's such a charged and polarized topic that you'll receive tons of very opinionated replies nontheless. I'll start by saying i'd never consider a non-somali for marriage. I need the smell of uunsi, and the mouth watering scent of bariis and hilib adhi when I come home from work. I don't wanna come home to a febreezed apartment with a hamburger helper dinner plate on the table lool.

My initial answer is no and in the past realistically I would not have seen any prospect of doing such a thing. But life is unpredictable and fluid and because of a new development ive got a choice to make.

But it does sound very bigotted to tell someone that they are not the right race.

I say Somalis for Somalis.

Wadani   

Oh yeah, and that too, I almost forgot. But then again, our kids will always be thorougbred Somalis since the lineage is inherited through the dad.

Narniah   

Apophis;893839 wrote:
For me it's a no because I wish to preserve my Somali lineage.

That's a beautiful response!

But what makes you think any sane Somali father would give you their daughters hand when you aren't even Muslim?

Just being real.

Wadani;893837 wrote:
This topic has been beaten to death on this site already. But it's such a charged and polarized topic that you'll receive tons of very opinionated replies nontheless. I'll start by saying i'd never consider a non-somali for marriage. I need the smell of uunsi, and the mouth watering scent of bariis and hilib adhi when I come home from work. I don't wanna come home to a febreezed apartment with a hamburger helper dinner plate on the table lool.

You gotta be joking right? Lol!

How many times have I seen Somalis married to Somalis feeding their kids halal hamburgers from the fridge or simply order Pizza in.

Lets be real bro...

There are many Somalis who are happily married to non-Somalis and I doubt they don't use unsi or that they don't eat hilib n baris.

So quit generalizing and making them look like they're less Somali because they aren't married to one.

Wadani   

Narniah, I am who i am and want wat i want. If u wanna marry an ajanabi or just condone it in principle go right ahead. Just dont expect me to applaud your decision. I'm Somali through and through, and i want my kids to be also.

its fine for somali men to marry/date non-somalis. somewhat tolerable for somali women to date non-somalis but unacceptable for somali women to marry non-somalis. but before i'm accused of being sexist, think of what's at stake.

Taleexi   

Wadani;893856 wrote:
Narniah, I am who i am and want wat i want. If u wanna marry an ajanabi or just condone it in principle go right ahead. Just dont expect me to applaud your decision. I'm Somali through and through, and i want my kids to be also.

Narniah - way ku jeceshahay ee wax fahan.

Apophis;893839 wrote:
For me it's a no because I wish to preserve my Somali lineage.

Me too and it's also much easier for everyone to get along since there are no language barriers :)

Narniah   

Taleexi;893863 wrote:
Narniah - way ku jeceshahay ee wax fahan.

Iyah! :/

Apophis;893857 wrote:
I guess my hope lies in the
insane
Somali fathers, there's bound to be a few right??

Which means you gonna end up with his not so very sane daughter? As the apple never falls too far from the tree! Good luck lol

Wadani;893856 wrote:

What's with the dramatic reply, I never said I wanted to marry ajnabi! I was just calling you out on your generalization saying indirectly people who are married to ajnabi are basically not Somali anymore (Or stop being Somali according to you).

What you want is entirely up to you and I have nothing whatsoever against it. That's not even an issue.

Taleexi   

Bluelicious;893871 wrote:
Me too and it's also much easier for everyone to get along since there are no language barriers
:)

Yaa luuqad u baahan.