Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Working Studying in Gaalo Societies

Wadani;892448 wrote:
So wat r u suggesting, give a two weeks notice and have breakfast in Maansoor by December? lol

Have you been back recently and stayed for a while. When was the last time you went back?

N.O.R.F   

Been there and done that. Glad I’m out of the ‘should I shouldn’t I’ stage of my career with regard to social events. I’m usually straight with them but try and explain why as well. I would offer to buy/bring in breakfast/lunch the following week.

Oday, to ease things you can offer to buy lunch for your team the following week. Pizza etc (nothing major). They will appreciate it and won’t pressurise you in the future. Your get out of jail card this time of year (but stress this isn’t a Xmas lunch but a gesture to team member etc) . Thank me later with a large chicken fajita – thin base :D

Wadani   

OdaySomali;892462 wrote:
Have you been back recently and stayed for a while. When was the last time you went back?

Was there for a month in 2006. I was quite young, naive and unable to fully take advantage of the trip. I was mostly cooped up in the house with overly protective family and extended relatives doting on me like I was a young prince. I wanna go back this time with eyes wide open.

Wadani;892468 wrote:
Was there for a month in 2006. I was quite young, naive and unable to fully take advantage of the trip. I was mostly cooped up in the house with overly protective family and extended relatives doting on me like I was a young prince. I wanna go back this time with eyes wide open.

Go there on a fact-finding mission first. See how you like the place and the people and whether you could live in it.

Aaliyyah   

Odey, it is good that you refused to attend the Christmas party I personally never understood those Muslims who accept such invitations. Take Norf's advice and buy your colleagues dinner, that way they don't misunderstand and think you are isolating yourself. Good luck.

Aaliyyah   

Alpha Blondy;892442 wrote:
seems like you've become a gaal yourself. LOL.

LOL bisinka be nice...

Odey, Ashura is the 10th day of Muharram (the first month in the Islamic calendar). The prophet csw recommended that we fast on the 9th and the 10th day of Muharram.

Wadani;892477 wrote:
That's good advice, thanks. Wat r ur impressions of hargaysa overall?

Like a city on the move but with a long long way to go yet. Progress at a snail's pace. Development obstructed by psuedo-politicians & cawaan politics, corruption and qabyaalad. Poor, underdeveloped, lacking infrastructure, a dearth of good leadership or management, lack of public services, lack of entertainment. Lack of everything.

If I had to sum it up:

Extreme poverty. Extreme underdevelopment. Extreme bad and incompetent leadership, across every field and sector. Marmite.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/showthread.php/58340-Sharing-my-experience-of-back-home

Aaliyyah;892480 wrote:
LOL bisinka be nice...

Odey, Ashura is the 10th day of Muharram (the first month in the Islamic calendar). The prophet csw recommended that we fast on the 9th and the 10th day of Muharram.

Mahadsanid Aaliyyah.

Aaliyyah   

^ Adaa mudan. I also hope that you are fasting today since it is the 10th of muharram and that inshallah I'll get some of your ajar LOL..

Haatu   

Wadani;892440 wrote:
Thats true Alpha. I don't plan on gettting 10 years of experience before coming to hargaysa. I just graduated uni this year and in the first few months of my career. I'm think after 4 or 5 years i'll be ready for the motherland.

Congrats. What do you do sxb?

Wadani   

OdaySomali;892485 wrote:
Like a city on the move but with a long long way to go yet. Progress at a snail's pace. Development obstructed by psuedo-politicians & cawaan politics, corruption and qabyaalad. Poor, underdeveloped, lacking infrastructure, a dearth of good leadership or management, lack of public services, lack of entertainment. Lack of everything.

If I had to sum it up:

Extreme poverty. Extreme underdevelopment. Extreme bad and incompetent leadership, across every field and sector. Marmite.

Thanks for the honest assessment. But there had to have been some positives also, am I right?

Bump! X-mas is around the corner. And once again there will be the question of X-mas parties.

This time I am attending a X-mas party. I suppose people change in their attitudes.