Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Oba's Malayaacni Thread

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;949946 wrote:
War safferz I hear you got in a little scuffle with alpha.

Yeah, in the May 18 thread. He can gtfo, I'm not here for that and his sh*t isn't cute.

Safferz   

Apartment is spotless, and all packed up for my morning flight to Toronto! Till September, Beantown :D

Safferz how does a Somali be open about his liberal views without being outcasted as a gaal? I find this to be a predicament im often in... restraint I found to be the most efficient remedy though that is the cowards way out eh?

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;949952 wrote:
Safferz how does a Somali be open about his progressive views without being outcasted as a gaal? I find this to be a predicament im often in... restraint I found to be the most efficient remedy though that is the cowards way out eh?

Nah restraint is fine in most situations I think, it's about knowing your audience and picking your battles. Some fights are not worth having. If certain views won't go over well with some people, just don't share them or avoid those conversations diplomatically. I reserve that for family and elders for the most part though (they have an idea of where I sit on certain issues, but I never say much to avoid conflict)... but with everyday Somalis, especially younger folks, I don't really care what they think and I'll speak my mind.

Safferz   

You're not a sell out, you're just being pragmatic :P The key is to say just enough to push people to consider a different position, but not so much that you come off as extreme in your views/gaal lol. For instance I'll argue with my dad about his homophobia and say they're people too, but I won't tell him that I support their right to marry.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;949961 wrote:
Lool further elaborate. What was the melting point dee

I don't like people who aren't capable of nuance and see every issue as black and white. Who the **** is the "we" he's referring to? So I was like:

gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-27

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;949964 wrote:
Care to express such views

Oh yes... I think Somalis generally prefer the hard sciences, medicine, engineering, etc as fields, and the vast majority of our PhDs are in those areas, so we have a scarcity of Somalis with (or pursuing) doctorates in the humanities and social sciences. It's in those fields - history, economics, political science, anthropology, etc - that knowledge about Somalia and Somalis are produced and in turn shape the discourse about Somalia (and feed into policy), yet we have so few people who are equipped to contest it. "Somali Studies" is dominated by white folks, which is a trend in African Studies more generally, but at least other Africans have a presence in the academic study of their countries. For every one Somali political scientist, I can think of 50+ white political scientists studying Somalia.

And then we have the phenomenon of Somali PhD holders trying to become presidents and high ranking politicians back home :mad: