Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

shaking hands with the opposite sex

Aaliyyah   

Is it haraam to shake hands with non muhrim men if they are elderly? And how do any of you tell your non Muslim young coworkers or classmates of the opposite sex that you cant shake their hands without offending them. Do u straight up say my religion prohibits it? Please share your personal experience.

I was about to start a thread about this topic and the free mixing of men and women in general.

I will watch the videos Walaalkis has posted, that thy might shed some useful insight. To me it doesnt make sense though. If you are in a public place, what is wrong with shaking hands because shaking hands is not itself a sexual activity. And to be honest, if two people are intent on commiting zina - the primary reason why some forbid the shaking of hands with with the opposite sex is that it "might" lead to zina - they will find a way of doing it. There are so many things and instances that could lead to zina, trying to ban and forbid every little thing just doesnt make sense; humans have been installed with free will and have been shown wrong from right, an extreme rigidity and precautions will do little to curtail that.

Unless there are some among you who think: "wow that was a great handshake, now I shall commit zina because of that amazing handshake". To me it just doesnt make sense.

STOIC   

It will create awkward and uncomfortable situation in the beginning, but most people will understand if you tell them in a polite manner that it is religion thing and nothing personnel.I personally shake the fair sex hands all day everyday and this is pure due to my choice and It haven't crossed my mind yet to exchange fluids with any of them haha

PS I had a friend a devout American-Indian muslim brother who was few years behind me at the time (still in his pre-clinic year). He was adamant about not touching female patients and dreaded the thought of touching opposite sex during his clinical years.I straight up advised him he will not only touch female patient, but he will be invading their personal space.In this profession it is hard not to shake and smile all day or else you will be the rude guy reported to the board.People gotta eat and I'm sure God understands that

Mario B   

We must be carefull about self-righteous symbolism. I believe muslim men and women in public duty should be exempt from this type of obligation, a good example is our Foreign Minister Fawzia. I was surprised there was a furore when Sheikh Sharif shook Mrs Clintons hand.:)

sharifclinton-flags.jpg?w=510

Narniah   

One thing you take from a topic like this is that the majority of Somali men aren't practicing Muslims.

I don't shake hands with the opposite gender, my friends/co-workers know this and respect it.

Narniah;889556 wrote:
One thing you take from a topic like this is that
the majority of Somali men aren't practicing Muslims.

I don't shake hands with the opposite gender, my friends/co-workers know this and respect it.

Guide us, oh Narniah. shaq.png

Waxeey ahaan jirtay, marka keliya oo aanan laguu ogoleen inaad *hand shakes with the opposite gender* marka aad weeso qabto oo aad kabaqeysid ineey salaada kaa jabto. Laakinse aniga fikrad ahaan, uma qabo ineey danbi ama Haaram tahay inaad dadka gacanta salaanta ka qaadid. Waa fikradeyda.

I believe shaking hands with the opposite sex is a mild form of denbi. I personally do it all the time we live in the west thus we have to adapt to the standards of the western society, Allah is understanding.

Aaliyyah   

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Now let me add my 2 cents.

Generally speaking i try to avoid to shake hands with young men because it is religiously haraam. However, I am not going to pretend it is easy to approach that situation and I am not going to say I have never ever shook hands with young men. There were times where I was tongue tied to even say anything because I was afraid to offend the person. It never gets any less awkward every-time someone wants to shake your hands as a friendly gesture and I have to turn it down. It is hard and being in the west I doubt most people are understanding I find that they are offended. But, would you rather offend ilaahay the one who created you just so you dont offend a mere human being. I guess that is our choice.

As for those of who are saying when you handshake with the opposite sex it doesnt mean you will commit zina. Remember that Allah swt never said don't commit Zina he said "wala taqribuu" don't even get near to it (ie dont do anything that might lead to it)..

Secondly, I never thought there was ever an issue in shaking hands with elderly men. However, I have recently realized that those hadiths that are allowing one to shake hands with elderly people of the opposite sex are weak. I believe this was addressed in walaalkiis second post when the shiekh said who decides what is young or old. And that it is haraam to shake hands with the opposite sex period. Jazakalaah khyr walaalkiis.

Aaliyyah   

Narniah;889556 wrote:

Mashallah hun. That is the sunnah of our prophet csw.