Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

Humans Becoming Less Intelligent?

Humans may be gradually losing intelligence, according to a new study.

The study, published today (Nov. 12) in the journal Trends in Genetics, argues that humans lost the evolutionary pressure to be smart once we started living in dense agricultural settlements several thousand years ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/humans-becoming-less-intelligent-173400651.html

Coofle   

Starting from Electronic Calculators To HiTech Computers,,,,,They are making our lives easier but our intelligence is going down the drain..

I recall I enjoyed asking my grandmother about poems and Hees Hawleed.... Gabaygii hebel hebel maad maqashay, Then she starts reading the poem (which she only once heard back 40-50 years ago) and then she starts going on and on about series of poems .....

I can't even remember the last time I converted or calculated anything without the help of technology...I heard those days its okey to take math/physics/chemistry exams with your calculators...back in my days it was all up to the good old brain to calculate everything...

The human intelligence remains the same with all those technologies. Remember, those stuff are also made by humans.

It is us to use our intelligence or not ..... but it is always there.

Wadani   

^The masses of common people the world over have nothing to do with the advancement of technology nor the production of new knowledge.

Wadani   

Thats my point....so its possible that most humans are becoming less intelligent, even if average world intelligence has stayed the same or increased as a result of freakishly intelligent Mensa types skewing the stats in their direction.

Wadani   

I'm not disagreeing with u, just saying that the presence of geniuses among us, such those responsible for space travel, doesn't disprove the possibility that humans in general are becoming less intelligent.

Wadani   

I would've said the probability is slight, if it wasn't for the exponential growth of atheists for the past two centuries and a half. :)

Wadani   

It seems u know nothing of the Islamic world's golden age which spanned centuries, while europe was wallowing in the darkness of ignorance, filth, wars and perennial plagues. Also, it seems ur conflating Christianity's problematic relationship with science and Islam's views on the latter. Islam has never been antogonistic towards science or technology, in fact it was under the Umayyad's, the Fatmids and other Islamic dynasties that the knowledge of the ancients, such as greek philosophy (deemed as heresy by the Church) and medicine and Indian mathematics, was translated into various languages, preserved and built upon.The inventions, breakthroughs and discoveries made by Islamic scientists and intellectuals of the period formed much of the foundation for the european enlightenment.

But for arguements sake, even if Islam doesn't advance the mind to think of space travel, how does it preclude one from doing so? My initial question still stands. You need to revisit the assumptions you have about Islam, as it's largley based on a caricatured version, which is backward, simplistic and myopic, embodied by the Wahhabi sect and its offshoots.

Wadani   

Apo, something which does not contribute to an outcome does not neccassarily preclude its possibility or hinder its occurance. I don't get how u don't see that.