Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Somalia journalists protest libelous Guardian article

Kulmiye   

MOGADISHU, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- Dozens of Somali journalists on Thursday held protests against an article in the British paper the Guardian in which the writer alleged Somali reporters to be corrupt and that many of them are killed for their involvement in graft.

The Guardian piece authored by London-based journalist Jamal Osman was entitled "Somali Journalists are dying of corruption as much as conflict" claimed that the majority of journalists killed in Somalia are murdered as a result of their involvement in corruption, a claim vehemently refuted by the country's journalist Union.... READ MORE @ http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-10/18/c_131915284.htm

NGONGE   

People protest so that the media can spot them and help them air their grievances. The union of Somali journalists on the other hand could have used their writing skills to refute the Guardian's article and, at the same time, publicise the obvious plight of Somali journalists.

This silly protest is depressing.

Kulmiye   

protest- uun bay maqleen. the guy works for a local news station in UK. his article wouldn't get any publicity in UK let alone outside...by going out of their way to protest this article dee its a bonus to his check and brings a rating to his newscast.

i know that jamal osman and met him a few times. he lacks self-awareness and is using his opportunity as a 'Somalia expert' to distort the reality. i agree with NG, its futile protesting.

AYOUB   

NGONGE;880977 wrote:
People protest so that the media can spot them and help them air their grievances. The union of Somali journalists on the other hand could have used their writing skills to refute the Guardian's article and, at the same time, publicise the obvious plight of Somali journalists.

This silly protest is depressing.

The article was adding insult to....getting shot. Maybe they should have protested against the shootings.

Alpha Blondy;880985 wrote:
i know that jamal osman and met him a few times. he lacks self-awareness and is using his opportunity as a 'Somalia expert' to distort the reality. i agree with NG, its futile protesting.

Man may not be OK but the message is correct. Most of Somali journalist are Caado qaate/ Torofotoore and tribelist . Can you call Dahir Alasow a journalist

Sakata   

I believe in somalis for tomorrow, but the current so called somali journalist who have no respect for others work in maintaining the copy and paste culture , but jamal is a marvelous :-) journalist I spoke to a lot of somali journalist and they always tell me that so-and-so was killed because of a set up with another journalist or they get paid from a previous article published without fact check. We Somali tend to jump or to look at things different than any other cultures just to benefit rerkeena hahelo.