Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mogadishu property boom stirs concern-A Million Dollar House

Chimera   

Who the hell gave them permission to sell or rent government property such as the Qatar Embassy? Isn't this exactly what happened to the Somali embassies in Nairobi and Germany before they were reclaimed?

Is there also no plan in helping the IDPs get settled in either the city, or back to their homes? These NGOs have a habit of trying to create camps that they can tag with a name and then claim funds for, without actually empowering them to get back on their feet.

Horta first of all its a embassy tan labaad i wouldnt buy a house close to a refugee camp thats just wrong specially for a house which costs 1 million dollar that is absurd.

Yunis   

War taas doqon sanaa - Cruel irony, that Amina the landowner boasting her dream of ‘place like Californiyaaaaa and Floridaaaaa’ beach front, while overlooking thousands of fellow citizens dwelling in their mud huts.

Yunis;880123 wrote:
War taas doqon sanaa - Cruel irony, that Amina the landowner boasting her dream of ‘place like Californiyaaaaa and Floridaaaaa’ beach front, while overlooking thousands of fellow citizens dwelling in their mud huts.

why the cruel comment ? If she worked hard for her money does that me she has to give to all away ? maybe she's good person and decide to chase her dream ?

The problem in Somalia is NOT HUNGER but Lack of peace . You can give all the food you like and shelter but the war and the hunger continues. What is the point ? IF there's no peace for these people, they will be forever in that condition.

Maarodi   

Libaax-Sankataabte;880046 wrote:
I get the feeling that the IDP camps have become more of a business for the NGOs than a refuge for the displaced.

Exactly. If the IDPs disappear so do their jobs.

Yunis   

walaalkis;880125 wrote:
why the cruel comment ? If she worked hard for her money does that me she has to give to all away ? maybe she's good person and decide to chase her dream ?

The problem in Somalia is NOT HUNGER but Lack of peace . You can give all the food you like and shelter but the war and the hunger continues. What is the point ? IF there's no peace for these people, they will be forever in that condition.

How she earned her money is not my concern, Nor should she have to give away a single dime of her wealth to the needy.

What type of dream is she really trying to build there? - it’s evident from that brief clip which reveals that her 'dream' residence is the result hollywood may belief fantasy that has been ingrained into her memory while living in Diaspora. Couldn’t she build ‘dream home’ or large villa inlands? How does one replicate a western style fancy beach-front villa that is meant to show excessive wealth and status with the crude windows view reality of abject poverty, lack of proper shelter and clean water?

If that's her dream , let her achieve her dream by any means. Who are we to stop this person of doing what they like.

At least she's trying to built her dreams in her homeland . She's investing in her homeland. Her investment will employee lots of jobless men in

the region.We don't know what the future holds.

Who knows that place might be better than lot of places in Africa one day .

Rahima   

What a joke, a million dollar home neighbouring a refuge for IDP? Classic case of a failed state- i pray that this changes soon I'A.

Chimera   

The house already existed long before the war errupted twenty years ago, it clearly mentioned being the former 'Qatari Embassy'. The IDPs came later, its not the property's fault, though it shouldn't be on the market in the first place, a direct slap in the faces of the generous Qataris if they find out about it, and since this report was by Al-Jazeera owned by Qatar LOL, there is a big chance they will!

The 'dreamer' Amina and thousands of others like her are absolutely what the people, city and country need. Their dreams are providing thousands of jobs, it will change the face and reputation of the city in the long run. While you have some changing the skylines of other peoples cities and foreign countries, she is investing in her own country.

The IDPs are the responsibility of the government, but most people want it to stay weak and ineffective for various self-serving humanitarian, political and clan reasons,