Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Why do we behave so oddly in lifts?

wyre   

the only two places when i get in that i become sick, lifts and aeroplanes, "am serious" i become so sick that i sometimes feel like it's my last day in the world

N.O.R.F   

Alpha Blondy;879086 wrote:
lol@NORF,

you're a funny guy ma istiir NORFoow! you know very well there are no lifts here. but the closest thing to lifts is probably public buses.

i know you're not a bus guy anywhere and even more so during your recent visits to Somaliland. I'm a bus guy by my very nature, ruunti. i use to take the bus all the time during my first 6 months here and walahi i've never seen anything like it. its busy, its congested, its uncomfortable and so many different things. its a social space but with different dynamics to lifts, i suppose. people interact more and the public conversations can range from personal issues to matters of national importance. its a space with a social hierarchy and all the front seats are usually occupied and reserved for the elderly. its touchy-touchy and there are lots of bodily movements and connections that would make any lift journey seem 'spacial' lol.

559525_10150764796689250_1323073448_n.jp

I've been on the Hargaisa buses. Great entertainment and people sharing their views/troubles with other travellers makes it unique. A journey in a lift is too short for Hassan to tell us his political views and then follow it up with his woman troubles :D

Juxa   

I got stuck in a lift for 40 minutes with my heavily pregnant sister! The firemen panicked us more. alhamdulilah we all got out safe

N.O.R.F   

^You're not enclosed on an escalator and no one invades your space.

African guy with a brand new tv still in box. Gets on excalator with it. He struggles. Struggles some more. Then, the box is free falling down the excalator narrowly missing a woman before crash landing at the bottom. Always be alert on those things.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;879069 wrote:
What would using lifts be like back home?
:D

Were you not with us when we went to the SOMTEL building? They have a lift there and it has a KEY! (an actual keyhole like on normal doors). :D

As for the topic, can't say I've given it much thought and I find the fact that there is an actual academic who concerns himself with lifts amusing.

DAMON1   

I have to take a lift to the 11th floor everyday at work, It's generally a good time to think about the excuse I will give to my manager for being late!

Ibtisam   

^^^Loool. I love that!!! lol

Somtel, telsom and Dahabshiil have them- terrifying though- I would not get on either.

AfricaOwn;879804 wrote:
lol I never knew you guys call elevators "lifts" , "son, lets take the lift" sounds totally cooler
:)

Another Reer Mareykan who never ventured outside of Mareykanka. Haddee u badato Kanada imaadaan and they had seen the 'world.'

N.O.R.F;879277 wrote:
I've been on the Hargaisa buses. Great entertainment and people sharing their views/troubles with other travellers makes it unique. A journey in a lift is too short for Hassan to tell us his political views and then follow it up with his woman troubles
:D

And do you know how they start talking about random stuff nin uun ba iska istaagayaa oo odhayaan war yaadhaheen ma maqasheen and the rest of the buss says heeee and sheekadu halkasay ka bilaabmta lol.