Sign in to follow this  
BoldNewSomali

Unemployment causes more Somalis mental health problems in London than Minneapolis

Blackflash;878245 wrote:
I agree with BoldNewSomali. Somalis have a tendency to look down on certain jobs. Even in famine stricken Somalia, you have employ Bantu Somalis in labour intensive construction jobs. My father is a perfect example, having turned down several job opportunities over the years, choosing instead to remain on social assistance until he finally received an office job.

There is honor in all jobs, Somalis need to realize that. Unemployment shouldn't even be an option but its a decision. Apophis I agree the sample is small, but are you telling me that there isnt an unemployment epidemic in the Somali community in the UK?

Ibtisam   

Blessed. I find them annoying because 90% never publish their findings and most already have their minds made up and just want confirmation of their views. There is only so much I can say on FGM, women, chat, remittance, Diaspora and politics. Damn hippy students just wanna study something with a tiny sample and then pass their diss/ thesis- bury it and forget about it.

Real researchers, that takes time, effort and understand. Only very few around.

Blessed   

BnS, it's no where near 90% and there just isn't a reliable statistic on Somalis in education and employment because most of us are categorised as 'Black African British' and not 'Somali', most who write about Somalis use out dated "asylum seeker" data which is very misleading as most of us who are parents / work age now have grown up here and don't deal with issues such as language barriers and refugee status, lack of education, there is a constant stream of new arrivals but these issues are no where as common as they were in the 90's. I think also, many young Somali men who are disengaged are dealing with very British set of issues and barriers - which the government needs to address and I think they are waking up to this now but it's unfair to single young Somali men out, when it's British a youth issue across the board!

Also, even with the recession there are more Somali professionals in jobs now then ever before.. Somali Drs, Nurses, Midwives are more visible in hospitals now, professionals are also in the schools, law firms and in the city, many more are working in the charity sector - helping Somalis both here and at home. Most of the Somali television channels are UK based and investment comes mostly from the Somali UK community. Areas with large Somali populations are lined with Somali businesses and shops. Where I grew up, Somali and Turkish businesses are credited for the areas 'regeneration'. Having been away for 6 years, I'm pretty impressed with the progress some of us are making and InshaAllah the rest will also catch up.