Sign in to follow this  
BoldNewSomali

Unemployment causes more Somalis mental health problems in London than Minneapolis

Somali immigrants to the U.K. and U.S. appear to integrate better and have fewer mental health problems if they are allowed to work and they receive practical support during the first few years of their time in the new country, according to a study led by researchers at Queen Mary, University of London and published in BioMed Central Public Health.

The study investigated the experiences of Somalis living in London and Minneapolis. After adjusting for various factors such as age, sex and marital status, the researchers found that Somalis in London were six times more likely to suffer from major depression and four times more likely to have a psychological disorder than those who lived in Minneapolis.

Most of the 189 survey respondents and 47 focus group participants had a shared history of displacement and similar immigration experiences. Like the Olympic Gold medal athlete, Mo Farah, they came to the U.K. or U.S. fleeing violence and human rights abuses in Somalia. However, 90 percent were unemployed in London, compared to 26 per cent in Minneapolis; 98 per cent had obtained refugee status or citizenship in Minneapolis compared to 83 per cent in London.

Read the study at Biomedical Central. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/12/749/abstract

Ibtisam   

Research sample does not even qualify it to be a research, let alone one worth supporting.

It is amazing how many people are studying Somalis and Somali affairs for masters and PHds, if one more person contacts me and tells me they want to study Somalis and if I can help- Im slap them.

a little birdy tells me you've followed me to somaliland to study me. your thesis title being : Alpha's Despondence: Global Economic Meltdown, Transnational Migration and Role of Diasporic Returnees in Reconstructing Post-Conflict Cultural Spaces .

Blessed   

Ibts, I'm very surprised that you would have a problem with that.. :P I think it's important to contribute to the body of knowledge which is lacking as far as Somalis are concerned. This study is an important one even if it states the obvious (i.e unemployment leading to depression / mhp), though the sample as you said is not representative, especially for a transnational comparative study.

Apophis;877899 wrote:

So it appears, while the (surveyed) Somalis in London are unemployed they're more academically qualified than (surveyed) Somalis in Minneapolis who do menial jobs, lol

Show us pics of your lorry BNS:D
:D

Total surveyed <200 people. What a joke.

Hey its just a study that I felt would be interesting to share, I totally see your concern about the sample of those that were in the study group being miniscule. However I take it that your comment about me driving a bus was intended to be an ad hominem that I'm supposed to get upset about. While I am not a bus driver, I do do have a relative that is a municipal bus driver, he is very hard working, and while he may not have a PhD, he at least works for his money. This is unlike the situation of so many able bodied Somalis in the UK who sit around and wait for the state to provide for their needs. What's higher education when you live on the largess of the dowlaad?

BoldNewSomali;878087 wrote:
What's higher education when you live on the largess of the dowlaad?

What's the point of working when you have a fancy degree displayed in your living room? :cool:

Apophis;878096 wrote:
I've shown your comments to be inaccurate so to gain sympathy you tout your relative in an effort to make me seem like as*?

I dont see how you disproved anything. All I got from you was that there are a bunch of educated unemployed types in London. :)

I agree with BoldNewSomali. Somalis have a tendency to look down on certain jobs. Even in famine stricken Somalia, you have employ Bantu Somalis in labour intensive construction jobs. My father is a perfect example, having turned down several job opportunities over the years, choosing instead to remain on social assistance until he finally received an office job.

If you don't believe me, go to Edmonton. Somalis moved there in droves because of the oil boom, except they don't even bother to work in the trades. They then complain about the lack available jobs for their 'community', this is followed by a spate of shootings involving young Somalis and the subsequent appearance of self appointed leaders on television requesting money to the tune of $ 2 million (which they got) for a gym and basketball program.

Apophis;878252 wrote:
You were saying "90% of UK Somalis are unemployed" and I have shown your assertion to be grossly inaccurate.

I'm confused as to why the percentages used for employment between the U.S and U.K samples weren't kept even. Unless there's only 10 employed Somali persons in all of the U.K :P