Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;978932 wrote:
does Adrian Chiles still host MOTD? :cool:

He left I think two years ago.

I remember it like yesterday. It was a cold xagaa night with a chill wind whipping sand into your eyes. We were all crowding round the radio listening to the latest updates as they came and this song came on. Waayo waayo.

SomaliPhilosopher;978945 wrote:
Hobbes, I was named by my parents, am I to change my name?

well it depends what they named you, if as is expected yours is among the annoyingly limited pool of generic arabic names somalis have used/abused to death like mohamed, ahmed, abdullahi, ali, et al then i strongly suggest you change your name asap to a beautiful uniquely somali name. i am actually in the process of harmonizing my documents to reflect my name change, i had an islamic/arabic name but i discarded it. i couldn't be happier runti.

Safferz   

Hobbesian_Brute;978961 wrote:
well it depends what they named you, if as is expected yours is among the annoyingly limited pool of generic arabic names somalis have used/abused to death like mohamed, ahmed, abdullahi, ali, et al then i strongly suggest you change your name asap to a beautiful uniquely somali name. i am actually in the process of harmonizing my documents to reflect my name change, i had an islamic/arabic name but i discarded it. i couldn't be happier runti.

Did you change it to a Somali name or something else?

Haatu;978957 wrote:
Alpha, I was just recalling what I was doing that night 53 years ago? Talow what were you doing?

^ on the 22nd of September 1960, the fault lines were rather obvious by now and i was coming around to rue a mistake. a mistake so grievous. my friends and i, didn't think it would come to this. we'd hoped things would improve but they didn't, did they? :D

in those early days, the world was a different place, not like it is now. despite our foolish mistake....... we eventually came around to accepting the reality............. balse, i still had plenty of hope. had i known things would have taken a turn for the worse, i wouldn't have committed my people to a future of futility. but hey everything is qadaar, maha?

now, the young people with their fancy gadgets don't want to understand that we sacrificed for the greater good and some not-so-young folks, with no vision and no agenda, still try to rectify our regrettable mistake, to no avail.:P;)

i'll be 86 soon, i've seen a lot and i've come to experience a lot but hey when you've lived through the rise and fall of your people, you're never surprised nor disappointed.......particularly, if your children or the future generations, don't inherit your beliefs and values. do i have any regrets.......YES! of course.............. but i wouldn't want to be anything like a Djibouti. it's better to be in this quagmire of sorts, than to still be a colonial outpost of the French. those Frenchies, eh?....... we use to call them the faras faakars in the early years. now, i hear they call them the yaakhi faakars :P

Safferz   

Hobbesian_Brute;978969 wrote:
yes dear, what else. i can't run from an alien name to another alien name. can i ?

Glad to know you're consistent, and not just anti-Arab/Muslim.

Hobbesian_Brute;978961 wrote:

the last of the shackles, miyaa? :P

well done and welcome to name hell, abti.

sure it's easier to avoid interrogations at airports and what have you........sure it might give you an aura of the mysterious, present itself to be the perfect outlet to express your afro-centricity........but my 'ethnic' name has been a curse. I've carried this shame all my life. i've been the butt of all jokes from primary school to graduation, where i was forced to write it phonetic for the announcer, for fear she'd mispronounce it, and ruin my one single greatest accomplishment to date....:P:D

sometimes, i wonder, if my life would have turned out differently if i had a normal name like everyone else?.....but it's futile to base your life on speculative wax-la-yidhis, ma garateen? unless, of course, like Alpha, your name is beyond strangest of strange names, you know. like 1 in 15,000 or something rarer. something special. my strange name has accorded me the pleasure of being a 'hit' with the xalimos and probably living longer than most.......:P:D;)

my name is Alpha ee sida uula soco, abtiyaal :D