Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Haatu   

Safferz;989601 wrote:
I disagree completely Haatu, UK has a horrible economy for all degrees, at least as a linguist (or anthropologist, another area SOAS is great at and would allow you to study culture as well) you'd be doing something you love and contributing to knowledge about Somalia/Somalis, which is something we desperately need. A doctorate in particular (which are super short in the UK, 3 years I believe) would open up a number of other career opportunities, and chances are a job in academia will mean a better income than what you have in mind now. Plus there's always opportunities to be a basaas back home for your foreign government, like SP and Alpha
:P
I just think it's a shame to see a kid who is clearly passionate about a certain subject and has the intellectual curiosity to do it professionally worry about feeding his hypothetical family and end up studying something else!

Trust me I would love to study it but circumstances dictate otherwise.

Do you know my old man was once offered a job to teach spies Somali. No lie :P

Haatu   

Wadani;989608 wrote:
Faarax Idaaja's VOA program eh? lol.

Yep. His politics might be iffy but the man has been blessed with cultural and linguistic knowledge. I enjoy his podcasts.

Alpha Blondy;989609 wrote:
this is very sad. a great man.

Great for South Africans. To me he's just another man.

Safferz   

Haatu;989606 wrote:
Trust me I would love to study it but circumstances dictate otherwise.

It's your decision of course, but I will never understand the type of calculation people make to study subjects they don't enjoy. It's antithetical to the very idea of the university, of learning, knowledge and ideas, and there's only a marginal difference in opportunity between a bachelors in a social science and a bachelors in the sciences/math. Anyway, understandably I have strong opinions on this, and I'd much rather have Dr. Haatu, professor of African languages and literatures as my colleague than deal with yet another Somali engineer or accountant :P

Wadani   

Haatu;989611 wrote:
Yep. His politics might be iffy but the man has been blessed with cultural and linguistic knowledge. I enjoy his podcasts.

Yes he is very knowledgeable, but the man and his friend Aw Faarax Jaamac have done a great crime against the Somali people with their hisotrical revisionism.

As for Mandela, the man was 95...how can anyone be sad by his passing. He's done his work here on this earth and led a long long life.

Wadani;989618 wrote:

As for Mandela, the man was 95...how can anyone be sad by his passing. He's done his work here on this earth and led a long long life.

such hypocracy.

sand-dweller supremo Abdi Warabe is alleged to be on the wrong side of a century lakinse he's a complete failure. :cool::o;)

Apophis;989619 wrote:
I agree. In fact I found him meek and unworthy of adoration, which is mostly by whites. Ironic ain't it? They call Mugabe, the one who kicked out the parasites, a "dictator" but praise the one who legitimised their choke hold on South Africa.

don't let the whites take him away from us. he's still significant despite their tokenist conferments.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;989621 wrote:

sand-dweller supremo Abdi Warabe is alleged to be on the wrong side of a century lakinse he's a complete failure. :cool:
:o
;)

Leave Abdi Warabe alone :mad:

Haatu;989598 wrote:
I've seen the courses they offer and I would love to study there but a degree in Somali won't feed a family
:D

gender studies here and i'm still surviving. :P

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;989627 wrote:
or what?

I'm going to have to dump you again, this time over your continued, blatant disrespect of my reer abtiyaal.

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;989621 wrote:
such hypocracy.

sand-dweller supremo Abdi Warabe is alleged to be on the wrong side of a century lakinse he's a complete failure. :cool:
:o
;)

Haaji Cabdi Waraabe is the main pillar of peace in the northern Somali regions. This man has led a pious and peaceful life, and even forgave the killer of his own father after being sent by his clan with a rifle and a group of youth to get revenge. He not only forgave him but is now married to that mans daughter. He said in an interview that he never missed a prayer and has never committed zina in his entire 100 some odd years on this earth. He was also a proponent of education during the colonial era and was even sentenced to death at one point by the Sand-dweller Suldaan of the time who was a bitter enemy of the British, and who believed they would use these schools to prosetylize Somali children. Also, he has never taken part in clan wars or any camel raids, and said the only battles he's taken part in were defensive and to reclaim looted camels. Odaygu waa cajaaib wallahi.