Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;988389 wrote:
ma ruunba the early settlers were starving once............. and they came across a turkey and that's how the tradition came about?

The story/myth is that in the 17th century, the Pilgrims (English settlers who fled religious persecution in England, and arrived in Massachusetts) had a successful harvest and celebrated with a huge feast, and invited their Native neighbours and all had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner together. It is BS historical revisionism because the truth is that the settlers basically wiped out the Native population, with direct violence and disease :mad: It's a contentious holiday for sure.

Canadian Thanksgiving was in October, and doesn't have the American mythology tied to it :P

Safferz;988394 wrote:
The story/myth is that in the 17th century, the Pilgrims (English settlers who fled religious persecution in England, and arrived in Massachusetts) had a successful harvest and celebrated with a huge feast, and invited their Native neighbours and all had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner together. It is BS historical revisionism because the truth is that the settlers basically wiped out the Native population, with direct violence and disease :mad: It's a contentious holiday for sure.

Canadian Thanksgiving was in October, and doesn't have the American mythology tied to it
:P

i get the point about national holidays massaging national psyches but why lie?

America is not built on a lie. it's built on courage, on imagination and on personal freedoms. this is why it's the greatest country that has ever existed and will probably ever exist.

go on baal...no sheeg what Canadian Thanksgiving is built on?

p.s - for your national pride, i hope it's not built on setting the turkey free because of animal rights? :D;)

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;988397 wrote:
i get the point about national holidays massaging national psyches but why lie?

America is not built on a lie. it's built on courage, on imagination and on personal freedoms. this is why it's the greatest country that has ever existed and will probably ever exist.

go on baal...no sheeg what Canadian Thanksgiving is built on?

p.s - for your national pride, i hope it's not built on setting the turkey free because of animal rights?
:D
;)

Every nation has its founding myths, and the US has one that sanitizes much of its history of colonialism, genocide, slavery, etc. Most people don't think critically about holidays like Thanksgiving or Columbus Day, or what they represent. Canadian Thanksgiving is simply a harvest holiday, with the "giving thanks" and having dinner with your family too :P

Anyway I pity the turkeys too, although they taste delicious... I'm sure I told you before that I've become very good friends with the ones who live on my street:

301928_10151357340121524_128057362_n.jpg

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;988403 wrote:
^ Canadian thanksgiving?

you didn't answer my questions.

About why nations have to lie about their history and construct founding myths, you mean? I explained Canadian Thanksgiving... it's a harvest celebration not tied up to this foundation narrative, we aren't even a republic dee there's no need to come up with an elaborate story of settlers and natives who got along perfectly under the tyranny of an English government abroad until revolutionaries fought for and won independence. Our country was basically founded by a fur company that today is a shitty department store no one even shops at. I bought some mittens there once.

Safferz   

This talk about historical revisionism and founding myths to legitimize new states has me missing Somaliland lool

Dadkaygu haduu tashaday, maxaa loo daba socda?

Cadale   

Det är inte ens skoj du får råknas

Jag hörde några skott här i trakten

Det gäller och va tuff, inte sårbar

För annars du får gitta från trakten

thug life LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Cadale   

Tallaabo;988500 wrote:
Why do you guys post these endless music videos from You Tube? These video clips are as annoying as the junk mail I receive.

If you dont appreciate make your own thread. naga baaax :mad:

Safferz   

Cadale;988505 wrote:
If you dont appreciate make your own thread. naga baaax :mad:

Agreed, sorry Tallaabo :P

Pull uuuup! *wines*

Safferz;988407 wrote:

Dadkaygu haduu tashaday, maxaa loo daba socda?

reer SL are seeking approval.

recognition comes from the self. others can't give you what you already have.

Tallaabo;988500 wrote:
Why do you guys post these endless music videos from You Tube? These video clips are as annoying as the junk mail I receive.

+ 1

........sort of agree here.

i post good content. all my vids are meaningful, dee.

decipher these lyrics from the vid i posted baal.....

Confusion never stops

Closing walls and ticking clocks

Gonna come back and take you home

I could not stop that you now know, singing

Come out upon my seas

Cursed missed opportunities

Am I a part of the cure?

Or am I part of the disease? Singing

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;988555 wrote:
+ 1

........sort of agree here.

i post good content. all my vids are meaningful, dee.

decipher these lyrics from the vid i posted baal.....

Coldplay blows, they're boring and pretentious, with lyrics not worth taking seriously. A bad attempt at Radiohead :P