Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Safferz;987965 wrote:
Instead of doing my work, I'm watching romantic comedies
:(
Currently watching "Love Actually," which is quite good...

did you know many of Richard Curtis's films are based on his real life jacyl shenanigans?

i've always had you down as a Bridget Jones sort of person. ma ruunba? and more importantly were those films based on you, horta? :P

p.s - this song isn't based on 'us'. :D:(

Safferz;987981 wrote:
Alpha, believe it or not, I still haven't seen Bridget Jones. I will watch that next, and get back to you
:P

ok. :P

synopsis................ the Bridget Jones series is about a 30-something year old feminist who keeps a diary on her jacyl exploits on the mashruuc circuits, after years of comfort-eating and feeling adequately ''independent'' in her ways. she flops miserably at first and is in a bottomless pit of self-pity. she then meets one of those New Labour era service sector execs emasculated by political correctness and they live happily ever after. :P

familiar? if not then, that's what awaits you ee sida uula soco. :P:D

Safferz   

lol look at Prime Minister Hugh Grant, Britain can only flex like this in diplomatic relations with the US in the movies:

PM Grant can get it though.

Safferz   

So I ate an entire pint of ice cream and used up half a box of tissues watching this movie *sniffles*... on to Bridget Jones.

Alphow, does this mean you'd watch chick flicks with me? I knew you were perfect :P

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;987973 wrote:
did you know many of Richard Curtis's films are based on his real life jacyl shenanigans?

i've always had you down as a Bridget Jones sort of person. ma ruunba? and more importantly were those films based on you, horta?

p.s - this song isn't based on 'us'.
:D
:(

9.5/10 for Bridget Jones, almost perfect for a romantic comedy but loses .5 for casting an American actress because I *hate* fake accents, however convincing they may be.

And yes, now that I've seen it, I would say I have a lot on common with that awkward spinster :P Except for Colin Firth and Hugh Grant fighting over me, but one can hope.

Khayr   

Alpha,

You lose major points for admitting to watching Bridget Jones and writing about it.

No shame at all. You can't play

football with the boys anymore. :)

Safferz   

Khayr;988057 wrote:
Alpha,

You lose major points for admitting to watching Bridget Jones and writing about it.

football with the boys anymore.
:)

Alpha gets points in my book dee :P

Khayr;988057 wrote:
Alpha,

football with the boys anymore.
:)

this is ludicrous. this is a travesty. have you no shame?

there is nothing in the text to suggest i have watched or wrote about about this film or any other female friendly rom-coms. rather it was

WHY BLACK STUDIES MATTERS

Kehinde Andrews and Lisa Palmer, Newman University

Black scholars and scholarship are marginalised in British academia. The lack of jobs and opportunities has led to an exodus of Black British academics to the United States, where there is a tradition of Black Studies which has produced a vibrant academic African American presence. In order to redress the chronic under-representation of the Black population in British academia (for example, only 50 out of 14,000 professors are Black in the UK) the development of British Black Studies is essential. We outline the basis for Black Studies in Britain and its vital importance.

The Importance of Blackness

We define Black as referring to people of African Ancestry including those in the Diaspora and on the continent of Africa. In British academia this is a definition that is itself marginalised because a more expansive definition of ‘political blackness’, used to denote all people who are not White, is the dominant perspective. For advocates of political blackness, Blackness rooted in African ancestry is too restrictive and a source of disunity amongst minority groups who are seen to need to unite to combat racism.

There is a critical debate between these perspectives, but it is ‘political blackness’ that is the dominant perspective within the academy. Racism has worked to silence other articulations of Blackness, which is why the chasm exists in the academy. We organised an extremely successful conference, Blackness in Britain, with over 150 delegates in attendance. One of the main reasons for the success of the conference is that we openly branded it as a place for research and discussion based on Blackness. Delegates spoke of how powerful it was to be able to come and talk about their work, without having to justify or explain the position of Blackness.

Blackness has been tarred with the same feather as reactionary approaches to multiculturalism, which reduce and restrict people to cultural categories whilst lacking a politics of resistance. However, such criticism of Blackness is unfair. Blackness is not meant to denote how people should talk, dress, act or think; rather it is the political commitment to resisting the oppression of Black populations. The diversity of the perspectives and approaches that were present at the conference demonstrate the flexibility and complexity of Blackness. Opening up spaces for work on Blackness is not just essential to make the British academy more inclusive, but also to root it in the reality of lived experiences within society.

A Space for Black Academics

Black Studies is not a subject reserved only for Black scholars. There are number of scholars from a variety of backgrounds who have done important work looking at the Black population. Again, this demonstrates how Blackness is not a closed and exclusive shop. However, one of the principle reasons to support Black Studies is to develop a critical mass of Black academics. The significant presence of African American academics is due in large part to the existence of a longstanding Black and African American Studies tradition, which offers a route into academia for a number of Black scholars. Creating a Black Studies tradition in Britain would help to redress the lack of representation of Black staff in the academy.

Academia is so overwhelming White that it is essential to create Black-led spaces to nurture a new generation of scholars. The importance of this is difficult to explain to those who are used to being in the majority. The normative Whiteness of academia has the effect of isolating Black scholars and scholarship, preventing discussions and ideas from developing. It is no coincidence that we who have organised a Black Studies conference, and are planning to develop the agenda, are two Black members of staff in the same department. Without the mutual support that this has provided it is very unlikely that we would be pushing this agenda. As such representation in a department is a rare occurrence, it is no surprise that Black Studies has such a low profile in Britain. However few we are in number, there are Black academics in post in British universities and it is incumbent on those who are fortunate enough to be employed to create spaces and opportunities for others to follow. It can be difficult because of personal circumstances, temporary contracts and working in isolation to promote Black studies, which is why it is vital we build networks of support.

The poor representation of Black staff in higher education in Britain is an outrage, which has consequences not just for the equality agenda but, more importantly, for knowledge production. If a significant section on the population is locked out of academia then the knowledge produced is itself exclusionary. It is no surprise, then, that the policy agenda and discourse is so endemically discriminatory when the knowledge upon which it is based is so exclusionary. The call for Black Studies does not relate only to the Black population, but is necessary for the whole of society to create inclusive and liberatory knowledge.

................CONTINUE HERE: http://www.discoversociety.org/why-black-studies-matters/

----

excellent read.

---

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;988147 wrote:

let's both watch Waiting to Exhale and review it.

Seen that one already, I think I've seen every black romantic movie at this point. None of them will be as good as Love Jones :D