Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Safferz   

Haatu;986686 wrote:
I don't see the outrage of people dressing up to look black. If they want to paint their faces, let them.

In North America, it has a specific and racist context and history as a way to degrade black people though, so it's never been as simple as painting your face black.

Cool vid Alpha,

As a former high school teacher myself (predominately Somali student population) I can echo the sentiments the author put so astutely. A big problem with some (or most) Somali parents is that it is very difficult to convince them that attending University may not be the best path for their child(ren). A high number of Somali children are put into these categories of ADHD/ADD. This may sound harsh but many Somali parents want their children to make them look good in front of their peers over becoming successful (the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive).

P.S: Someone needs to do research into this form of learning using animated characters, don't think I would've watched it otherwise.

guleed_ali;986734 wrote:
Cool vid Alpha,

As a former high school teacher myself (predominately Somali student population) I can echo the sentiments the author put so astutely. A big problem with some (or most) Somali parents is that it is very difficult to convince them that attending University may not be the best path for their child(ren). A high number of Somali children are put into these categories of ADHD/ADD. This may sound harsh but many Somali parents want their children to make them look good in front of their peers over becoming successful (the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive).

P.S: Someone needs to do research into this form of learning using animated characters, don't think I would've watched it otherwise.

as an educator myself, i've come to appreciate the use of visual aids as tools to enhance the education experience. people learn differently and it's important to accommodate all. in my classrooms, i feel it's important to make learning as interactive as possible. participation is crucial. using traditional techniques (teacher talks and students listen) polarises the class. i find it's important to organise group based activities. this allows everyone to participate. i've also organised group presentations using the projector.

just last week in one of our introductory classes.....i wrote on the board - ''what is education''. my aims were two-fold:

1. to give a background to education

2. to get a sense of what the students deem as ''education''.

the discussion was very interesting.

Haatu   

Alpha, I kindly request you desist from the blatant i.***** propaganda you're peddling here.

Also, a good teacher never assumes the students know something. Very simple but you'll be surprised at how many teachers neglect this. So if you're going to teach proton NMR, first point to Hydrogen on the periodic table with the students and work through what the different numbers and symbols mean before teaching them what a nucleon is. It might be revision/basic for most but there might be some who don't know or have forgetten. (I would make an amazing teacher)

^ i'm an educator. that's different from being a teacher. it's like being a motivational speaker as opposed to being a lecturer. :P

teaching is awesome, abti.

i've been a teacher 4 times in my life. the experiences have made me a better person, ruunti.

you can always do a PCGE and become a teacher, too. you'll be considered as ''key worker'' and will get first dips on housing schemes. there's even a pension, apparently. :P:D

Haatu;986749 wrote:
Alpha, I kindly request you desist from the blatant i.***** propaganda you're peddling here.

Also, a good teacher never assumes the students know something. Very simple but you'll be surprised at how many teachers neglect this. So if you're going to teach proton NMR, first point to Hydrogen on the periodic table with the students and work through what the different numbers and symbols mean before teaching them what a nucleon is. It might be revision/basic for most but there might be some who don't know or have forgetten. (I would make an amazing teacher)

That's just it Haatu there isn't one correct pedagogy. Every person, region, culture, etc. have different ways of learning. I think an educator's most important asset should be versatility, i.e you should be able to get the best out of all your students and not just those who enjoy your methodologies. You can have 3 different teachers teaching the same subject, curriculum and material but the delivery will always be different and hence the results from students will also differ.

Alpha Blondy;986754 wrote:
^
i'm an educator
. that's different from being a teacher. it's like being a motivational speaker as opposed to being a lecturer.
:P

teaching is awesome, abti.

i've been a teacher 4 times in my life. the experiences have made me a better person, ruunti.

you can always do a PCGE and become a teacher, too. you'll be considered as ''key worker'' and will get first dips on housing schemes. there's even a pension, apparently.
:P:D

No wonder you're always psycho-analyzing various SOL'ers (it's the educator in you). Just look at how many pages this thread has, you should change the title to "Alpha's interactive classroom". If you're as creative in with your students as you are here they're lucky to have you bro.

Tallaabo   

Haatu;986686 wrote:
I don't see the outrage of people dressing up to look black. If they want to paint their faces, let them.

The Somali and other African and South Asian women use Diana to bleach their skin to whiten their faces. Many ethnic women also bleach their hair or use blonde wigs. Isn't that the same thing as what these students were doing?

Tallaabo   

Safferz;986638 wrote:
Tallaboww, I didn't even last 24 hours
:(

2hfnclw.png

2ivzj9i.png

YOLO!

These products are expensive, aren't they?:eek: I think I should set up a cosmetics business as there is big money to be made from Saff and co;)

Tallaabo   

guleed_ali;986775 wrote:
No wonder you're always psycho-analyzing various SOL'ers (it's the educator in you).
Just look at how many pages this thread has, you should change the title to "Alpha's interactive classroom". If you're as creative in with your students as you are here they're lucky to have you bro

90% of this thread consists of YouTube videos of Euro trash pop songs:p

update from Al's library project.

1461047_10152007462679250_98718303_n.jpg

^ today i managed to collect the second batch of books. there'll be one more batch.

excellent. Alhamdulillah, Mashallah, Allahu Akbar