Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Reeyo   

Safferz;948653 wrote:
^^ go see the Great Gatsby and report back. I have to get back to writing at 4
:(

I can't wait till it shows here. I am quiet excited. Leo as Gatsby is perfect. :D

Haatu   

Great Gatsby? What the hell is that?

Alpha, you've already coined the pseudo-intellectual term, now what do you call these culturally-aware progressive western-types we have here? :P

Safferz;948651 wrote:
Aaway oba? I'm listening to my favourite Swedish artist right now, and sitting on my Ikea couch that came in seven boxes :mad:

OMG..... i haven't heard this song in ages....maybe in almost 4 years. i use to play it all the time......

Safferz   

^^ good one, but I have to say her 2010 Body Talk albums were UHMAZING so that's what I have playing as I work :D

Haatu;948685 wrote:

Alpha, you've already coined the pseudo-intellectual term, now what do you call these culturally-aware progressive western-types we have here?
:P

certainly, for many, being born with a silver spoon in their mouths, is NOT enough. similarly, the over-saturation of university education, in this day and age, has allowed many such individuals to forge forward, without regards to set conventions, by ''accessing'' and ''consuming cultural products'', which was previously beyond their reach. :o

they MUST demonstrate their superior ways by ''consuming cultural products'' and brandish this is in our faces.''cultural consumption'' is very important for them and indeed allows them to create ''an exclusive enclave of the cultured'', that pays homage to their acquired tastes...... but, that, they do this, in such aggressive ways, leaves much to the imagination.....:P

i think the term that best describes their behaviour is......neo-intelligentsia-cultured classes

here's something i've written about such people......:D

Alpha Blondy;913924 wrote:
the term 'world music' is a ridiculous term and a seemingly easy mistake of classification that is often made. naming an entire works of arts and subsuming it under a broad term like 'world music' is a great insult to the culture, traditions and heritage of the people of the global south. the 'world music' genre is, I think an attempt to encapsulate music from various places around the world and as though everything is directly contra-distinct to western music - music from more 'traditional sources’ and particularly those from the lesser nodes of global networked society is 'othered', and collectively grouped together.... despite their apparent diversity and the richness they offer. surely, ‘world music’, is place-specific and unique to its places of origin?

‘world music’ musicians have been commodified as objects of desire that puts western audiences within touching distance of exotic far-flung places, how voyeuristic! similarly,
it caters to the 'cultured' nouveau riche-gentrified-intelligentsia classes
, who have proliferated in the last 15 to 20 years. this vicious contraction of sorts restricts plurality and choice and evidently show us how the patronising foggy 'tokenism' of the west has reduced the cultural value of these works of art. furthermore, the paternalism of the overarching white cultural superstructure seeks to provide a controlled pedestal to these ‘smaller’ and ‘seldom heard voices’ to western audiences but also severely promotes and indeed propagates the mainstream western music industry's manufactured BS to far flung corners of the world. in nigeria and kenyan and across the continent, ethnic works of arts are being replaced by MTV induced BS of the type we're constantly inundated with by the mediums of music in today's 21st century social network age.

i suppose, the superior western production, marketing and distribution system, will always eclipse ‘world music’ and 'world music' musician's meagre streams of opportunities but the sad reality is; the western cultural imperialist superstructure will continue to dominate music of the world by its already devastating cultural hegemony regime, and indeed will continue to subsume other cultures under this 'globalisation façade'. it appears the farther a countries is from western centres of cultural gravity, the more it’s been 'ethnicised' for consumption. music must always be considered in terms of place of origin and no matter how 'cultured' one might be, one must understand there will always be barriers of entry into other cultures. westerners seek to have insights into other cultures through the arts and by listening to the world music of that particular country. and yet conscious cultural critics like myself appreciate and wholly understand; it doesn't make you more familiar with the said culture, it just means you like listening to the music of that country and nothing else.

watching Universal TV......

there's a cad-cad doctor in the ''hot-seat'' caawa and he's responding to the medical issues of the callers...... its funny walahi. :P

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Carafaat   

Alpha Blondy;948701 wrote:
certainly, for many, being born with a silver spoon in their mouths, is NOT enough. similarly, the over-saturation of university education, in this day and age, has allowed many such individuals to forge forward, without regards to set conventions, by
''accessing''
and
''consuming cultural products''
, which was previously beyond their reach.
:o

they MUST demonstrate their superior ways by ''consuming cultural products'' and brandish this is in our faces.
''cultural consumption''
is very important for them and indeed allows them to create
''an exclusive enclave of the cultured''
, that pays homage to their acquired tastes...... but, that, they do this, in such aggressive ways, leaves much to the imagination.....
:P

i think the term that best describes their behaviour is......
neo-intelligentsia-cultured classes

here's something i've written about such people......
:D

Didnt you organise an 'Art' event for those progressive neo-intellectual cultural dhaqan celis elite. :D