Sign in to follow this  
Oz

Champion's League thread 2012/2013

N.O.R.F   

Liverpool daa saxib :D

Last week's game was quality up to the last 20 mins or so. Tonight's should be another cracker. I'm an Arsenal fan tonight :D

Haatu   

Arsenal have some big decisions if they are to be a force in football

Comments (711)

Arsene Wenger urged those who had observed the brutality with which Bayern Munich had taken Arsenal to the cleaners not to hide from the truth.

The truth Wenger referred to was the scale of Arsenal's task in attempting to turn around a 3-1 deficit and reach the last eight of the Champions League in Bayern's Allianz Arena on 13 March - a job which is surely beyond his frail and failing team.

The wider and more painful truth is even starker for Wenger after the runaway Bundesliga leaders spent 90 minutes plus stoppage time illustrating to The Emirates what Arsenal have become; how far they have fallen in European terms.

And why, as Arsenal and their manager stand on the brink of an eighth season without success, the questions about Wenger's future now carry even greater significance.

read rest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21516576

Haatu   

I honestly think it's time for Wenger to go now. I just don't think he's up to the job of returning Arsenal to its former prowess. I wouldn't mind Bayern's current manager coming here in the summer.

Oz   

What a brilliant goal from Hazard. Looks like he shoots better with his weaker foot...

Luis Suarez was superb. Looked off it early on but was giving Zenits backline plenty of problems throughout and two very well struck free kicks. Really fear that you will lose him? Surely he can't enjoy matches like this where he puts such a performance in but still ends up heading out. ( Take away Suarez and there's a very average team there):D

Rodgers' subs :D, To make 2 changes after scoring and putting within 1 goal was in my opinion a bad decision and losing both Hendo and Allen effected the shape massively finding the team struggling to take control of the game at a time where they should have been in complete control. But he's a young manager and he'll learn from such things. 3-1 against a side of Zenit's quality is impressive. :D

What happened to Shelvy, Suso , Sterling etc??

N.O.R.F   

I agree Rodgers should have kept things as they were. Why bring on Shelvey? The guy is useless. Suarez I think will stay another season.

NGONGE   

^^ Only if Real score early. United know that Real will do them on the counter and will probably set up to contain for the first half (shame that red nose does not have the Korean guy anymore). Heh.

Oz   

3 English clubs made it (just) :D to the last 8. Bit of a surprise really considering how poorly English clubs have done historically in EL/Uefa Cup. Spurs and Chelsea are likely to go further, depending upon the tie, and how seriously they take it, given the potential conflict with a top 4 finish in the league.

Spurs vs Inter - Thought it was harsh on Inter. Away goals should be waived off in extra time. :D

Chelsea vs Steaua Bucuresti - What can I say about the little spaniard Mata (absolutely world class) his been awesome today, great to see JT scoring great performance from all players. Torres missing a penalty was a shocker lucky he scored the winning goal.

Newcastle left late but did the job. eventually, after nearly 180 minutes in the tie, gave Cisse a decent chance and he put it away.

Ps:Looking very likely the winner of the Europa league will be either Spurs or Chelsea. There aren't really any very good teams left in it.

NGONGE   

^^ Good team still left. Here is the draw:

Benfica v Newcastle

Fenerbahce v Lazio

Tottenham v Basel

Chelsea v Rubin Kazan

Oz   

Absolutely cracking line-up this year, and I'm not just saying that because there's no English teams. Juventus, Dortmund and PSG all former powerhouses playing good football and Bayern with as good a team as they've had in years. That's without counting Barcelona and Madrid. Gonna be a really interesting draw and 8 games.

Draw -

Malaga v Borussia Dortmund

Real Madrid v Galatasaray

Paris St Germain v Barcelona

Bayern Munich v Juventus

Oz   

If RM, Barcelona, Bayern and Dortmund all reach the semis' we could have an all Spanish or German final. Sure UEFA would lick their lips at the prospect of a dream Spanish final. Await the conspiracy theories if we do indeed have RM and Barcelona playing at Wembley.