Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Muna Nuur

Muna_Nur_01.jpg

30cotbr.jpg

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Muna Nur, a native of St. Paul, Minn., a medic with the 10th Sustainment Brigade, Task Force Muleskinner, prays with Soldiers of the Louisiana National Guard's 1086th Transportation Company before embarking with them on a convoy from Forward Operating Base Ghazni to Bagram Air Field on Afghanistan's notorious Highway 1, May 23, 2012

“I was born in Somalia, so I’m a child of war, I guess,” she said. “When I was two months old, because of the war, my mom moved us to Kenya until I was five, and then to America – where we finally settled in Minnesota. I consider myself an American even though I wasn’t born there.”

A product of war joining an institution that perpetuates war. Very ironic.

Another of her striking aspects is the fact that she is a proud Muslim, a trait that has created difficulties for her in the past – especially after 9/11.

“9/11 created such an awkward position for my family,” she said. “My mom is not totally religious, but she wears the scarves over her head, and she is very fair-skinned so she looks Arab. I just remember all the comments … ” she trails off, hesitant to get too specific and dredge up old wounds.

“I said to myself, do I want people to think my family is full of terrorists? Do I want people to view my religion like we’re all terrorists? I wanted to fight back, so that’s one of the main reasons I joined [the Army].”

Fight back to who and for whom? And no, the hooyo did not receive those nasty comments because she looked like Carab. She was addressed those comments because she is Muslim.

“My first tour of Iraq was very difficult for me,” she said. “Treating soldiers who just got hit, I heard the backlash, but now I don’t take it as an attack against Muslims in general or me, I take is as an attack against terrorists.”

Dealing with traditional Afghan prejudices is another thing she has learned to deal with gracefully.

“Most Afghanis are illiterate,” she explained. “They don’t read the Quran, it’s taught to them. So for me, as a Muslim woman who reads the Quran and has my own interpretation – it can be a battle.”

“You have to have a thick skin,” she added, smiling. “You have to know what right looks like, and be tolerant. You can’t go around telling people their religion is wrong or they believe in false prophets. How would you feel if I condemned you to hell because you’re not a Muslim? I don’t believe in that.”

Baliis, diinta aadan howsheena garaneynin ha faragishan.

More

“I said to myself, do I want people to think my family is full of terrorists? Do I want people to view my religion like we’re all terrorists? I wanted to fight back, so that’s one of the main reasons I joined [the Army].”

One should not take up arms half way around the world to appease a few bigots.

BN   

Waxaa la yidhaahdaa 'dagaal wiil baa ku dhinta ee wiil kuma dhasho' lakiin let's not judge this sister too harshly.

Yunis   

Being female and a Muslim could have been a double-whammy joining the Army, whose population is historically comprised mostly of men and soldiers that believe in some form of Christianity –
but surprisingly, the discrimination she experienced in the civilian world was much worse than what she’s experienced as a soldier

Article is a symbolic of typical recruiter’s fairy tale; An immigrant leaves her old decadence and squalor in Africa to become a true patriot. But, why profile Xaliiimo…didn’t see that coming.

Jacpher   

Afghans are jaahiliin but I have my own interpetation of the Quran :D

“When you go out [on the convoys] there’s no separation. We all sleep in the same tents, or the same trucks,” she said, adding with a laugh, “Once you can pee outside or in the truck with the guys, the awkwardness leaves.”

Does she know what the stats are for female service members getting sexually assaulted? Reports say 1 in 5 females get assaulted sexually.

a somali woman, a US soldier - a killing machine. i wonder what she has do to continue this widespread attention she's currently receiving?

a) an ebony lesbian US solider who is causing controversy over obama's 'don't ask, don't tell' gay policy

b) an anti FGM advocate waging WAR on this evil ritual and practice with the full backing of the US WAR MACHINE. No pre-text necessary.

c) a new-born mormon anti-extremist inter-faith advisor to the Romney campaign

d) decorated war veteran

AYOUB   

Apophis;876003 wrote:
Someone does what they love and others feel offended. Merry old world.

Exactly. She joins invaders and occupiers forces and calls the native names for what they love to do.