Sign in to follow this  
Narniah

I started my....

Narniah   

lil update on my work journey so far alls been well, but there's something weird going on that I'd like to stay away from.

So the Somali guy gave me a call and wanted to load more shifts on me. I told him that another supervisor had already called me and I was working in that part of the store. He seemed disappointed, and asked me who? When I told him the name of the guy who called me, he said 'when did he call you, how did he get your number''? I said '' isn't my number on the system''? He went on to say, 'try not to work with that guy much if he calls you call me and I will put you on my shift, I don't want him being too close to you sis, you don't need that''. I was soo confused by that. For a second there I thought I was talking to my older brotha, I just said to him, oh ok.

Anyways when I worked that day, that same guy the Somali guy warned me about, asked me 'how old I am'? 'Where I study'? and then he said to me 'If I could I would marry you'. He managed to say all that to me, while he was showing me something on till. I just ignored him and continued with my work. The Somali guy was right, I definitely do not need this, thus I'm making sure I no longer work on that guys shift InshaAllah.

The Somali guy caught me wearing 'Pink socks' with my sneakers he's informed me it's not allowed and I can wear white only. At the end of my shift, he bought me a whole set of white socks. I didn't want to accept this free gift so I gave him the change but he refused to take it from me. Today I bought him 1 litre fruit flavored water and placed it in his locker. lol now I don't feel awkward about the socks anymore we are even.:P

Aaliyyah   

Narniah good to hear your update. Yeah be careful and stay away from that guy your boss warned you about. You will find those type of people at work.

Narniah   

^ I dunno what you on about Whats 'so' obvious? I'm lost. lol

Aaliyah I will hun, I ignored him hopefully he got the point.

xx

Chimera;872943 wrote:
Congrats!

My first job was having a paper-route as a little boy. I remember there were a few dark houses in the early morning blackness that scared the hell out of me. I would push in the newspaper and then get the hell out of there, and there was always a feeling of an invisible hand trying to grab me........makes you want to scream hooyo!!!!

Winter-time was the most brutal time, it cemented in me a lot of discipline. Nothing worse then getting out of your warm bed at 4:30 in the morning and deliver newspapers in the slippery cold weather full of self-imagined demons.

lol indeed the winter was the worst. I had to drag a newspaper trolley that fell many times with me down slippy roads. The worst part was when I collected everything for ages only to fall down again. I threw in the towel after struggling one day to drag the trolley up a road close to my house for like an hour. Had I just left the thing behind I would have been home by 3 minutes lol.

Narniah, my 1st job was delivering newspapers when I was 13-15. It was really a nice learning experience, I wouldn't trade it with anything. .You've been given many good advices. InshaAllah you'll be fine walaal.

Narniah   

Thanks guys, I enjoyed reading all about your first job experiences, keep them coming, and the advice that were given to me are all appreciated.:)

Abwaan   

First job was ......let me try to remember.......a teacher, unless gurmad is counted as a job?:D.....It was good altough I was little nervous. Current one? Farmer.....and it is gr8.:D

Taleexi;873669 wrote:
Kissing .i.t.. literally isn't bad at all.

My first job as a teenager was riding my bicycle with winter tires in the border of Finland and Sweden delivering advisement (Reklam).

got damn you u use to live in Norrland??

Jacpher   

Learn to say NO and be firm. Don't be too friendly or too rude or too nice. There are people out there that will walk on you if you are nice and friendly. It will take you awhile to know them but always keep it to professional level. I used to work this cadaan gal. You'd swear she is the most pleasant and nicest person in the office but the most dishonest manipulative person, running the nastiest office politics.

Juxa   

guys, it is not necessary to be b.u.t.t kisser lakin it is necessary sometimes inaad diyar utahay to walk over anyone who stands your way! it is called ambition

Narniah, hon, be careful, tell the somali guy you are just trying to do your job and appreciate his concern, then give him a wide perth. kan kalana next time he says something inappropriate say to him loudly DO YOU MIND?

I am all for promoting your people, have done it over the years but there is a limit. you dont buy socks for your colleague

Malika   

Narniah,

Ask both of them - where can you obtain the store policy on 'sexual harrasment' - hope that should send a message, your there to work.

Ibtisam   

Narniah: Loool Such typical development.

My first job was as a 12 year old, I was a translator for old ladies at the GP and teaching kids/ old ladies Quran. All those years ago! IT paid for my sweets, school uniform and books and pens. I have been working since.

Narniah, to help you understand what is going:

Your boss farah is either being protective of a Somali sister- particularly if he knows the other guys is a bit of player, OR 2, the farah has a crash on you, in which case, stop buying him drinks and exchange socks, unless you want to extend the exchange process. Otherwise tell him, walalo I'm a big girl, I can handle myself. He will soon become judgmental and distance or he will be a good sport and let you be.

Marry you? so fast? is he Asian or Arab? tell him your father is racist, how last time a foreign guy tired to marry you, your dad burnt him but no one could prove it, so he should keep his distance. Do it with a serious face. :D :D My fiction had has burnt down so many guys and got away with it. :P

Blessed   

My first job was at a shipping company as a receptionist, this was where I spend my Y11 work experience and they've asked me to come back that Xmas period as it was busy, it was a family run business and they were the nicest people I've worked for to this day. I was meant to go back that summer but hooyo felt it was going to get in the way of my studies, so that was the end of that. Then I did a few Saturdays at McDonalds, it was hard work but a total laugh at the same time. I continue on my short term gigs to this day, as I'm easily bored.

Tips

*Save some of you salary and use it for something constrcutive; driving lessons, car, etc.

*Remember, your employers need you as much as you need a job , so don't settle for crap, don't be scared to negotiate a set up that works for you.