Sign in to follow this  
Narniah

I started my....

Aaliyyah   

Although Edmonton is much colder than Toronto that doesn't excuse you from buying a jacket. I suggest you buy one. Lafaha hadii ee dhaxan ka gasho ciyaar ma aha.

Chimera   

Blackflash;873020 wrote:
Too true. I remember far too many -40C days as a paperboy in Edmonton. That short stint has turned me in to a norseman, I haven't bought a winter jacket since I moved to Toronto (4 years ago).

I think every Somali mother should push their sons into picking up a paper-route, it builds character and discipline and a healthy dose of fear of the dark world lol.

Well done Narniah! Ilaahay ha kuu barakeeyo maalkaaga iyo xoogaaga...

Some tips from me that I wish I were given when I started my first job all those years ago:

- Always be seen to be working hard when your manager is around.

- Talk to eveyone (in terms of colleagues) and 'befriend' as many people as you can. It make syour job a lot easier. Also managers will be a lot less likely to mess with you if you are well-liked and are well-established.

- Don't work for your job, don't stress or tire yourself out, make your job work for you. Go have those drink-breaks and tell them you were thirsty and needed a drink. Don't be afraid of your manager, instead befriend him/her. Also you wernt doing anything wrong - if you need a drink you need a drink.

- Do as little as you can get away with. And take as long as you can to do that little that you do do. But don't make it too obvious or you will become known...

- Don't sacrifice or let work negatively affect your education (which is your true future). Its not worth it in the long run.

- If you have any difficult colleagues, and we all have those, deal with them ruthlessly. But on the other hand, don't make unneccesary enemies that will make your job more diifuclt than it needs to be. Turn those enemies into friends and assets ratrher than liabilities.

- Trust no-one truly.... there are snakes everywhere.

- Save a good portion of your newfound income. Budget and spend wisely,... don't squander it all.

- Never ever be late. It is unsightly and bad for your rep/image. Always make sure you account for your travel time + an extra 30mins for any delays you may not have forseen. It is better to be early than to be late. Also if you are early you get to hear all the usefull information that is doing the rounds and become closer to the management. its a habit to get into and its good not just for work but for eveything else in life.

- Learn how to do eveything and all the ins and outs of your job/department/position very quickly; not just the basics or what you can get away with. Make an effort to find thinggs out that might not be expected of you and to learn new things. You should set yourself the first month or two to learn eveything thoroughly, it will make your job the much easier and less stressful. You will become a crucial and indisposable player in your workplace very quickly.

- Don't lick 4rse (managers), instead build relationships on mutual respect and familiarity. Managers (as I do) use and abuse weaklings. Establish very quickly that you don't take sh1t from no-one and are on the same level with them, despite hierarchy.

- You will find you have reasonable and easy-going managers. Use them to get your way.

- One last thing. You will come across some colleagues who try to get away with doing naff all. Tell them how it is and nip it in the bud VERY QUICKLY so that they know what you expect from them when they are working with you. Dont be a f4cking push-over oo Yaan lagugu shaqaysanin. Fariidii hooyadaa dhasay noqo lol.

Well done Narniah! Ilaahay ha kuu barakeeyo maalkaaga iyo xoogaaga... all the best and enjoy. If you need any advice or help, im only a PM away. ;)

Malika   

Bless.

My first job was working for my mother - as a receptionist/cashier at our restaurants, I did all my mothers tax return/insurance and wages - I was 17yrs old at that time - as for the pay, lets say, I was the best dressed teenager in town..lol

I taught Swedish to 'immigrants' as my second job as teenager - I was 19yrs....as Juxa said, there is no going back once you taste the fruits of your labour.....the rest is history, am still on the labour market and might be as long as life is within me.

I encourage any girl/woman to earn their own living - its liberating!!

My 1st..i was working at children hospital as an orderly who pushes kids to the surgery room and then pushes them back to the recovery room when the surgery is done!! it was an easy job. Some usually didnt make it...so i had to push them to fridge room.

so the docs leave, nurses stick around and thats was good. I use to get off at 10:00 pm & the nurses used to help me with my home work. However, they use to have wild parties 2!! Meet my first gf there. lol. 2 many chicks in hospitals.

Now...i dont even know what i do!!....i am sales/it/ whatever..! i work 8 to 10:00pm. 7 days a week & cant remember last time that i had a vacation.

Sometimes, i just feel like going back to my lil village in somali n just chill!! but my head sayss........hell no!!!

Narniah   

OdeySomali Thank you so much for all that advice that's exactly what I needed help with. I am going to do my best to implement it. I think it'll come in handy, for sure. :) and if I need any more advice I know who to ask.

My manager is impressed with me so far (he told me), and every supervisor wants me to work with them.:)! I feel like I'm already settled and know the ins n outs of what I have to do. I'm the only person so far who doesn't kiss up to the manager, actually it's the manager who comes to me and asks me how I am. It's because I don't kiss up to him. If I see him coming towards me, I just do my work and pretend he isn't there.

Some of my colleagues can definitely learn a thing or two about that.

Malika   

^It's called being a Somali. One of the characteristics I am so proud of - is having the courage not to be ' bu.t.t kisser'

Taleexi   

Kissing .i.t.. literally isn't bad at all.

My first job as a teenager was riding my bicycle with winter tires in the border of Finland and Sweden delivering advisement (Reklam).

Malika   

^There are different levels of kissing .i.t - taa nu dideynaa is when you start bowing like a Japanese as soon as your boss walks in - you say how high as soon as he/she opens their mouth - before they even asked you to do any jumping..Lol

Not kissing .i.t to me means confidence in ones ability without having to grovel nor quiver for no man.

Taleexi   

"Literally" supposed to remove from all metaphoric connotations that may be implied with the kissing. We see things eye-to-eye.

raula   

chubacka;872940 wrote:
My first job during college was in a coffee shop. Learnt to make great cappuccino there! Can't remember why I left, really enjoyed it.

The longer you're there Nah, the better you will get and the easier the job will be, stick with it. And blow your wages on something really ******, just coz you can.
:)

My first job was in a coffee shop too (Starbucks :D)

Congrats Narniah & all the best. Just to let you know, sometimes you'll have to "kiss some A**) to get to where you need to in life/career-doesn't mean you sabotaging your values/self-worth but just that's part of work. As i was advised once-know which battles to fight & which ones not to get so hyped up about. At all costs avoid office gossip (always try to stay neutral & less involved).

raula;873702 wrote:
At all costs avoid office gossip (always try to stay neutral & less involved).

x a 1000, word gets round. In fact, avoid any kind of gossip where you can.

Ms MoOns   

Chimera;873121 wrote:
I think every Somali mother should push their sons into picking up a paper-route, it builds character and discipline and a healthy dose of fear of the dark world lol.

LOL that was my first job too. Surprisingly, I did it for 5 years in my neigbourhood. Can't believe I lasted that long. All those winters on my own. But at some point you get used to it I guess. Also, in the winters, some of the people would feel sorry for me, going around with my bike in the snow, and they'd give me extra money when I got at their door, and I'd always be like; I don't need your money, thank you very much. LOL too proud to take it