Sign in to follow this  
Narniah

I started my....

Narniah   

First Job in my life! I am officially making my own money baby! I go to school and I study all at the same time. Woooot.

For some reason though my parents don't like me to work! They just keep insisting I don't work no upfront 'no' just hints here n there, lil dis encouragements. They always give me money when I need it and even when I don't. I have lots of siblings who are older then me who always buy me stuff. I think they're all way too overprotective of me and need to encourage me more to be more responsible and not turn me into a spoiled brat.

My work is really killing me softly, my feet hurt so much when I come home. It's nothing I had imagined, all I do is run around all day. Sometimes when the customers send me to get them stuff, I just run to the crew room to drink lol. I swear I bumped into the manager there while I was taking sips of my bottle. He was like ' u alright'? I'm like...drink drink drink...avoid eye contact. Shocker! Wasn't told off or anything, but awkward I'm telling you lol.

Some customers can be a right pain in the neck too, oh dear, I just want to go home at times and disappear but I don't want to give up so soon.

If you all want to know where I work, *drum rolls* It's.........Starts with a....S....let me say it in the Somali way 'Isportis directis' lol...Sports Direct! My super visor to my surprise is a Somali boy who only seems to have one thing on his mind when he sees me 'do you need more hours sis' he keeps loading me with extra shifts. *Sigh*.

What was your first job like, and is there any piece of advice you can give me.

Narniah   

Nah I'm not from there, but I'm certain the clothes are all the same everywhere. I started first working at the golf section, was tired of the rich middle aged men making me climb the stairs always making me get them things that are located at the top of the shelves. Dat one noo dat one nooo...oh shush up make up ur mind already! I requested I don't work there again and my lovely manager has now shifted me to other departments of our store. So now I am working at the baby section, but that isn't no breeze itself, I'm dealing with women who can't make up their minds, and kids who wander off to no where to be found. But I like the babies lol, the toddlers are a different story. Mamiieee I need to peee"! lol right after they slip on into the new clothes...haha! I'm like go right ahead, (be right back).

However when the men come with their kids, it's a different story. They know what they want, take it, and leave. They don't make a mess like the women and make the kids dress in the middle of the store, when we have dressing rooms available. Righttttt...put that on...right here. I dunno what's that all about. Odd.

I might just go to the Football section.

Wadani   

Lool, i enjoy reading ur posts narniah. Congrats on getting ur first job, it's a very important milestone because nowadays employers value job experience just as much if not more than education. I know many university grads who cant get jobs because they have little to no experience to speak of. So even if u don't really enjoy this job, take solace in the fact that ur setting urself up for success later on in the future.

Aaliyyah   

My first real job as a teenager was at a grocery store. I still remember my first day as a cashier habar somaliyeed baa iguso beegmatay and she was like habaryar meesha waa ku gacan gashay I was literally finding the numbers for each fruit or vagetable .later on I got better at it and memorized it lol. My only advice is keep going and don't get embarrassed over your little mistakes. You learn from your mistakes

P.s how nice it must be for you to have a Somali supervisor.

chubacka   

My first job during college was in a coffee shop. Learnt to make great cappuccino there! Can't remember why I left, really enjoyed it.

The longer you're there Nah, the better you will get and the easier the job will be, stick with it. And blow your wages on something really ******, just coz you can. :)

Chimera   

Congrats!

My first job was having a paper-route as a little boy. I remember there were a few dark houses in the early morning blackness that scared the hell out of me. I would push in the newspaper and then get the hell out of there, and there was always a feeling of an invisible hand trying to grab me........makes you want to scream hooyo!!!!

kiezen+voor+ochtendkrant+bezorgen+of+mid

Winter-time was the most brutal time, it cemented in me a lot of discipline. Nothing worse then getting out of your warm bed at 4:30 in the morning and deliver newspapers in the slippery cold weather full of self-imagined demons.

Juxa   

My first job was at a pharmacy, i was 16 and my mother encouraged me to get a job. She did not like us to sit around during the summer, second job was at a shop selling cups and plates i think

I never looked back, mar hadaad lacag dhadhamido waa bes. Do stick with the job, it gives you a sense of integrity and you will become responsible lady.

I always had a job even during uni, tough but doable. when you finish your education you will have something to put your CV.

wyre   

My First Job Was Cyber cafe Manager

My Second Job Was An Accountant

My Third Job Shipping Officer

My Current Job Waiter :D

wyre   

Chimera;872943 wrote:
Congrats!

My first job was having a paper-route as a little boy. I remember there were a few dark houses in the early morning blackness that scared the hell out of me. I would push in the newspaper and then get the hell out of there, and there was always a feeling of an invisible hand trying to grab me........makes you want to scream hooyo!!!!

kiezen+voor+ochtendkrant+bezorgen+of+mid

Winter-time was the most brutal time, it cemented in me a lot of discipline. Nothing worse then getting out of your warm bed at 4:30 in the morning and deliver newspapers in the slippery cold weather full of self-imagined demons.

That Was The Best Job I've Ever Heard Ab't :D

guerilla   

Apophis;872979 wrote:
^^ Because its it's unusual for women to get jobs, especially Somali women so it must be discussed as a huge step forward.

I think unemployment tends to be a lot higher when it comes to Somali males than females. And unless you're job is to get paid for posting in SOL I would argue you're the most unemployed system Lord ever

My teenage career went like this : Paper boy (4 months)-> Grocery clerk(1 month) -> Telemarketer(3 months)->Gas station attendant(10 months)-> Electronic Retail(9 months)-> Warehouse shipping/recieving(7 months)-> Data Entry (1 year and 2 months) and now I'm a student.

Chimera;872943 wrote:

Too true. I remember far too many -40C days as a paperboy in Edmonton. That short stint has turned me in to a norseman, I haven't bought a winter jacket since I moved to Toronto (4 years ago).