Sign in to follow this  
Narniah

~Humbled~

Narniah   

On my way home. I was passing a very dark street alone. Normally I get a ride home but due to unavoidable circumstances I was to go home by bus. I received a phone call from my cousin who immediately mocked me and said, 'This time speak in af somali or I'm hanging up on you walahi'. Showing him what I got I jokingly replied to him in my funny af Somali and we had a good laugh and that was the end of that call. Suddenly I was caught off guard by a distant male voice saying 'Ader ader kalay, i need help''. I looked all around I didn't know where the voice came from. I looked again and there in the corner to my surprise was a disheveled looking old man. My innate response was to just leg it. I was thinking to myself 'Don't talk back pretend like your deaf''. I was stopped by the red light and he was right behind me now, and I stood there apprehensively.

I heard him talk in af somali again and this time he said something along the lines 'did I hear you speak in Somali ader?' I still waited for the light to turn green but it seemed to take forever. Then I carefully turned my head back and made eye contact solemnly. When I first looked at him I saw a very tall, intimidating black man. When I looked closer I saw a kind but yet sad face. I was instantly moved and felt bad because I could see he was about to give up calling for me. I walked towards his direction fearing for my life, thinking what if he harms me. I know your all thinking gosh your so paranoid, but what if he was a criminal and let me remind you all it was awfully dark. Mind you, I take the whole 'Don't speak to a stranger very seriously.

I made this promise my father long time ago. One night when we watched the news we followed a story of a man who tried to help a pregnant woman and her husband who were being attacked by another man in some dark alley. It turned out it was all a set up, and that very man who tried to help the couple turned out paralyzed and got almost beaten up to death not only by the man but the pregnant woman also physically harmed him/ they also robbed him. I remember my father made me promise him that day to be careful of strangers, they're all a potential threat and could possibly harm me. Even the ones who look the most innocent.

I walked up to him he asked me, 'ader somali ma tahay'. I said Haa. He asked me this several times with a bewildered look on his face. He seemed surprised, because I don't look Somali at all. Feeling somewhat anxious asked him, how I could help him. Struggling with his big shaking old hands he went through his wallet and took out his bank card. Right where we stood there was an atm machine. He pointed towards it and said. 'Ader, ho kar keyga bangiga numberkga an ku shega some money iga so saar i dahai.

Surprised feeling more at ease, I took the card from him he told me his pin with complete trust. As he stood next to me he asked me to take out a sum of money. I did it for him, and gave him the money and his card he asked me, 'ader maha iga cabsatay marka'? I said to him, 'Ader maku akhani strangers ma la hadli walgey. He nodded his head with agreement saying few words 'Sah Sah, wa runta' ima takantid as he appeared to be in deep thoughts.

And said to me, 'ader ilah ba i ka so diri, qof i helpeyo u bahna lakeen adiga ku stopeyey. I then felt like I was really in front of my own family member. Even though I don't know this man I felt like I was helping my own awoowe or ayeeyo. Then he said to me, wan ku aminey marka i ak martay, hadana wa ii helpeysey, ilah iyo mala'iktisa haku hafido. I said Ameen. He said to me, Asalamalaikum wr wb and walked away. As I walked away, I catched myself taking glimpses towards his direction. I don't know why but I kept looking at him until I no longer could see him. I felt this need to make sure he was alright.

Then I noticed my bus passing me by right in front of me, as you can see though Allah had better plans for me tonight.

I know this story might be boring to some of you, but it really meant a lot to me. I'm not the kind of a person who will ever be approached by a Somali as most of them think I'm Arab. When I speak in Somali they still say 'are you mixed'? I always must explain myself alot in gatherings where Somalis are found. It's such a nuisance. Hence why I avoid it.

To have this elder Somali man approach me, shows I'm very Somali. Maybe if I hadn't spoken in Af somal he would have never stopped me from the crowds passing by. Even though he reassured me that he felt like Allah sent me to help him, I feel like he was sent to inspire me in ways I can't begin to explain. I wish I invited him to our home so he can meet my parents and my family. Unfortunately I didn't but I will never forget him.

It has also taught me the lesson that my language is all I have that shows who I am and were I ever to lose it that I'd lose my entire identity all together. I decided to take this very seriously, and take it upon myself to master my own language. I'm also immensely humbled by this old man who has come to me for need, but he gave me something in return that he will never know.

Aaliyyah   

Subhanalah, I am in tears. Your story didn't bored me at all, it rather touched me deeply walahi. Narniah glad you could help this miskiin elderly man. And trust me you weren't paranoid at all when you tried to avoid him all together since he was stranger, I feel the same way most of the time if a complete stranger approaches me out of nowhere. Our safety is very important. But, alhamdulilah everything turned out well. You were there for him when he was in need. Ilaahay baa ka abaal marinaya and yes it is about time you took pride in your language and learnt it. Baro afkaaga uun baad wax ku noqoni.

take care missy.

Chimera   

Nice story, its ironic that you felt proud to be recognised as a Somali, while an hour ago I for a moment wished I wasn't as a group of five hooded dudes followed me from the bus-stop. This was a case of flight or fight, and for some reason my legs felt like concrete, I think it was the nerves. or because I didn't want to lead them to my sister's house. I dropped my pizza box on the ground and clenched my fists:

Me: what do you want?

First dude(black): did you rat my brethren?

Me: what? I don't know you!

They kept trying to encircle me, but I made sure this wasn't going to happen, there is no doubt in my mind they had sharp objects hidden.

Second dude(white): Your that marlian dude Hassan aren't you.

Me: No that's not me.

There were two other white dudes that kept trying to flank me but luckily they felt intimidated enough to back off when threatened.

We did this dance for around two minutes, my pizza box was a couple dozen meters away now.

One of them revealed an iron tube. but they kept hesitating from attacking,

Just my luck not a single person other than us on this dark azz street.

The stand-off/dance brought us into a more lit area, and my face was clear now.

Second dude: Nah its not him blud,

And they left.

Not a scratch on me, but funny thing is, I kept thinking of SOL as they tried to encircle me, and how a SOLer most likely would dedicate a topic to me as another young Somali guy killed in the diaspora.

HELL NO!

(if they had guns, I would have most likely been killed as a 'misunderstanding', f.ck I rather be killed in Mogadishu if thats the case.)

Wadani   

Narniah, That was a wonderful read. There's just something about the bond we Somalis have; something deep and visceral about it.

Ibtisam   

Nice!!! Learn Somali, surprise the heck out of people by speaking in Af Somali- particularly as they stand there gossiping about you and your looks- some will nearly have a heart attack when you- on your way out say "maxaad igu cuntaye ee aad iga raabta, manata oo dhan aniga uun baad iga hadleysey" and then "Maad ilahey ka baqdii and xanta iska deysiid". Leave them staring after you. :D I love it, do it every chance I get- although, now in Somaliland chances are very few! ll

Adam :eek: :eek: Take care!!!!!!! and dont walk in dark corners for god sake!!!!! lool at someone dedicating a thread to you and we would not even know it was Adam. :( Im feeling so sad now :(

Malika   

^Heh. I usually say to them ' maa afsomaliga ayaad modeysaa inaad iga xigtiid' they get embarrased and go on and on about how they didnt think I would be Somali..lol

Narniah - Illahi ajaar haa kaa digo what you did - way to go sweetie!

Chimera - I shivered reading your post - it reminded me of a young man hacked to death in some park in London for same reason mistaken identity - a promising young Somali brother. Illahi baa kaa qabtee subhanallah.

Juxa   

kheyr allaha ku siiyo indeed, your post was not boring

it is kind to stop and say hi or hello to somali elderly people. i work in an area full of somalis and always have little chats with people i recognise as deriska. it means a lot to them and i enjoy their wisdom